[GNC] Assign one payment to multiple invoices (from several customers)

Bat

[GNC] Assign one payment to multiple invoices (from several customers)

Bat
Hi

this is a subject that appears regularly on the mailing list, but I can
not find fine answer neither plan to improve the situation.

Some of my customers often pay for their invoices plus for the one of
other customer. So I get one payment (with one reference) to split to
multiple invoices.

The distribution of one payment to several invoices is natural through
business features if the invoices are for the same customer. But not if
the invoices belong to several customers.

So today, I record the payment on the customer’s invoice, go into the AR
account and verify the splits of the transaction, go into Action -> Lots
to manually remove the other split from the customer payment lot and
assign it to the other customer invoice lot.

Is – there a better way to do that ?

Is – there a plan to allow selecting several customers invoices in
manage a payment GUI ?

Thanks

--
🦇 ~^v^~ Bat

Re: [GNC] Assign one payment to multiple invoices (from several customers)

foxylady337
> On 5 Sep 2019, at 16:07, Bat <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> this is a subject that appears regularly on the mailing list, but I can not find fine answer neither plan to improve the situation.
>
> Some of my customers often pay for their invoices plus for the one of other customer. So I get one payment (with one reference) to split to multiple invoices.
>
> The distribution of one payment to several invoices is natural through business features if the invoices are for the same customer. But not if the invoices belong to several customers.
>
> So today, I record the payment on the customer’s invoice, go into the AR account and verify the splits of the transaction, go into Action -> Lots to manually remove the other split from the customer payment lot and assign it to the other customer invoice lot.
>
> Is – there a better way to do that ?
>
> Is – there a plan to allow selecting several customers invoices in manage a payment GUI ?
>
> Thanks

Isn't it possible to treat the single payment (for example, covering three invoices) as three separate payments, one for each invoice?

(I don’t use the business features, so can’t try this out).

Michael

Re: [GNC] Assign one payment to multiple invoices (from several customers)

There is a ‘better’ way, at least one that doesn’t involve messing with lots.

I’m not sure if anyone has filed an RFE for this use case though. If you don’t see something on Bugzilla, feel free to file it, though it might not be implemented with any haste as this is definitely not a common case. (one business I used to work for did occasionally have this situation a couple of times per year)

I would create a holding asset account to receive the payment initially. (don’t apply it to an invoice yet)

Then pay the various invoices from that holding account. You’ll have to apply payments for each customer separately. (but can select multiple invoices for any one customer at a time as before)

You can use the same NUM if you like for all transactions so their references match.

An example account might be a sub-account of AR, 'Assets:Current Assets:Accounts Receivable:Payments Pending’, but don’t make it as “type” ‘AR’ make sure it is just of type “Asset”.

Let’s say CustomerA made a payment of 1000.00 with 800.00 being for two of their own invoices and 200.00 being for CustomerB

The initial receipt would look like this:

Dr. Assets:Current Assets:Checking/Cash/Undeposited Funds 1000.00
        Cr. Assets:Current Assets:Accounts Receivable:Payments Pending 1000.00

Then after you apply CustomerA’s portion to their two invoices:

Dr. Assets:Current Assets:Accounts Receivable:Payments Pending 800.00
        Cr. Assets:Current Assets:Accounts Receivable 800.00

And after you apply the remaining amount to CustomerB’s invoice(s):

Dr. Assets:Current Assets:Accounts Receivable:Payments Pending 200.00
        Cr. Assets:Current Assets:Accounts Receivable 200.00

---------

There might be other ways which involve applying the entire payment to CustomerA’s account (leaving the balance as an ‘overpayment/pre-payment’) then ‘refunding’ the difference to some holding account, then applying it to CustomerB but those would involve more steps.

In any case, I’d model the real-world movement of funds as best as possible. (this latter case might be what you need to do if a customer decided months later to apply a credit from over/pre-payment to say, the balance for a friend, child, etc.

But you should be able to accomplish this modeling without resorting to editing lots. The only time I edit lots is if through unposting and reposting bills/invoices, GnuCash doesn’t re-apply my various payments properly.

Finally, I’d be sure to use all needed fields at my disposal to document what was going on so I could see at a glance that the various AR payments were really a single receipt, or involved credit applied from one Customer to another. You have the NUM field, Action field (which can be anything you like, though single words are probably best), Notes field (only visible in Double Line Mode), and the Memo field for each split.

> On Sep 5, 2019 w36d248, at 10:07 AM, Bat <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> this is a subject that appears regularly on the mailing list, but I can not find fine answer neither plan to improve the situation.
>
> Some of my customers often pay for their invoices plus for the one of other customer. So I get one payment (with one reference) to split to multiple invoices.
>
> The distribution of one payment to several invoices is natural through business features if the invoices are for the same customer. But not if the invoices belong to several customers.
>
> So today, I record the payment on the customer’s invoice, go into the AR account and verify the splits of the transaction, go into Action -> Lots to manually remove the other split from the customer payment lot and assign it to the other customer invoice lot.
>
> Is – there a better way to do that ?
>
> Is – there a plan to allow selecting several customers invoices in manage a payment GUI ?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> 🦇 ~^v^~ Bat

Re: [GNC] Assign one payment to multiple invoices (from several customers)

You could manually enter three transactions but that might get confusing months later if you need to review something. Better to try to model the real-world transaction if possible.

Bat

Re: [GNC] Assign one payment to multiple invoices (from several customers)

Bat

thank you for your suggestions.

I understand your propositions, though they would involve many more
manual steps (rather than using the [Pay] action on an invoice or
[Process Payment] from Business menu).

And it would not be in the gnucash internal logic, which manage invoice
payments (through lots) at split level (which seems logic and fine).

It is really just a UI difficulty and its a pitty that their is no way
to do it correctly easily.

Thank you anyway, I’m filling a request in bugzilla, and just may hope
that it improves …

🦇 ~^v^~ Bat

On 06/09/2019 13:20, Adrien Monteleone wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> The distribution of one payment to several invoices is natural through business features if the invoices are for the same customer. But not if the invoices belong to several customers.
>>
>> So today, I record the payment on the customer’s invoice, go into the AR account and verify the splits of the transaction, go into Action -> Lots to manually remove the other split from the customer payment lot and assign it to the other customer invoice lot.
>>
>> Is – there a better way to do that ?
>>
>> Is – there a plan to allow selecting several customers invoices in manage a payment GUI ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> --
>> 🦇 ~^v^~ Bat

Re: [GNC] Assign one payment to multiple invoices (from several customers)

Derek Atkins-3

Bat <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi
>
> this is a subject that appears regularly on the mailing list, but I
> can not find fine answer neither plan to improve the situation.

Um, no, it does not appear regularly.  Indeed, this is the first time in
19 years that someone has asked about paying invoices for multiple
customers with a single payment.

> Some of my customers often pay for their invoices plus for the one of
> other customer. So I get one payment (with one reference) to split to
> multiple invoices.

Color me confused, but why would one customer be paying invoices for
another customer?  Do you pay your neighbor's power bill as well as your
own with one payment?

> The distribution of one payment to several invoices is natural through
> business features if the invoices are for the same customer. But not
> if the invoices belong to several customers.

Right.  Why would a customer pay someone else's invoice?

> So today, I record the payment on the customer’s invoice, go into the
> AR account and verify the splits of the transaction, go into Action ->
> Lots to manually remove the other split from the customer payment lot
> and assign it to the other customer invoice lot.
>
> Is – there a better way to do that ?

There is no way to split a single payment across customers, and I don't
see that ever being supported.  However, you can work around it by using
a suspense account where you process payment for the different customers
into the suspense account, and then manually transfer that suspense
account to your bank.

I'll note that this approach works for single payments for multiple
customers, or even multiple payments for a single customer -- all of
which get deposited together.

> Is – there a plan to allow selecting several customers invoices in
> manage a payment GUI ?

No.

> Thanks

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: [GNC] Assign one payment to multiple invoices (from several customers)

GnuCash - User mailing list
On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 01:09:18PM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Bat <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > this is a subject that appears regularly on the mailing list, but I
> > can not find fine answer neither plan to improve the situation.
>
> Um, no, it does not appear regularly.  Indeed, this is the first time in
> 19 years that someone has asked about paying invoices for multiple
> customers with a single payment.
>
> > Some of my customers often pay for their invoices plus for the one of
> > other customer. So I get one payment (with one reference) to split to
> > multiple invoices.
>
> Color me confused, but why would one customer be paying invoices for
> another customer?  Do you pay your neighbor's power bill as well as your
> own with one payment?
>
> > The distribution of one payment to several invoices is natural through
> > business features if the invoices are for the same customer. But not
> > if the invoices belong to several customers.
>
> Right.  Why would a customer pay someone else's invoice?

Parent company paying utilities for its child companies?

> > So today, I record the payment on the customer’s invoice, go into the
> > AR account and verify the splits of the transaction, go into Action ->
> > Lots to manually remove the other split from the customer payment lot
> > and assign it to the other customer invoice lot.
> >
> > Is – there a better way to do that ?
>
> There is no way to split a single payment across customers, and I don't
> see that ever being supported.  However, you can work around it by using
> a suspense account where you process payment for the different customers
> into the suspense account, and then manually transfer that suspense
> account to your bank.
>
> I'll note that this approach works for single payments for multiple
> customers, or even multiple payments for a single customer -- all of
> which get deposited together.
>
> > Is – there a plan to allow selecting several customers invoices in
> > manage a payment GUI ?
>
> No.
>
> > Thanks

>        Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
>        [hidden email]             www.ihtfp.com
>        Computer and Internet Security Consultant

---- Fred Smith -- [hidden email] -----------------------------
                      The eyes of the Lord are everywhere,
                    keeping watch on the wicked and the good.
----------------------------- Proverbs 15:3 (niv) -----------------------------

Re: [GNC] Assign one payment to multiple invoices (from several customers)

Adrien Monteleone-2

> On Sep 11, 2019 w37d254, at 3:26 PM, Fred Smith via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Right.  Why would a customer pay someone else's invoice?
>
> Parent company paying utilities for its child companies?

Parents paying on their kids accounts, children paying for their parents, siblings paying the same. People who each have their own accounts and making a payment, but sharing a particular invoice that had to go under someone else’s name. (the sibling case is common here, like all paying for a gift for the parents that was on one siblings account)

It happens. Maybe not with more frequency than a few times per year unless you’ve got some sort of corporate arrangement like Fred noted, but it does happen.

As both Derek and I mentioned, a separate suspense account will suffice. Or as I also noted, taking the payment entirely from one customer as both regular payment and overpayment, then ‘refunding’ the overpayment and applying it to the other customer will also work. (One A/R program I used required just that workflow)

I can’t see offering this as a specific feature for such a small use case. I don’t know of any other accounting/pos/receivables software that offers this either, so it isn’t like GnuCash is the odd-one-out here.

Re: [GNC] Assign one payment to multiple invoices (from several customers)

Geert Janssens-4
[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> Right.  Why would a customer pay someone else's invoice?
> >
> > Parent company paying utilities for its child companies?
>
> Parents paying on their kids accounts, children paying for their parents,
> siblings paying the same. People who each have their own accounts and
> making a payment, but sharing a particular invoice that had to go under
> someone else’s name. (the sibling case is common here, like all paying for
> a gift for the parents that was on one siblings account)
>
> It happens. Maybe not with more frequency than a few times per year unless
> you’ve got some sort of corporate arrangement like Fred noted, but it does
> happen.
>
> As both Derek and I mentioned, a separate suspense account will suffice. Or
> as I also noted, taking the payment entirely from one customer as both
> regular payment and overpayment, then ‘refunding’ the overpayment and
> applying it to the other customer will also work. (One A/R program I used
> required just that workflow)
>
> I can’t see offering this as a specific feature for such a small use case. I
> don’t know of any other accounting/pos/receivables software that offers
> this either, so it isn’t like GnuCash is the odd-one-out here.

Odoo supports this.

And I use this feature to apply a grouped salary payment to each employee's
payroll ('invoice').

That is the support company that handles our payroll administration charges
one payment per month from our bank account but that charge is to be split
over separate 'invoices', one per employee.

The suspense account in gnucash works, but in Odoo I can assign all the
employee invoices to the single payment in one go.

I must admit it's quite handy.

Having said all that I think getting such a feature in gnucash will probably
require breaking a few design assumptions. So that would mean a major change.
I don't see this happening anytime soon :(

Re: [GNC] Assign one payment to multiple invoices (from several customers)

Adrien Monteleone-2
Interesting use case, and that an app has implemented it.

Bat

Re: [GNC] Assign one payment to multiple invoices (from several customers)

Bat
Yop,

I think that your answer needs some precisions from my side. I do it
here under.

Thank you,

🦇 ~^v^~

On 11/09/2019 19:09, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Bat <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> this is a subject that appears regularly on the mailing list, but I
>> can not find fine answer neither plan to improve the situation.
> Um, no, it does not appear regularly.  Indeed, this is the first time in
> 19 years that someone has asked about paying invoices for multiple
> customers with a single payment.

No sure of that, I’ve done dome digging before posting, to see if it was
already answered.

At least :

http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/Re-1-Bank-Entry-Multiple-Invoices-Customers-td4680560.html

http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/Advance-payment-for-multiple-invoices-for-multiple-accounts-td4671817.html

http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/One-payment-for-several-invoices-td4662302.html

>> Some of my customers often pay for their invoices plus for the one of
>> other customer. So I get one payment (with one reference) to split to
>> multiple invoices.
> Color me confused, but why would one customer be paying invoices for
> another customer?  Do you pay your neighbor's power bill as well as your
> own with one payment?

Easy :

1. we do not accept cash payment, so some customer exchange cash with a
friend that is then paying for him plus its own bill

2. relatives that pay together (father and son, people living together, …)

3. diverse arrangement between customers …

>> The distribution of one payment to several invoices is natural through
>> business features if the invoices are for the same customer. But not
>> if the invoices belong to several customers.
> Right.  Why would a customer pay someone else's invoice?
>
>> So today, I record the payment on the customer’s invoice, go into the
>> AR account and verify the splits of the transaction, go into Action ->
>> Lots to manually remove the other split from the customer payment lot
>> and assign it to the other customer invoice lot.
>>
>> Is – there a better way to do that ?
> There is no way to split a single payment across customers, and I don't
> see that ever being supported.  However, you can work around it by using
> a suspense account where you process payment for the different customers
> into the suspense account, and then manually transfer that suspense
> account to your bank.
>
> I'll note that this approach works for single payments for multiple
> customers, or even multiple payments for a single customer -- all of
> which get deposited together.

Yes, but as linking payment and invoices is done at split level (rather
than transaction), this logic is an overkill regarding  gnucash internal
way of working.

Plus it adds burden and artificial accounts where it could be avoided.

>> Is – there a plan to allow selecting several customers invoices in
>> manage a payment GUI ?
> No.
>
>> Thanks

Re: [GNC] Assign one payment to multiple invoices (from several customers)

Greg Feneis
On Wed, Sep 11, 2019, 12:39 Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Bat <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > this is a subject that appears regularly on the mailing list, but I
> > can not find fine answer neither plan to improve the situation.
>
> Um, no, it does not appear regularly.  Indeed, this is the first time in
> 19 years that someone has asked about paying invoices for multiple
> customers with a single payment.

I've only been on this list a few years, and seems like this has been
mentioned before, perhaps not regularly

Kind regards, Greg Feneis
(Pixel 3)

On Thu, September 12, 2019 7:19 am, Greg Feneis wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 11, 2019, 12:39 Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Bat <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > this is a subject that appears regularly on the mailing list, but I
>> > can not find fine answer neither plan to improve the situation.
>>
>> Um, no, it does not appear regularly.  Indeed, this is the first time in
>> 19 years that someone has asked about paying invoices for multiple
>> customers with a single payment.
>>

> I've only been on this list a few years, and seems like this has been
> mentioned before, perhaps not regularly

I've been on this list since 1999 (maybe 98?).  I WROTE the original
business features (in the very early 2000s).  Don't get me wrong.  Plenty
of people ask how to post a single payment to multiple invoices.  The
interface has always been confusing and somewhat non-intuitive.  Recent
changes have improved it, but I suspect it could be made easier.

Posting to multiple customers --- no, that question is not at all common.
You're probably not the first, but it's so rare I think I can count them
on my fingers (probably even on one hand) over the past two decades.

> Kind regards, Greg Feneis
> (Pixel 3)

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: [GNC] Assign one payment to multiple invoices (from several customers)

Mike or Penny Novack-4
On 9/12/2019 7:40 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>>> Um, no, it does not appear regularly.  Indeed, this is the first time in
>>> 19 years that someone has asked about paying invoices for multiple
>>> customers with a single payment.
  I would think this situation rare, but not unheard of.

As the customer, I usually take pains NOT to put the vendor into this
situation. For example, say we are paying for magazine sub renewals for
our two oldest great grandchildren, I would write a separate check for
each invoice. But not ALWAYS. Thus when paying excise tax on our cars
(two tax invoices from the town)  I know that sometimes I have written a
single check. So we'll take that as an example. What would the town tax
collector do to enter if using gnucash?

I assume she would use her eyes and brains. See that the total of the
check matched the total due on both invoices. Then probably enter each
invoice paid for its proper amount. After all, what would be done if
there were two checks, but the check numbers had been entered manually
(as they are with counter checks and/or temporary ones for a new
account) and by accident the check number duplicated.

Michael D Novack

Re: [GNC] Assign one payment to multiple invoices (from several customers)

Adrien Monteleone-2
As for implementation, I don’t know what behind-the-scenes looks like, but from the UI, I tried 2 methods that seemed the most logical. (but of course, don’t work)

#1 Business > Customer > Process Payment > Select
Set Customer Name > Matches Regex > “.”
Select more than one customer, then `Select`

Rather than showing only the first selected customer’s invoices as it does now, instead, you’d see all open invoices from all selected customers.

#2 Business > Customer > Find Invoice
Search for all unpaid invoices by whatever means, Invoice ID/Customer > Matches Regex > “.” works fine here too.
Select multiple invoices from different customers.
Click ‘Process Payment’ (currently greyed out when you select the second customer’s invoice)

So I don’t think the UI needs a major overhaul to accomplish it. (assuming the backend logic would allow it)

Of course, that might be terribly difficult or tedious.

First, a payment would have to go into a pool, then applied to each invoice, then any remainder assigned to the original customer. (but which one is the ‘original’ or ‘paying’ customer? that might be where some UI changes would be necessary)

As for reporting, the upcoming owner-report would be invaluable here for keeping things straight as it identifies specific payments applied to specific invoices.