[GNC] Budget (combine 2 categories?)

randix
I have two categories, that together I want to create a budget line for in a
budget report, eg I really don't have a specific budget for either one, but
I do for the total of the 2... is there any creative way to do that?

Thanks...

Re: [GNC] Budget (combine 2 categories?)

Adrien Monteleone-2
If by categories, you mean accounts, the only way I know of is to make them children of another account and put the budget in the parent. You don’t have to let the child amounts roll up, you can just specify the parent budget and leave the sub-accounts blank.

> On Apr 21, 2019, at 10:44 AM, randix <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have two categories, that together I want to create a budget line for in a
> budget report, eg I really don't have a specific budget for either one, but
> I do for the total of the 2... is there any creative way to do that?
>
> Thanks...

Re: [GNC] Budget (combine 2 categories?)

foxylady337
> On 21 Apr 2019, at 16:44, randix <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have two categories, that together I want to create a budget line for in a
> budget report, eg I really don't have a specific budget for either one, but
> I do for the total of the 2... is there any creative way to do that?
>
> Thanks...

I haven’t tried this, but suggest you might try setting up these two accounts as children of a parent account.

Michael

Re: [GNC] Budget (combine 2 categories?)

randix
Thanks, Adrien. Yea, I really don't want to do that (make them children of
another account and use the parent in the budget) as it would make no
logical sense in my account structure.  But appreciate the suggestion.

Re: [GNC] Budget (combine 2 categories?)

Garrett Smith
It would be nice to have a tags feature that would allow you to associate
transactions. For instance to associate all transactions across expense
accounts with a trip. I think I've read this has been talked about for the
past 15 years though.

Garrett

On Sun, Apr 21, 2019, 11:56 randix <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, Adrien. Yea, I really don't want to do that (make them children of
> another account and use the parent in the budget) as it would make no
> logical sense in my account structure.  But appreciate the suggestion.

Re: [GNC] Budget (combine 2 categories?)

I suspected as much. Of course, depending on your needs (like just a report), the change could be temporary.

Otherwise, you could create virtual accounts just for budgeting. Some envelope method implementations do this. Keeping track of everything can get tedious and you end up making budget-only splits each time those affected accounts appear in a transaction.

> On Apr 21, 2019, at 10:55 AM, randix <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks, Adrien. Yea, I really don't want to do that (make them children of
> another account and use the parent in the budget) as it would make no
> logical sense in my account structure.  But appreciate the suggestion.

Re: [GNC] Budget (combine 2 categories?)

randix
Garrett Smith wrote
> It would be nice to have a tags feature that would allow you to associate
> transactions. For instance to associate all transactions across expense
> accounts with a trip. I think I've read this has been talked about for the
> past 15 years though.

Yep, that would be purrfect... oh well, thanks.