[GNC] Apple Card csv

Keith Bellairs
I have been using GNC for a long, long time. So I have an account for each
of my credit cards. I can update the accounts with ofx/qfx downloads. I see
that Apple only allows csv downloads from that card. I have never used the
csv upload to GNC. Does anyone have experience with Apple's csv files? If
they don't upload cleanly that's a deal breaker for me.

Keith

Re: [GNC] Apple Card csv

Alton Brantley
I successfully download the Applecard CSV through the iPhone, transfer it over to my mac with AirDrop, and import it into my account on Mac Catalina with Gnucash 3.8.

Getting CSV import set up can take a bit of fiddling, but once you get it all configured so it goes through, and you save the configuration, it’s virtually painless.

Fiddling involves setting starting lines to skip, character set, selecting the correct columns (remember that positive amounts are withdrawals, so your payment will show as a negative, and selecting the appropriate account for them to be loaded.

BE AWARE, transaction matching can really mess up, so I recommend not using it. It would be great if it only sought to match from the last closing date to the present…. Also, It would be nice if the accounts pull-down menu matched the order of accounts in your file, but they appear to be in balance sheet order (assets, liabilitys, income, an expense), so you may have to look through the whole list to find your account.

Finally, the process is, for a reason unknown to me, terribly slow, so it seems like nothing is happening, even for a very small import. For a very active account, it can seem like the program has hung. Go get a cup of coffee or take a bathroom break!

-Alton Brantley

> Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2020 11:44:01 -0500
> From: Keith Bellairs <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
> To: gnucash-user email group <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
> Subject: [GNC] Apple Card csv
> I have been using GNC for a long, long time. So I have an account for each
> of my credit cards. I can update the accounts with ofx/qfx downloads. I see
> that Apple only allows csv downloads from that card. I have never used the
> csv upload to GNC. Does anyone have experience with Apple's csv files? If
> they don't upload cleanly that's a deal breaker for me.
> Keith

Re: [GNC] Apple Card csv

Stephen M. Butler
On 2/3/20 8:44 AM, Keith Bellairs wrote:
> I have been using GNC for a long, long time. So I have an account for each
> of my credit cards. I can update the accounts with ofx/qfx downloads. I see
> that Apple only allows csv downloads from that card. I have never used the
> csv upload to GNC. Does anyone have experience with Apple's csv files? If
> they don't upload cleanly that's a deal breaker for me.
>
> Keith

Not Apple's but I do have experience with CSV and Citi.  Under 3.7 I was
able to define the layouts (what fields went where and the date format)
and save that for future use.  Also defined the "home" account (in my
case, Liabilities:CreditCard:Citi).

My only problem is that they also changed the sign of the payment AND
put it in the other column.  So the load routine dutifully turned it
into a charge instead of a payment.  I think options were added to 3.8
to allow you to override this.  Perhaps load both fields to the same
"column" in the account.

I finally located where Citi hid their OFX download and switched back to
that to cure having to fix the payment sign each download.

--Steve

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

Re: [GNC] Apple Card csv

Keith,

Haven't any experience with Apple Card but I import my Paypal transactions
via CSV. In that case I have to preedit the files in Libre Office because
Paypal gives me far more information than I generally need to record.The
Importer in the V3 series makes this a little easier as you can define a set
of import conditions and save them for reuse. Critical things are usually
that the date format matches, the right choice of separator and identifying
columns which match the transfer account for the second split, amount,
description. Usually there is a bit of experimentation to work out how best
to import data and it then becomes routine until someone changes something,
usually at the bank end.