[GNC] Archive part of my data

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[GNC] Archive part of my data

Jonathan Heard
Good Morning,

I have been using GnuCash for a long time and the file containing my
records goes back 10 years.

Is there a way to snip off the first 5 years and hold in a separate
(Archive) file? This would speed up the loading of my system.

There used to be a tool in the Old MS Money program to allow you to create
an archive file and then open it if you ever needed it.
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Archive part of my data

GnuCash - User mailing list
I don't think there is (it would have to add adjustments to starting balances effective the starting date), but I've started wondering if using one of the database formats would work better. I have data going back to 2002 so loading and saving is starting to get pretty slow.

So can anyone answer Jonathan's question and if the answer is no, would switching from XML to a database format (I can't remember if we can use Sqlite or just MySQL) give better performanc?. I would think it would unless the first thing gnucash does is read the entire database into memory.

Thanks,
Dave


> On Mar 14, 2019, at 2:46 PM, Jonathan Heard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Good Morning,
>
> I have been using GnuCash for a long time and the file containing my
> records goes back 10 years.
>
> Is there a way to snip off the first 5 years and hold in a separate
> (Archive) file? This would speed up the loading of my system.
>
> There used to be a tool in the Old MS Money program to allow you to create
> an archive file and then open it if you ever needed it.

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Archive part of my data

David Carlson-4
As another user that has been using GnuCash for many years, I can comment
that no, Gnucash does not have an easy way to split off a segment of
history.  This has been discussed often on this mail-list, and there have
occasionally been suggestions regarding ways to accomplish an approximation
to that by various brute force methods.  One caveat to to using strictly
date oriented methods is that some information such as securities have
history going back possibly years that needs to be retained for tax
purposes.

There has also been discussion in another thread here regarding the
relative merits of the database file formats, check that thread for
details.  In summary, opening the file takes about the same amount of time
as the XML format, but there ar no intermediate pauses to write a backup
file.  Also, there are still some bugs unique to database formats that are
deal-breakers for some users.

David Carlson
--
David Carlson
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Archive part of my data

Michael or Penny Novack
In reply to this post by Jonathan Heard
On 3/14/2019 2:46 PM, Jonathan Heard wrote:
> Good Morning,
>
> I have been using GnuCash for a long time and the file containing my
> records goes back 10 years.
>
> Is there a way to snip off the first 5 years and hold in a separate
> (Archive) file? This would speed up the loading of my system.
>
There is no way to do this retroactively.

Remember, in the old pen and ink on paper in bound books days they used
to start new volumes. Usually at the end of each accounting period (say
once  a year).

You could get faster books and an archive IN THE FUTURE. Just close the
books at the next end of accounting period and save that (the file).
Then export the CoA, import that (empty) CoA to a new file, and open the
books by entering the balances of all the standing account (asset,
liability, equity).

Repeat every time your file gets too big (decide right before the end of
an accounting period. You can of course see the "archived" set of books
by having gnucash open THAT file.

Michael D Novack
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Archive part of my data

Adrien Monteleone-2
In reply to this post by GnuCash - User mailing list
I use Sqlite (on MacOS) and the loading is the same. But the normal operations are quicker because there is no periodic save. (writes are instant)

The biggest change in loading time I’ve found isn’t the file size, it is how many tabs I left open the last time I closed it. If you normally run with one or more registers open and several standing reports, those can take a while to re-load when you re-start GnuCash. (reports are likely the culprit as Scheme is quite slow compared to the C/C++ register code)

My workflow however is to simply never exit the software. I just leave it running on its own workspace 24/7. (I use it daily anyway) The only hiccup here is that for now, I have to leave the Due Reminder windows open or else I’ll have to run them manually. (but they update in real time if left open) I understand that won’t work for everyone, but it is something to consider.

I could be mistaken, but I seem to recall a discussion about the db backends to change how the data is loaded in the future. (when those backends are complete and likely only for MySQL - still a few years away) Instead of loading everything into RAM, GC will just access what it needs as it needs it. But my memory may be fuzzy on that. If this is the case, it might be better to switch to a db in anticipation of that and at least gain the immediate advantage of instant writes without periodic backups. (something you’d handle separately anyway)

The initial save to SQlite was very quick, about the same as XML. I don’t know if using that as an intermediate step (or using some outside tool to convert from SQlite to MySQL) would improve the conversion.

Maybe switch to SQlite for now and hold off on MySQL until that work is completed. Improvements might also be made in the conversion process by that time.

Regards,
Adrien

> On Mar 14, 2019, at 2:06 PM, davelist--- via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I don't think there is (it would have to add adjustments to starting balances effective the starting date), but I've started wondering if using one of the database formats would work better. I have data going back to 2002 so loading and saving is starting to get pretty slow.
>
> So can anyone answer Jonathan's question and if the answer is no, would switching from XML to a database format (I can't remember if we can use Sqlite or just MySQL) give better performanc?. I would think it would unless the first thing gnucash does is read the entire database into memory.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave
>
>
>> On Mar 14, 2019, at 2:46 PM, Jonathan Heard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Good Morning,
>>
>> I have been using GnuCash for a long time and the file containing my
>> records goes back 10 years.
>>
>> Is there a way to snip off the first 5 years and hold in a separate
>> (Archive) file? This would speed up the loading of my system.
>>
>> There used to be a tool in the Old MS Money program to allow you to create
>> an archive file and then open it if you ever needed it.


_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Archive part of my data

GnuCash - User mailing list
In reply to this post by Michael or Penny Novack

A quick search online yielded:https://github.com/fefe982/gnucash-XML-split
I can't vouch for the reliability of the program. 
David

 
  On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 2:54, Michael or Penny Novack<[hidden email]> wrote:   On 3/14/2019 2:46 PM, Jonathan Heard wrote:
> Good Morning,
>
> I have been using GnuCash for a long time and the file containing my
> records goes back 10 years.
>
> Is there a way to snip off the first 5 years and hold in a separate
> (Archive) file? This would speed up the loading of my system.
>
There is no way to do this retroactively.

Remember, in the old pen and ink on paper in bound books days they used
to start new volumes. Usually at the end of each accounting period (say
once  a year).

You could get faster books and an archive IN THE FUTURE. Just close the
books at the next end of accounting period and save that (the file).
Then export the CoA, import that (empty) CoA to a new file, and open the
books by entering the balances of all the standing account (asset,
liability, equity).

Repeat every time your file gets too big (decide right before the end of
an accounting period. You can of course see the "archived" set of books
by having gnucash open THAT file.

Michael D Novack
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
 
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.