[GNC] Autofill with Open Date?

Sensei Tim Rosanelli
Hi All,

I am using Gnucash for my business and love it but I have one question.

Most of my transaction are via credit card. That means that the invoice
open date, line item date, post date, due date, and payment date are all
the same. Gnucash autofills with todays date but I am usually entering
invoices a few day later.  Gnucash requires me to enter each date
individually which requires a huge amount of time.

Is there any way to automatically enter the post date, due date, and
payment? Or is there any way for these field to autofill with the open
date instead of today's date? This would save me hours of work each month.

Thanks.

Tim Rosanelli

Re: [GNC] Autofill with Open Date?

Maf. King
On Wednesday, 6 June 2018 16:25:15 BST Sensei Tim Rosanelli wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am using Gnucash for my business and love it but I have one question.
>
> Most of my transaction are via credit card. That means that the invoice
> open date, line item date, post date, due date, and payment date are all
> the same. Gnucash autofills with todays date but I am usually entering
> invoices a few day later.  Gnucash requires me to enter each date
> individually which requires a huge amount of time.
>
> Is there any way to automatically enter the post date, due date, and
> payment? Or is there any way for these field to autofill with the open
> date instead of today's date? This would save me hours of work each month.

Hi Tim,

I only use the business features for items that really are Accounts Payable,
where the bill will be paid some time after the date that is has been raised.

For items that my business buys directly - by card or cash - I don't bother
with the whole create invoice - process payment and just use a credit card
register for those transactions.

0.02
Maf.

"Maf. King" <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Wednesday, 6 June 2018 16:25:15 BST Sensei Tim Rosanelli wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am using Gnucash for my business and love it but I have one question.
>>
>> Most of my transaction are via credit card. That means that the invoice
>> open date, line item date, post date, due date, and payment date are all
>> the same. Gnucash autofills with todays date but I am usually entering
>> invoices a few day later.  Gnucash requires me to enter each date
>> individually which requires a huge amount of time.
>>
>> Is there any way to automatically enter the post date, due date, and
>> payment? Or is there any way for these field to autofill with the open
>> date instead of today's date? This would save me hours of work each month.
>>

> Hi Tim,
>
> I only use the business features for items that really are Accounts Payable,
> where the bill will be paid some time after the date that is has been raised.
>
> For items that my business buys directly - by card or cash - I don't bother
> with the whole create invoice - process payment and just use a credit card
> register for those transactions.

Moreover, it sounds like Tim is using an A/R or A/P register directly.
Don't do that!  Those registers are not meant for Human Interaction --
transactions into those registers are generally only supposed to be
created by using the Business features (Invoice/Bill etc).

> 0.02
> Maf.

Re: [GNC] Autofill with Open Date?

Sensei Tim Rosanelli
   Hey Maf,
   Thanks for the advice.
   I thought about a solution like that but wouldn't that mean you don't
   have any customer history.
   Kyoshi Tim

Re: [GNC] Autofill with Open Date?

elvis-5
On 09/06/18 07:30, Tim Rosanelli wrote:
>     Hey Maf,
>     Thanks for the advice.
>     I thought about a solution like that but wouldn't that mean you don't
>     have any customer history.
>     Kyoshi Tim
Hi Tim,
For purchases, what I do is import a few weeks at a time from the bank
using a qif file. I don't use the business features as they are
incredibly clunky if you just want to enter a Mars bar or series of
small items. That gives the correct date etc and lets me split the
transaction automatically to add gst before the import.

Cheers
Lawrence

Political Correctness: a method to mask one's phobias

Re: [GNC] Autofill with Open Date?

Not sure how a customer report relates to your credit card expenses (did you mean Vendor report?), but you can run transaction reports and key off of Description (your payee/vendor).

A/P is for situations where the payment and expense are not at the same time. That’s not the case with a charge on a credit card. (the charge is the ‘payment’ of the expense in this case. The payment on the card account is a separate issue)