[GNC] Backup and restore GnuCash Settings

[GNC] Backup and restore GnuCash Settings

Nikos Charonitakis
Hi All
I have recently made a back of my home directory on a fedora 27 pc
and then i restored it to a new installation on fedora 28. I was
expecting to open Gnucash and continue working on my latest Gnucash
file and also have all my settings in place but this was not the case.
Running Gnucash on the new installation is like you start application
for the first time.
Firefox for example does not have this behavior, all my setting
plugins, bookmarks,passwords are in their place after restoring my
home dir.
Any ideas how to fix  this?

Note:
This is not specific to GnuCash 3, i have seen the same thing and on
previous gnucash versions.

Nikos

Re: [GNC] Backup and restore GnuCash Settings

David Carlson-4
I am not an expert on Linux, so do not quote me here.  I think that GnuCash
puts the settings in a hidden folder under your user directory.  Does your
backup program also back up the hidden folders?

David C

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 10:00 AM, Nikos Charonitakis <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi All
> I have recently made a back of my home directory on a fedora 27 pc
> and then i restored it to a new installation on fedora 28. I was
> expecting to open Gnucash and continue working on my latest Gnucash
> file and also have all my settings in place but this was not the case.
> Running Gnucash on the new installation is like you start application
> for the first time.
> Firefox for example does not have this behavior, all my setting
> plugins, bookmarks,passwords are in their place after restoring my
> home dir.
> Any ideas how to fix  this?
>
> Note:
> This is not specific to GnuCash 3, i have seen the same thing and on
> previous gnucash versions.
>
> Nikos

Re: [GNC] Backup and restore GnuCash Settings

Ronal B Morse-2
Fedora version 28 installs Gnucash 3.0.1.something if you use the
version in the Fedora 28 repository.  Not sure which version is in the
Fedora 27 repo, but I'll wager it's one of the 2.XX releases.

RBM

Op woensdag 16 mei 2018 17:00:19 CEST schreef Nikos Charonitakis:

> Hi All
> I have recently made a back of my home directory on a fedora 27 pc
> and then i restored it to a new installation on fedora 28. I was
> expecting to open Gnucash and continue working on my latest Gnucash
> file and also have all my settings in place but this was not the case.
> Running Gnucash on the new installation is like you start application
> for the first time.
> Firefox for example does not have this behavior, all my setting
> plugins, bookmarks,passwords are in their place after restoring my
> home dir.
> Any ideas how to fix  this?
>
> Note:
> This is not specific to GnuCash 3, i have seen the same thing and on
> previous gnucash versions.

In addition to the other replies, a number of settings (like the first-run
flag or the last opened file history) is stored in gsettings (which on linux
is backed by dconf). Did you also backup and restore your dconf storage ?

Re: [GNC] Backup and restore GnuCash Settings

Since Firefox stores user prefs in $HOME/.mozilla, I’d be surprised if .gnucash didn’t get backed up also, unless the OP used a custom command and .mozilla was specifically included and .gnucash wasn’t.

But if this were some sort of backup app and it was set to backup hidden files, then .gnucash should be there. Perhaps it didn’t get restored though.

> On May 16, 2018, at 11:10 AM, C M Reinehr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> As a long time Linux user and having used GnuCash for several years I can tell you that your GnuCash settings are in a hidden file in your home directory: ~/.gnucash
>
> You didn't say how you made your backup so, as David asked, did you back up your hidden files. If, for example, you used `tar` by running the command `tar cvf /home/tmp/backup.tar /home/nikos` then your hidden files should have been copied. However, if you instead ran `tar cvf backup.tar *` from within your home directory, your hidden files would not have been copied.
>
> HTH
>
> CMR
>

> On 05/16/2018 10:50 AM, David Carlson wrote:
>> I am not an expert on Linux, so do not quote me here.  I think that GnuCash
>> puts the settings in a hidden folder under your user directory.  Does your
>> backup program also back up the hidden folders?
>>
>> David C
>>
>> On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 10:00 AM, Nikos Charonitakis <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All
>>> I have recently made a back of my home directory on a fedora 27 pc
>>> and then i restored it to a new installation on fedora 28. I was
>>> expecting to open Gnucash and continue working on my latest Gnucash
>>> file and also have all my settings in place but this was not the case.
>>> Running Gnucash on the new installation is like you start application
>>> for the first time.
>>> Firefox for example does not have this behavior, all my setting
>>> plugins, bookmarks,passwords are in their place after restoring my
>>> home dir.
>>> Any ideas how to fix  this?
>>>
>>> Note:
>>> This is not specific to GnuCash 3, i have seen the same thing and on
>>> previous gnucash versions.
>>>
>>> Nikos
>>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>>> -----

> Linux distribution Debian 8 "Jessie"
> ----
> "The more you observe politics, the more you've got to admit that each party is worse than the other." -- Will Rogers
> ------

Re: [GNC] Backup and restore GnuCash Settings

Nikos Charonitakis
-All home folders (hidden or not) were saved and then then restored...
-Same behavior even if the new installation is the same gnucash
version e.g. Fedora 27 to Fedora 27

> Hi All
> I have recently made a back of my home directory on a fedora 27 pc
> and then i restored it to a new installation on fedora 28. I was
> expecting to open Gnucash and continue working on my latest Gnucash
> file and also have all my settings in place but this was not the case.
> Running Gnucash on the new installation is like you start application
> for the first time.
> Firefox for example does not have this behavior, all my setting
> plugins, bookmarks,passwords are in their place after restoring my
> home dir.
> Any ideas how to fix  this?
>
> Note:
> This is not specific to GnuCash 3, i have seen the same thing and on
> previous gnucash versions.
>
> Nikos

Re: [GNC] Backup and restore GnuCash Settings

Adrien Monteleone-2
Was this the order of operations?

#1 Upgrade/Install new OS version
#2 Restore backup
#3 Install new version of GnuCash

If #2 happened before #3, perhaps the GnuCash install is overwriting the restored .gnucash folder with a fresh copy.

Does restoring just that folder again from the backup restore your settings?

If so, then a bug should be filed on the overwrite issue.

If you installed GnuCash first and then restored the .gnucash folder from the backup, then for some reason it is not being seen.

But one last thing to check:

Perhaps you have a permissions/ownership issue? Is the .gnucash folder and contents owned by your current user number with the proper read-write permissions? Be sure to check the owner’s user #, not just the name. So if you were user 1000 in Fedora 27, you’d need to be user 1000 in v.28 or else change the ownership of .gnucash and contents to your new user number.

> On May 16, 2018, at 1:52 PM, Nikos Charonitakis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> -All home folders (hidden or not) were saved and then then restored...
> -Same behavior even if the new installation is the same gnucash
> version e.g. Fedora 27 to Fedora 27

>> Hi All
>> I have recently made a back of my home directory on a fedora 27 pc
>> and then i restored it to a new installation on fedora 28. I was
>> expecting to open Gnucash and continue working on my latest Gnucash
>> file and also have all my settings in place but this was not the case.
>> Running Gnucash on the new installation is like you start application
>> for the first time.
>> Firefox for example does not have this behavior, all my setting
>> plugins, bookmarks,passwords are in their place after restoring my
>> home dir.
>> Any ideas how to fix  this?
>>
>> Note:
>> This is not specific to GnuCash 3, i have seen the same thing and on
>> previous gnucash versions.
>>
>> Nikos

Re: [GNC] Backup and restore GnuCash Settings

Michael DeBusk-2
On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 11:03 AM Nikos Charonitakis <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I have recently made a back of my home directory on a fedora 27 pc
> and then i restored it to a new installation on fedora 28. I was
> expecting to open Gnucash and continue working on my latest Gnucash
> file and also have all my settings in place but this was not the case.
> Running Gnucash on the new installation is like you start application
> for the first time.

I upgraded from Ubuntu 17.10 to Ubuntu 18.04 this past weekend and
installed Gnucash 3.1 per the instructions on the wiki. Things went without
a hitch (with Gnucash, anyway) and the new version looks lovely. I've never
had an issue with losing my settings from an upgrade.

I will strongly encourage you to use a separate /home partition. I've done
this for years and it makes upgrading -- dare I say it? -- easy.

--
Home: http://nlphilia.com     * Blog: http://nlphilia.net
Registered Linux User #450983 * Ubuntu Counter Project #10548