[GNC] Can't delete security

GnuCash - User mailing list
Because of the well-known difficulties associated with assigning the
correct currency to a security, I need to delete and recreate a
security.  I have deleted the initial transaction I created for this
security, as well as the investment account I created for the
transaction.  Nonetheless, when I try to "Remove" the security from the
"Security Editor", I get the message:

"That commodity is currently used by at least one of your accounts. You
may not delete it."

I am using GnuCash 2.6.19 running under Ubuntu Studio 18.04

How can I correct this?

Re: [GNC] Can't delete security

Derek Atkins-3
Hi,

rsbrux via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> writes:

> Because of the well-known difficulties associated with assigning the
> correct currency to a security, I need to delete and recreate a
> security.  I have deleted the initial transaction I created for this
> security, as well as the investment account I created for the
> transaction.  Nonetheless, when I try to "Remove" the security from
> the "Security Editor", I get the message:
>
> "That commodity is currently used by at least one of your
> accounts. You may not delete it."
>
> I am using GnuCash 2.6.19 running under Ubuntu Studio 18.04
>
> How can I correct this?

Do what it's telling you.  Delete the account that is using the
commodity.

GnuCash wont let you delete something that is referenced by another
object.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: [GNC] Can't delete security

GnuCash - User mailing list
@Derek,
Many thanks for your advice. Believe me, I've tried. Unfortunately, it
is a mystery to me why any account should still be using this security.
As mentioned below, I have deleted both the initial transaction and the
investment account I created for the security.  I don't know why any
other account should reference it.

@anyone,
How can I find out which account GnuCash thinks is using this security?
It occurred to me that I might be able to find out by doing a text
search of the GnuCash file, as I have understood that it is XML.
However, I cannot open it in mousepad, as it complains that the encoding
is not UTF-8.
Any hints as to how to proceed would be most welcome.

rsbrux via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> writes:

> Because of the well-known difficulties associated with assigning the
> correct currency to a security, I need to delete and recreate a
> security.  I have deleted the initial transaction I created for this
> security, as well as the investment account I created for the
> transaction.  Nonetheless, when I try to "Remove" the security from
> the "Security Editor", I get the message:
>
> "That commodity is currently used by at least one of your accounts.
> You may not delete it."
>
> I am using GnuCash 2.6.19 running under Ubuntu Studio 18.04
>
> How can I correct this?

Do what it's telling you.  Delete the account that is using the commodity.

GnuCash wont let you delete something that is referenced by another object.

        Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: [GNC] Can't delete security

Adrien Monteleone-2
You might have set the preference to compress the file. Either uncompress it from your file manager before opening, or unset the preference and perform another save from within GnuCash.

> On Feb 12, 2019, at 11:27 AM, rsbrux via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> @Derek,
> Many thanks for your advice. Believe me, I've tried. Unfortunately, it is a mystery to me why any account should still be using this security. As mentioned below, I have deleted both the initial transaction and the investment account I created for the security.  I don't know why any other account should reference it.
>
> @anyone,
> How can I find out which account GnuCash thinks is using this security? It occurred to me that I might be able to find out by doing a text search of the GnuCash file, as I have understood that it is XML. However, I cannot open it in mousepad, as it complains that the encoding is not UTF-8.
> Any hints as to how to proceed would be most welcome.

Re: [GNC] Can't delete security

Derek Atkins-3
Did you uncompress the XML file before trying to open it?

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: [GNC] Can't delete security

Thanks for the tip(s)!  I had forgotten that GC automatically creates a
"Trading" account.  After deleting that and the inital price ntry
created by the first transaction, I could delete the security.