[GNC] Calculate medical expenses for 2019

[GNC] Calculate medical expenses for 2019

Clair Garman
   I desire to use gnucash to work on an account showing all my medical
   expenses:

   1. extract the year 2019 into a new account

   2. set the Expense value on the first entry on the new account to 0
   (zero).

   3. have gnucash recalculate the appropriate values for Expense and
   Balance to all lines.

   Obviously I want gnucash to show the total of all my medical expenses
   for 2019.

Liz

Re: [GNC] Calculate medical expenses for 2019

Liz
Clair Garman wrote:

>    I desire to use gnucash to work on an account showing all my medical
>    expenses:
>
>    1. extract the year 2019 into a new account
>
>    2. set the Expense value on the first entry on the new account to 0
>    (zero).
>
>    3. have gnucash recalculate the appropriate values for Expense and
>    Balance to all lines.
>
>    Obviously I want gnucash to show the total of all my medical expenses
>    for 2019.
>
>    --

I would do this by way of making a report.
[I do not have Gnucash on this computer, so you are now dependent on my
memory]
Open the Expenses:Medical account
Use the Filter option to show 1st Jan 2019 to today
Make an Account Report for the displayed account.
If this is exactly what I want, save the report, for which it needs its
own name.
When I need 2020, change the dates in the saved report and save with yet
another name.

Liz

Re: [GNC] Calculate medical expenses for 2019

> On Mar 9, 2019, at 7:48 AM, Clair Garman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>   I desire to use gnucash to work on an account showing all my medical
>   expenses:
>
>   1. extract the year 2019 into a new account
>
>   2. set the Expense value on the first entry on the new account to 0
>   (zero).
>
>   3. have gnucash recalculate the appropriate values for Expense and
>   Balance to all lines.
>
>   Obviously I want gnucash to show the total of all my medical expenses
>   for 2019.

Ok. Do you have a question?

Re: [GNC] Calculate medical expenses for 2019

If your medical expenses span more than one account, you can use either the Transaction Report, or alternatively, an Income Statement/P&L and only choose those medical expense accounts. (no Income or other accounts)

In both cases, set your period to Start of year/End of year (or specify exact dates) in the General Tab.

There is no need to keep separate accounts for each year. (and that will get quite cumbersome)