[GNC] Capital losses in Advanced Portfolio Report

[GNC] Capital losses in Advanced Portfolio Report

José Antonio Fernández Troncoso
Hello,

In my advanced porfolio report, capital losses linked to a stock account are
added to the Income column as if they were dividends.

Could anyone using this report provide some feedback as to whether this also
happens to them? Is there a bug in the report or am I doing something wrong?

I'm using GnuCash Version: 3.2. Build ID: 3.2+ (2018-06-24).

Cheers,
Jose Troncoso

Re: [GNC] Capital losses in Advanced Portfolio Report

Richard Ullger-2
On 20/10/2018 17:19, José Antonio Fernández Troncoso wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In my advanced porfolio report, capital losses linked to a stock account are
> added to the Income column as if they were dividends.
>
> Could anyone using this report provide some feedback as to whether this also
> happens to them? Is there a bug in the report or am I doing something wrong?
>
> I'm using GnuCash Version: 3.2. Build ID: 3.2+ (2018-06-24).

I've been using this report for some time and have never seen this
behaviour. I'm currently using Build ID: git 3.3+ (2018-09-29)

The income column reflects the income that I have recorded against the
stock.

A capital loss is shown as a negative amount in the Realised Gain
column. However there appears to be a bug in the amount of Realised
Gain. The report seems to try to calculate the gain/loss rather than
report on any gain/loss recorded against the stock.

A loss in the valuation is shown as a negative amount in the Unrealised
Gain column.

Regards,

Richard.

Re: [GNC] Capital losses in Advanced Portfolio Report

José Antonio Fernández Troncoso
Yes, when I create a sale transaction on the stock, a capital loss is
calculated automatically by the report and shown as a negative amount in
the Realized Gain column. That's fine by me.

The problem is that when I add a split to record the loss manually on
the Expenses:Capital Loss acount, the amount recorded on the stock
acount split (in the Total Sell column) is then added to the Income
column of the report, as if it were a dividend.

Regards,
Jose

On Saturday, October 20, 2018 at 10:14:59 PM CEST Richard Ullger wrote:

> On 20/10/2018 17:19, José Antonio Fernández Troncoso wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > In my advanced porfolio report, capital losses linked to a stock
> > account are added to the Income column as if they were dividends.
> >
> > Could anyone using this report provide some feedback as to whether
> > this also happens to them? Is there a bug in the report or am I
> > doing something wrong?
> >
> > I'm using GnuCash Version: 3.2. Build ID: 3.2+ (2018-06-24).
>
> I've been using this report for some time and have never seen this
> behaviour. I'm currently using Build ID: git 3.3+ (2018-09-29)
>
> The income column reflects the income that I have recorded against the
> stock.
>
> A capital loss is shown as a negative amount in the Realised Gain
> column. However there appears to be a bug in the amount of Realised
> Gain. The report seems to try to calculate the gain/loss rather than
> report on any gain/loss recorded against the stock.
>
> A loss in the valuation is shown as a negative amount in the
> Unrealised Gain column.
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard.

Re: [GNC] Capital losses in Advanced Portfolio Report

John Ralls-2
That’s because the Advanced Portfolio Report is hard-wired to expect capital gains and losses to be posted to an income report with gains as credits and losses as debits.

> On Oct 21, 2018, at 3:18 AM, José A. Fernández Troncoso <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes, when I create a sale transaction on the stock, a capital loss is
> calculated automatically by the report and shown as a negative amount in
> the Realized Gain column. That's fine by me.
>
> The problem is that when I add a split to record the loss manually on
> the Expenses:Capital Loss acount, the amount recorded on the stock
> acount split (in the Total Sell column) is then added to the Income
> column of the report, as if it were a dividend.
>
> Regards,
> Jose
>
> On Saturday, October 20, 2018 at 10:14:59 PM CEST Richard Ullger wrote:
>> On 20/10/2018 17:19, José Antonio Fernández Troncoso wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> In my advanced porfolio report, capital losses linked to a stock
>>> account are added to the Income column as if they were dividends.
>>>
>>> Could anyone using this report provide some feedback as to whether
>>> this also happens to them? Is there a bug in the report or am I
>>> doing something wrong?
>>>
>>> I'm using GnuCash Version: 3.2. Build ID: 3.2+ (2018-06-24).
>>
>> I've been using this report for some time and have never seen this
>> behaviour. I'm currently using Build ID: git 3.3+ (2018-09-29)
>>
>> The income column reflects the income that I have recorded against the
>> stock.
>>
>> A capital loss is shown as a negative amount in the Realised Gain
>> column. However there appears to be a bug in the amount of Realised
>> Gain. The report seems to try to calculate the gain/loss rather than
>> report on any gain/loss recorded against the stock.
>>
>> A loss in the valuation is shown as a negative amount in the
>> Unrealised Gain column.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard.

Re: [GNC] Capital losses in Advanced Portfolio Report

GnuCash - User mailing list
Jose,

Just to be clear, I believe John is pointing out that your capital losses should be recorded in an Income account, rather than an Expense account.

David

> On Oct 21, 2018, at 8:05 PM, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> That’s because the Advanced Portfolio Report is hard-wired to expect capital gains and losses to be posted to an income report with gains as credits and losses as debits.

>> On Oct 21, 2018, at 3:18 AM, José A. Fernández Troncoso <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, when I create a sale transaction on the stock, a capital loss is
>> calculated automatically by the report and shown as a negative amount in
>> the Realized Gain column. That's fine by me.
>>
>> The problem is that when I add a split to record the loss manually on
>> the Expenses:Capital Loss acount, the amount recorded on the stock
>> acount split (in the Total Sell column) is then added to the Income
>> column of the report, as if it were a dividend.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jose

>>> I've been using this report for some time and have never seen this
>>> behaviour. I'm currently using Build ID: git 3.3+ (2018-09-29)
>>>
>>> The income column reflects the income that I have recorded against the
>>> stock.
>>>
>>> A capital loss is shown as a negative amount in the Realised Gain
>>> column. However there appears to be a bug in the amount of Realised
>>> Gain. The report seems to try to calculate the gain/loss rather than
>>> report on any gain/loss recorded against the stock.
>>>
>>> A loss in the valuation is shown as a negative amount in the
>>> Unrealised Gain column.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Richard.

>>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>>> -----

Re: [GNC] Capital losses in Advanced Portfolio Report

José Antonio Fernández Troncoso
Thank you, John and David:

Using an income acount to record the loss solves the issue.

I'm afraid I was misled by the Tutorial and Concepts Guide where it
says: "Account for the profit or loss as coming from an Income:Capital
Gains or Expenses:Capital Loss account. " (section 9.7.1.1).

Regards,
Jose

wrote:

> >> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> >> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> >> -----

> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.

Re: [GNC] Capital losses in Advanced Portfolio Report

GnuCash - User mailing list
Jose,

That is likely an error. It is interesting to see that none of the examples has the loss going into an expense account.

Thanks for pointing this out.

David

> On Oct 21, 2018, at 9:28 PM, José A. Fernández Troncoso <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thank you, John and David:
>
> Using an income acount to record the loss solves the issue.
>
> I'm afraid I was misled by the Tutorial and Concepts Guide where it
> says: "Account for the profit or loss as coming from an Income:Capital
> Gains or Expenses:Capital Loss account. " (section 9.7.1.1).
>
> Regards,
> Jose
>
> On Sunday, October 21, 2018 at 5:20:51 PM CEST David T. wrote:
>> Jose,
>>
>> Just to be clear, I believe John is pointing out that your capital
>> losses should be recorded in an Income account, rather than an
>> Expense account.
>>
>> David
>>
>>> On Oct 21, 2018, at 8:05 PM, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> That’s because the Advanced Portfolio Report is hard-wired to expect
>>> capital gains and losses to be posted to an income report with
>>> gains as credits and losses as debits.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> John Ralls

>>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>>> -----

Re: [GNC] Capital losses in Advanced Portfolio Report

Christian Kluge

isn’t this hard wiring and expecting bad style? Could you make in a way,
to select the both account types for the report?

I’d feel confortable making a debit entry to an income account if it
isn’t either a contra-income account like rebates or cash discounts or
as a correction entry on a normal standard income account.

Kind regards

Christian Kluge

Am 21.10.2018 um 16:35 schrieb John Ralls:

> That’s because the Advanced Portfolio Report is hard-wired to expect capital gains and losses to be posted to an income report with gains as credits and losses as debits.

>> On Oct 21, 2018, at 3:18 AM, José A. Fernández Troncoso <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, when I create a sale transaction on the stock, a capital loss is
>> calculated automatically by the report and shown as a negative amount in
>> the Realized Gain column. That's fine by me.
>>
>> The problem is that when I add a split to record the loss manually on
>> the Expenses:Capital Loss acount, the amount recorded on the stock
>> acount split (in the Total Sell column) is then added to the Income
>> column of the report, as if it were a dividend.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jose

>>> I've been using this report for some time and have never seen this
>>> behaviour. I'm currently using Build ID: git 3.3+ (2018-09-29)
>>>
>>> The income column reflects the income that I have recorded against the
>>> stock.
>>>
>>> A capital loss is shown as a negative amount in the Realised Gain
>>> column. However there appears to be a bug in the amount of Realised
>>> Gain. The report seems to try to calculate the gain/loss rather than
>>> report on any gain/loss recorded against the stock.
>>>
>>> A loss in the valuation is shown as a negative amount in the
>>> Unrealised Gain column.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Richard.

>>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>>> -----

Re: [GNC] Capital losses in Advanced Portfolio Report

Christopher Lam
It's hard wired because that's what the report writer wrote, and was
merged into gnucash, as a voluntary contribution.

It's rather difficult to modify these reports and maintain full
compatibility with everyone who has used them previously and expect the
report output to be predictable. Often the report behaviours are only
discovered by users reporting unusual behavior.

As discovered here this report expects transfers from STOCK/FUND accounts to

  * ASSET/LIABILITY for stock/fund purchases/sales
  * INCOME for capital gains/losses
  * EXPENSE for transactional costs eg brokerage fees

This is now well-defined (albeit not well documented yet), works well
within the Gnucash engine. IMHO the report shouldn't be modified.

On 22/10/18 2:39 am, Christian Kluge wrote:

> Hi,
>
> isn’t this hard wiring and expecting bad style? Could you make in a way,
> to select the both account types for the report?
>
> I’d feel confortable making a debit entry to an income account if it
> isn’t either a contra-income account like rebates or cash discounts or
> as a correction entry on a normal standard income account.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Christian Kluge
>
> Am 21.10.2018 um 16:35 schrieb John Ralls:
>> That’s because the Advanced Portfolio Report is hard-wired to expect capital gains and losses to be posted to an income report with gains as credits and losses as debits.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
>>

>>> On Oct 21, 2018, at 3:18 AM, José A. Fernández Troncoso <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, when I create a sale transaction on the stock, a capital loss is
>>> calculated automatically by the report and shown as a negative amount in
>>> the Realized Gain column. That's fine by me.
>>>
>>> The problem is that when I add a split to record the loss manually on
>>> the Expenses:Capital Loss acount, the amount recorded on the stock
>>> acount split (in the Total Sell column) is then added to the Income
>>> column of the report, as if it were a dividend.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Jose

Re: [GNC] Capital losses in Advanced Portfolio Report

Christian Kluge
A well defined error is still an error.

Am 22.10.2018 um 00:22 schrieb Christopher Lam:

> It's hard wired because that's what the report writer wrote, and was
> merged into gnucash, as a voluntary contribution.
>
> It's rather difficult to modify these reports and maintain full
> compatibility with everyone who has used them previously and expect the
> report output to be predictable. Often the report behaviours are only
> discovered by users reporting unusual behavior.
>
> As discovered here this report expects transfers from STOCK/FUND
> accounts to
>
>  * ASSET/LIABILITY for stock/fund purchases/sales
>  * INCOME for capital gains/losses
>  * EXPENSE for transactional costs eg brokerage fees
>

> This is now well-defined (albeit not well documented yet), works well
> within the Gnucash engine. IMHO the report shouldn't be modified.
>
> On 22/10/18 2:39 am, Christian Kluge wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> isn’t this hard wiring and expecting bad style? Could you make in a way,
>> to select the both account types for the report?
>>
>> I’d feel confortable making a debit entry to an income account if it
>> isn’t either a contra-income account like rebates or cash discounts or
>> as a correction entry on a normal standard income account.
>>
>> Kind regards
>>
>> Christian Kluge
>>
>> Am 21.10.2018 um 16:35 schrieb John Ralls:
>>> That’s because the Advanced Portfolio Report is hard-wired to expect
>>> capital gains and losses to be posted to an income report with gains
>>> as credits and losses as debits.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> John Ralls

>>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>>> -----

Re: [GNC] Capital losses in Advanced Portfolio Report

David Carlson-4
Christian,

You are referring to the "Tutorial and Concepts Guide where it says:
"Account for the profit or loss as coming from an Income:Capital Gains or
Expenses:Capital Loss account. " (section 9.7.1.1)" I presume, since the
preferred method of accounting for capital losses may vary according to
local laws and/or user preferences.

Whether the advanced portfolio report design is in error is not necessarily
true.

David C

On 21/10/2018 11:18, José A. Fernández Troncoso wrote:
> Yes, when I create a sale transaction on the stock, a capital loss is
> calculated automatically by the report and shown as a negative amount in
> the Realized Gain column. That's fine by me.

It presumes a tax regime, unfortunately.

> The problem is that when I add a split to record the loss manually on
> the Expenses:Capital Loss acount, the amount recorded on the stock
> acount split (in the Total Sell column) is then added to the Income
> column of the report, as if it were a dividend.

The general problem is that the report presumes you are merkin and have
few external tx

The other way is to go for Trading Accounts, but that means thinking
--
Wm

Re: [GNC] Capital losses in Advanced Portfolio Report

John Ralls-2

> On Nov 2, 2018, at 10:08 AM, Wm via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 21/10/2018 11:18, José A. Fernández Troncoso wrote:
>> Yes, when I create a sale transaction on the stock, a capital loss is
>> calculated automatically by the report and shown as a negative amount in
>> the Realized Gain column. That's fine by me.
>
> It presumes a tax regime, unfortunately.
>
>> The problem is that when I add a split to record the loss manually on
>> the Expenses:Capital Loss acount, the amount recorded on the stock
>> acount split (in the Total Sell column) is then added to the Income
>> column of the report, as if it were a dividend.
>
> The general problem is that the report presumes you are merkin and have few external tx
>
> The other way is to go for Trading Accounts, but that means thinking

It does not presume a tax regime. Booking gains and losses is necessary to balance the accounting equation: Assets increased or decreased and that change needs to be reflected somewhere in Equity via an income or expense split.