[GNC] Bonus share entry

Xboxboy Mageia
Hi all,
I have some bonus shares that were issued with no cost to me:

I am having trouble entering them without a cost. When I put 0 as the cost,
on the next line 1 appears, and I am unable to get rid of it.

Perhaps I'm doing this the wrong way, and need to be entering them as a
share split?

In this case, I had 100 shares, and got issued 16 for no cost: so I have
116 in total.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Xboxboy

Re: [GNC] Fwd: Bonus share entry

Derek Atkins-3
The cost may be zero, but the value is not.
Maybe just enter them as 0.01?

-derek
Sent using my mobile device. Please excuse any typos.
On March 6, 2019 6:07:28 AM Gnucash Xboxboy Mageia
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have some bonus shares that were issued with no cost to me:
>
> I am having trouble entering them without a cost. When I put 0 as the cost,
> on the next line 1 appears, and I am unable to get rid of it.
>
> Perhaps I'm doing this the wrong way, and need to be entering them as a
> share split?
>
> In this case, I had 100 shares, and got issued 16 for no cost: so I have
> 116 in total.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Xboxboy

Re: [GNC] Fwd: Bonus share entry

Gnucash Xboxboy Mageia
On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 9:38 PM Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The cost may be zero, but the value is not.
> Maybe just enter them as 0.01?
>
> -derek
> Sent using my mobile device. Please excuse any typos.
> On March 6, 2019 6:07:28 AM Gnucash Xboxboy Mageia
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > I have some bonus shares that were issued with no cost to me:
> >
> > I am having trouble entering them without a cost. When I put 0 as the
> cost,
> > on the next line 1 appears, and I am unable to get rid of it.
> >
> > Perhaps I'm doing this the wrong way, and need to be entering them as a
> > share split?
> >
> > In this case, I had 100 shares, and got issued 16 for no cost: so I have
> > 116 in total.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Xboxboy
> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.

Hi Derek,

I've attached a picture, I don't think I'm explaining very well.

Please see attached.

What can I do about that imbalance line?
Many thanks,
Xboxboy

Screenshot_20190306_215426.png (46K) Download Attachment

Re: [GNC] Fwd: Bonus share entry

Christopher Lam
I wouldn't book this gift of shares as a zero-cost purchase.

I'd book it as as a full-priced BUY transaction, but with corresponding
account from Income:Gifts rather than Asset:Bank.

Because I'm not accountant I don't know what is the tax treatment of this
gift and would ensure the Income:Gifts is recorded and reported, and let
them decide if tax is due.

On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 at 19:28, Gnucash Xboxboy Mageia <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 9:38 PM Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > The cost may be zero, but the value is not.
> > Maybe just enter them as 0.01?
> >
> > -derek
> > Sent using my mobile device. Please excuse any typos.
> > On March 6, 2019 6:07:28 AM Gnucash Xboxboy Mageia
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > > I have some bonus shares that were issued with no cost to me:
> > >
> > > I am having trouble entering them without a cost. When I put 0 as the
> > cost,
> > > on the next line 1 appears, and I am unable to get rid of it.
> > >
> > > Perhaps I'm doing this the wrong way, and need to be entering them as a
> > > share split?
> > >
> > > In this case, I had 100 shares, and got issued 16 for no cost: so I
> have
> > > 116 in total.
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Xboxboy
> > > If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> > > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> > > -----
> >

> Hi Derek,
>
> I've attached a picture, I don't think I'm explaining very well.
>
> Please see attached.
>
> What can I do about that imbalance line?
> Many thanks,
> Xboxboy

Re: [GNC] Fwd: Bonus share entry

Fred Bone
On Wednesday, March 6, 2019 at 22:00, Gnucash Xboxboy Mageia said:

[...]
> Hi Derek,
>
> I've attached a picture, I don't think I'm explaining very well.
>
> Please see attached.
>
> What can I do about that imbalance line?

Delete it, and delete the price and value on the "buy" split.

Re: [GNC] Fwd: Bonus share entry

Gnucash Xboxboy Mageia
On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 10:22 PM Fred Bone <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wednesday, March 6, 2019 at 22:00, Gnucash Xboxboy Mageia said:
>
> [...]
> > Hi Derek,
> >
> > I've attached a picture, I don't think I'm explaining very well.
> >
> > Please see attached.
> >
> > What can I do about that imbalance line?
>
> Delete it, and delete the price and value on the "buy" split.

Fred,
I think I've done as you say, but it continues to place 1 in the line below?

I've attached an updated pic

Screenshot_20190306_223604.png (37K) Download Attachment

Re: [GNC] Fwd: Bonus share entry

Fred Bone
On Wednesday, March 6, 2019 at 22:38, Gnucash Xboxboy Mageia said:

> On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 10:22 PM Fred Bone <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, March 6, 2019 at 22:00, Gnucash Xboxboy Mageia said:
> >
> > [...]
> > > Hi Derek,
> > >
> > > I've attached a picture, I don't think I'm explaining very well.
> > >
> > > Please see attached.
> > >
> > > What can I do about that imbalance line?
> >
> > Delete it, and delete the price and value on the "buy" split.
> >

> Fred,
> I think I've done as you say, but it continues to place 1 in the line
> below?
>
> I've attached an updated pic

That is as it should be.

Re: [GNC] Fwd: Bonus share entry

Mageia,

There is a trick when manually typing to use the Tab key to traverse the
split line to prevent the 1 price from appearing.  However, if the bonus
shares are a taxable income they should be valued as such so they appear as
taxable income at tax time.

David Carlson

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 6:08 AM Gnucash Xboxboy Mageia <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 10:22 PM Fred Bone <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, March 6, 2019 at 22:00, Gnucash Xboxboy Mageia said:
> >
> > [...]
> > > Hi Derek,
> > >
> > > I've attached a picture, I don't think I'm explaining very well.
> > >
> > > Please see attached.
> > >
> > > What can I do about that imbalance line?
> >
> > Delete it, and delete the price and value on the "buy" split.
> >

> Fred,
> I think I've done as you say, but it continues to place 1 in the line
> below?
>
> I've attached an updated pic

David Carlson

Re: [GNC] Fwd: Bonus share entry

Deva -
Try using the Stock Split assistant to record bonus shares. When you use that assistant, it seems to have special privileges to accommodate a split with just the shares without associating a value to it. But when you try to replicate the same splits manually, you run into issues that you have described.

To use the stock split assistant -

- first, open the register in which bonus shares have been declared
- then click on Actions -> Stock Split, then Next
- it will automatically select the stock account you are in, so click next
- on the next screen, enter the date when bonus was issued and the no. of bonus shares (in your case, 16). You can change the description to Bonus instead of Stock Split
- on the next screen, it will ask you if there was a cash payout as well. If there was, enter the details here or skip. Then you are done.

This will create a split in your stock register without the imbalance issue.

You can run the Advanced Portfolio report and the balance sheet report after recording this split. It should show that your cost basis hasn’t changed.

Cheers.

Re: [GNC] Fwd: Bonus share entry

As David says, tab is your friend here.

As far as the valuation goes, the additional shares, when added at zero cost to you, will serve to reduce the overall cost basis of the position, which will be reflected in the gain amount when you sell. At least, that's how I understand it.

If they are in fact some kind of in-kind bonus (think stock bonus) that is given in lieu of a real value, then you would value the shares accordingly. Thus, a bonus of 100 shares in lieu of a $1000 bonus would be treated as bonus income, and each share in this transaction would be valued at $10.

I'd be careful in this situation not to mistakenly let this artificially-low price skew the value of the position.

Cheers,
David

[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 10:22 PM Fred Bone <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, March 6, 2019 at 22:00, Gnucash Xboxboy Mageia said:
> >
> > [...]
> > > Hi Derek,
> > >
> > > I've attached a picture, I don't think I'm explaining very well.
> > >
> > > Please see attached.
> > >
> > > What can I do about that imbalance line?
> >
> > Delete it, and delete the price and value on the "buy" split.
> >

> Fred,
> I think I've done as you say, but it continues to place 1 in the line
> below?
>
> I've attached an updated pic

David Carlson

Re: [GNC] Fwd: Bonus share entry

ChrisGood
Message: 6

> Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2019 22:00:16 +1030
> From: Gnucash Xboxboy Mageia <[hidden email]>
> To: Derek Atkins <[hidden email]>
> Cc: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [GNC] Fwd: Bonus share entry
>
>> On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 9:38 PM Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The cost may be zero, but the value is not.
>> Maybe just enter them as 0.01?
>>
>> -derek
>> Sent using my mobile device. Please excuse any typos.
>> On March 6, 2019 6:07:28 AM Gnucash Xboxboy Mageia
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> I have some bonus shares that were issued with no cost to me:
>>>
>>> I am having trouble entering them without a cost. When I put 0 as the
>> cost,
>>> on the next line 1 appears, and I am unable to get rid of it.
>>>
>>> Perhaps I'm doing this the wrong way, and need to be entering them as a
>>> share split?
>>>
>>> In this case, I had 100 shares, and got issued 16 for no cost: so I have
>>> 116 in total.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Xboxboy
>>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>>> -----
> Hi Derek,
>
> I've attached a picture, I don't think I'm explaining very well.
>
> Please see attached.
>
> What can I do about that imbalance line?
> Many thanks,
> Xboxboy

Hi XBoxBoy,

If the tax authorities have agreed that you are getting these bonus shares for zero cost, then to keep the cost correct in GnuCash you will have to do a dummy sell of all your existing shares at cost, and then in another transaction, buy them, including the bonus qty, at the same cost. Assuming this is for your personal accounting, it probably doesn't matter which account you use for the other side in each transaction - you could probably use either a bank account (and if you reconcile that bank account, flag the transactions as reconciled even though they never appear on a bank statement) or an Equity:Opening Balances account - you should check with your accountant.

Doing this will mean manually keeping track of lots bought and sold when determining costs of future sales.

Regards, Chris Good

Re: [GNC] Fwd: Bonus share entry

Chris,

That's a bad idea. It messes up the lots as you note, it screws up the acquisition dates (important for tax purposes in the US), and ultimately it's not what happened. Since it is possible to add zero cost shares using tab (instead of enter), there is no reason to use this approach. You certainly don't *have* to use it.

David

On March 7, 2019, at 2:29 AM, Chris Good <[hidden email]> wrote:

Message: 6

> Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2019 22:00:16 +1030
> From: Gnucash Xboxboy Mageia <[hidden email]>
> To: Derek Atkins <[hidden email]>
> Cc: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [GNC] Fwd: Bonus share entry
>
>> On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 9:38 PM Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The cost may be zero, but the value is not.
>> Maybe just enter them as 0.01?
>>
>> -derek
>> Sent using my mobile device. Please excuse any typos.
>> On March 6, 2019 6:07:28 AM Gnucash Xboxboy Mageia
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> I have some bonus shares that were issued with no cost to me:
>>>
>>> I am having trouble entering them without a cost. When I put 0 as the
>> cost,
>>> on the next line 1 appears, and I am unable to get rid of it.
>>>
>>> Perhaps I'm doing this the wrong way, and need to be entering them as a
>>> share split?
>>>
>>> In this case, I had 100 shares, and got issued 16 for no cost: so I have
>>> 116 in total.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Xboxboy
>>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>>> -----
> Hi Derek,
>
> I've attached a picture, I don't think I'm explaining very well.
>
> Please see attached.
>
> What can I do about that imbalance line?
> Many thanks,
> Xboxboy

Hi David,

You're right, I was confusing this with the problem where the Advanced Portfolio Report doesn't handle Return Of Capital transactions, but it seems to handle zero cost and price transactions OK. Sorry for the bad advice XBoxBoy.

Regards,
Chris Good

[GNC] Fwd: Fwd: Bonus share entry

Gnucash Xboxboy Mageia
Thanks everyone: I think David's tab trick worked. It appears to have
worked anyways.

Now my next trick, is a double trick:
During the ownership of a company, it has changed it's name/code. How does
one best handle this?

and

I have 163 shares in a company that had a capital reconstruction, and after
wards it has 98 shares: So the reverse of a stock split: Can the stock
split process handle this?

I appreciate everyone's input.
Xboxboy

On Sat, Mar 9, 2019 at 5:32 PM Chris Good <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

Re: [GNC] Fwd: Bonus share entry

Gnucash Xboxboy Mageia
I managed to sort the capital reconstruction out: Stock split with a
negative value.

As for the naming and code issue: I think I'll just rename the stock to
it's final name, and enter notes on the earlier transactions before the
name change?
Or is there a proper way to handle this? I was also thinking the stock
merger feature could be used?