[GNC] Are there any add-on modules for Gnucash

[GNC] Are there any add-on modules for Gnucash

Harry Foerster
I'm currently running Gnucash 3.3 under Windows 10. Currently I would need
to do a large amount of manual entering/editing to record some investment
transactions I require. Are there any add-on modules available that
manipulate transactions and/or what programming language would be required
for my setup?

Re: [GNC] Are there any add-on modules for Gnucash

Adrien Monteleone-2
While there is the option to use a database backend, there is currently no support for *writing* to the db from anything other than GnuCash, it should only be read. (this will be possible eventually)

There is also a separate program called PieCash, but that too is for reading only.

The auto-fill feature helps considerably when entering transactions as does the Duplicate Transaction function. You’d either only need to change dates, or edit a few data points after filling or duplicating.

You can import transactions as well, so if you have some other software that is generating the activity, you might be able to massage it into debits and credits and use the importer. I would suspect a spreadsheet with a few macros, or even a text file with a script can do the job.

Otherwise, if you have a case of say, high volume day trading, you are probably limited to tracking most of the activity outside of GnuCash, generating daily net transactions and just entering/importing those.

> On Feb 21, 2019, at 8:53 AM, Harry Foerster <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm currently running Gnucash 3.3 under Windows 10. Currently I would need
> to do a large amount of manual entering/editing to record some investment
> transactions I require. Are there any add-on modules available that
> manipulate transactions and/or what programming language would be required
> for my setup?

Re: [GNC] Are there any add-on modules for Gnucash

Geert Janssens-4
Op donderdag 21 februari 2019 22:03:11 CET schreef Adrien Monteleone:
> While there is the option to use a database backend, there is currently no
> support for *writing* to the db from anything other than GnuCash, it should
> only be read. (this will be possible eventually)

I can't remember we ever said it would be possible to write to the GnuCash db
from outside of GnuCash. That would mean that **all** accounting constraints
should be encoded in the db data structure. I don't think that's possible.
Take for example the simple constraint that transactions have to balance.
There is no way to encode that in a db data structure.

What we did state is that eventually multiple users can connect to the same
database through separate gnucash instances.

> > On Feb 21, 2019, at 8:53 AM, Harry Foerster <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I'm currently running Gnucash 3.3 under Windows 10. Currently I would need
> > to do a large amount of manual entering/editing to record some investment
> > transactions I require. Are there any add-on modules available that
> > manipulate transactions and/or what programming language would be required
> > for my setup?

On Windows you have limited extension options:
- parts of gnucash are written in guile, a lisp-like functional programming
language. You can write extensions in guile, however the possibilities to
alter gui interactions are limited this way.
- the other option is to write the changes you want in C(++). That will
require you to recompile the application, which can be challenging depending
on your programming experience.

Re: [GNC] Are there any add-on modules for Gnucash

Adrien Monteleone-2
Sorry for my misunderstanding. Certainly, I can see that limitation.

> On Feb 22, 2019, at 2:38 AM, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Op donderdag 21 februari 2019 22:03:11 CET schreef Adrien Monteleone:
>> While there is the option to use a database backend, there is currently no
>> support for *writing* to the db from anything other than GnuCash, it should
>> only be read. (this will be possible eventually)
>
> I can't remember we ever said it would be possible to write to the GnuCash db
> from outside of GnuCash. That would mean that **all** accounting constraints
> should be encoded in the db data structure. I don't think that's possible.
> Take for example the simple constraint that transactions have to balance.
> There is no way to encode that in a db data structure.
>
> What we did state is that eventually multiple users can connect to the same
> database through separate gnucash instances.

Re: [GNC] Are there any add-on modules for Gnucash

> On Feb 22, 2019, at 12:38 AM, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> I can't remember we ever said it would be possible to write to the GnuCash db
> from outside of GnuCash. That would mean that **all** accounting constraints
> should be encoded in the db data structure. I don't think that's possible.
> Take for example the simple constraint that transactions have to balance.
> There is no way to encode that in a db data structure.

Our position has always been and will likely always be that we support writing to a GnuCash file or database only through the GnuCash API. That's not the same thing as from inside of GnuCash.

GnuCash's libraries expose their API through the C calling convention that can be linked by just about any compiled language. You'll need to get the sources for the headers. We also provide Python 3 and Scheme (via Guile) bindings for parts of the API, though the Python bindings aren't built in the Microsoft Windows or MacOS application bundles.

Do bear in mind that the GnuCash libraries aren't bullet-proof and it's still possible to wreck your database even with the GnuCash API if you're not careful (or are carefully malicious). The API is complex and the documentation ranges from pretty good to nonexistent; it can be found at https://code.gnucash.org/docs/MAINT.

On tho other hand, if you just want to create a bunch of transactions you might not need to code anything: The GnuCash 3.x CSV transaction importer is pretty capable.

On 21/02/2019 21:03, Adrien Monteleone wrote:

> Otherwise, if you have a case of say, high volume day trading, you are probably limited to tracking most of the activity outside of GnuCash, generating daily net transactions and just entering/importing those.

Good advice, Adrien.  The gnc data model fails if you push it too hard.

--
Wm

On 22/02/2019 15:34, John Ralls wrote:

> Our position has always been and will likely always be that we support writing to a GnuCash file or database only through the GnuCash API. That's not the same thing as from inside of GnuCash.

Nods, in theory.

> GnuCash's libraries expose their API through the C calling convention that can be linked by just about any compiled language. You'll need to get the sources for the headers. We also provide Python 3 and Scheme (via Guile) bindings for parts of the API, though the Python bindings aren't built in the Microsoft Windows or MacOS application bundles.

That's where it gets weird.

> Do bear in mind that the GnuCash libraries aren't bullet-proof and it's still possible to wreck your database even with the GnuCash API if you're not careful (or are carefully malicious).

Yikes! I haven't seen anyone I consider responsible doing that recently

The API is complex and the documentation ranges from pretty good to
nonexistent; it can be found at https://code.gnucash.org/docs/MAINT.

in truth only a handful of people have a vague clue.

> On tho other hand, if you just want to create a bunch of transactions you might not need to code anything: The GnuCash 3.x CSV transaction importer is pretty capable.

yes, the importer is improving, it is getting close to being able to
read it's own tx.  when it can do that well, you can introduce your own
tx to the stream.

--
Wm