[GNC] Cash Account Question

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[GNC] Cash Account Question

Lorrie Laskey
Looking over my accounts, I see a Cash account with what looks like every
cash transaction I have ever made going back 4 years. Since I don't track
my cash, it is a negative balance and is skewing the balance of my overall
accounts.

Do I need to track this and if not, how do I delete it without deleting the
individual transitions from their original accounts?

Lorrie
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Cash Account Question

John Ralls-2


> On Jan 22, 2019, at 7:24 PM, Lorrie Laskey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Looking over my accounts, I see a Cash account with what looks like every
> cash transaction I have ever made going back 4 years. Since I don't track
> my cash, it is a negative balance and is skewing the balance of my overall
> accounts.
>
> Do I need to track this and if not, how do I delete it without deleting the
> individual transitions from their original accounts?

What kind of account (i.e. asset, expense, etc.) is it and what’s an example of a transaction involving it?

I don’t track cash either and use an “expenses:cash” account to balance cash withdrawals. Is it something like that?

Regards,
John Ralls

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Cash Account Question

GnuCash - User mailing list
Lorrie,
John's suggestion will work. 
Assuming of course that you spent this cash, then you create transactions of some sort that move this cash to some expense account. John's technique will work, although it doesn't provide any information about how you have spent the money. 
I try occasionally to create transactions that allocate my cash along the lines of how I think I actually spent it.  So, something like:
Assets:Cash  -200Expenses:Dining  75Expenses:Household 125
Granted, at this point, it's all making things up, but it can help when running various reports to have numbers that might relate to reality. 
Of course, some people actually track their actual cash expenses, actually. I just never had that much dedication. 

Cheers,David
 
 
  On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 9:44, John Ralls<[hidden email]> wrote:  

> On Jan 22, 2019, at 7:24 PM, Lorrie Laskey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Looking over my accounts, I see a Cash account with what looks like every
> cash transaction I have ever made going back 4 years. Since I don't track
> my cash, it is a negative balance and is skewing the balance of my overall
> accounts.
>
> Do I need to track this and if not, how do I delete it without deleting the
> individual transitions from their original accounts?

What kind of account (i.e. asset, expense, etc.) is it and what’s an example of a transaction involving it?

I don’t track cash either and use an “expenses:cash” account to balance cash withdrawals. Is it something like that?

Regards,
John Ralls

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.  
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Cash Account Question

Adrien Monteleone-2
Yep, I’m one of those. I track every expense, entered from *where* I spent the funds. So if the money was the green folding kind (or coin) out of my wallet or pocket, I have an account for that. If I move money to/from my wallet, I track that too. And I routinely reconcile the amount. (no report of course to use, just a verification of the amount on hand when I do it.) But I do all of that because I’m part of the ‘un-banked’.

Regards,
Adrien

> On Jan 23, 2019, at 7:22 AM, David T. via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ...
> Of course, some people actually track their actual cash expenses, actually. I just never had that much dedication.
>
> Cheers,David
>


_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Cash Account Question

Michael or Penny Novack
On 1/23/2019 10:25 AM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
> Yep, I’m one of those. I track every expense, entered from *where* I spent the funds. So if the money was the green folding kind (or coin) out of my wallet or pocket, I have an account for that. If I move money to/from my wallet, I track that too. And I routinely reconcile the amount. (no report of course to use, just a verification of the amount on hand when I do it.) But I do all of that because I’m part of the ‘un-banked’.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien

Even people who ARE "banked" might have to do this. For example, were
they in an environment where lots of their transactions had to be in
cash. Not just a matter if THEY are "banked" but if the other people
they are interacting with are.

Michael D Novack
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Cash Account Question

Christian Kluge
Am 24.01.2019 um 01:32 schrieb Michael or Penny Novack:

> On 1/23/2019 10:25 AM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
>> Yep, I’m one of those. I track every expense, entered from *where* I
>> spent the funds. So if the money was the green folding kind (or coin)
>> out of my wallet or pocket, I have an account for that. If I move
>> money to/from my wallet, I track that too. And I routinely reconcile
>> the amount. (no report of course to use, just a verification of the
>> amount on hand when I do it.) But I do all of that because I’m part of
>> the ‘un-banked’.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Adrien
>
> Even people who ARE "banked" might have to do this. For example, were
> they in an environment where lots of their transactions had to be in
> cash. Not just a matter if THEY are "banked" but if the other people
> they are interacting with are.
>

I personally also track every transaction with every payment method and
also transactions of money between them.

It might also have something to do, that I also do this at my job, where
the requirements of tracking cash transactions are very strict due to
rules set by the financial authorities. If you don’t track your cash
right, they can estimate your sales.

I can’t understand why you wouldn’t track your cash payments. Either
track everything or nothing at all.

Kind regards

Christian Kluge

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.