[GNC] Alphavantage quote displaying wrong currency and value

[GNC] Alphavantage quote displaying wrong currency and value

Mark Blakeney
Hi,

I'm new to gnucash and trying to set up online quotes via Alphavantage. I
am using Arch Linux with stock versions gnucash 3.2-1 and
perl-finance-quote 1.47-1. I have my API key configured etc and gnc-fq-dump
works correctly as seen at https://imgur.com/a/swf5xto.

I have the stock configured in gnucash as https://imgur.com/a/mblUFvj. My
default currency is Australian dollars (AUD) everywhere.

However the online quote is displayed with the wrong currency (US) and
value as seen at https://imgur.com/a/gnS8Aau.

Does anybody know why?

Re: [GNC] Alphavantage quote displaying wrong currency and value

ChrisGood
> Message: 5
> Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2018 10:59:33 +1000
> From: Mark Blakeney <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [GNC] Alphavantage quote displaying wrong currency and value

> I'm new to gnucash and trying to set up online quotes via Alphavantage. I
am
> using Arch Linux with stock versions gnucash 3.2-1 and perl-finance-quote
1.47-
> 1. I have my API key configured etc and gnc-fq-dump works correctly as
seen at
> https://imgur.com/a/swf5xto.
>
> I have the stock configured in gnucash as https://imgur.com/a/mblUFvj. My
> default currency is Australian dollars (AUD) everywhere.
>
> However the online quote is displayed with the wrong currency (US) and
value as
> seen at https://imgur.com/a/gnS8Aau.
>
> Does anybody know why?

Hi Mark,

You need to add suffix ".AX" to the "Symbol" in the Security Editor.
E.g. CBA.AX
This tells Finance::Quote to use the price from the ASX using currency AUD.

Regards, Chris Good

Re: [GNC] Alphavantage quote displaying wrong currency and value

Mark Blakeney
Chris,

Yes thanks. I actually discovered that myself later on. Obviously it was
picking up some other US stock called WES.

I find this online quote stuff needlessly confusing though. I fretted
trying to work out what to configure as the "Type" for my stocks given none
of the default ones (NASDAQ, EUREX, etc) seemed appropriate to my ASX
stocks. Also, that field is confusingly called "Namespace" when you look in
the securities editor. Then I eventually discovered the Type/Namespace
field serves no purpose whatever and can be configured to whatever you want
to make up! That field should be removed. Also, why is it required to
configure a timezone? The software is only after the latest quote price and
should be able to hide that complexity from the user.

--
Mark Blakeney.

E.g. CBA.AX <http://CBA.AX>
This tells Finance::Quote to use the price from the ASX using currency AUD.

Regards, Chris Good

Hi Mark,

I believe the security Type/Namespace is used to group securities in the security editor and Price Editor.

For those with many securities that is probably very useful. You should probably create a type called ASX for your aussie stocks. That’s what I did IIRC.

I don’t know why the timezone is needed but presumably it is.

The documentation could use some updating. The Help manual section about the Security Editor needs updating re Yahoo stopping providing most stock prices. Any help gratefully accepted :-)

Regards, Chris

Re: [GNC] Alphavantage quote displaying wrong currency and value

Fred Bone
On 08 July 2018 at 9:51, Mark Blakeney said:

[...]
> Then I eventually discovered the Type/Namespace
> field serves no purpose whatever and can be configured to whatever you
> want to make up! That field should be removed.
The obvious purpose is to let the user group securities by type. If you
have no use for such a distinction, you can choose to ignore it.

> Also, why is it required to
> configure a timezone? The software is only after the latest quote price
> and should be able to hide that complexity from the user.

Your timezone determines when midnight (and hence a new day) occurs
relative to UTC. This may be different from the corresponding offset of a
given quote-source. And you are not "required" to tell Gnucash what
timezone your quote-source uses: there is a default.

On 07/09/2018 03:26 AM, Fred Bone wrote:
 > Your timezone determines when midnight (and hence a new day) occurs
 > relative to UTC. This may be different from the corresponding offset of a
 > given quote-source. And you are not "required" to tell Gnucash what
 > timezone your quote-source uses: there is a default.

Sorry Fred but that is irrelevant. Of course in general, Finance::Quote
can fetch time+price pairs but that should irrelevant to GnuCash users.
GnuCash only needs and wants the very latest price at the time the query
is done so there is zero justification asking the user to configure
anything about time. Between them, GnuCash and Finance::Quote, should be
able to fetch the "latest available" price.

Liz

Re: [GNC] Alphavantage quote displaying wrong currency and value

Liz
On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 11:13:19 +0800
Mark Blakeney <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry Fred but that is irrelevant. Of course in general,
> Finance::Quote can fetch time+price pairs but that should irrelevant
> to GnuCash users. GnuCash only needs and wants the very latest price
> at the time the query is done so there is zero justification asking
> the user to configure anything about time. Between them, GnuCash and
> Finance::Quote, should be able to fetch the "latest available" price.

I don't use online quoting, so I may be incorrect here

Gnucash stores historical data about the prices. For that it needs date
and time, and presumably the timezone of the date, in case you use
several sources.

Liz