[GNC] Advanced Portfolio: "sell transaction causing a negative stock balance, and a subsequent buy transaction causing a zero balance"

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[GNC] Advanced Portfolio: "sell transaction causing a negative stock balance, and a subsequent buy transaction causing a zero balance"

Anthony Messina
With GnuCash 3.1 on Fedora 28, I encounter the following error with the
Advanced Portfolio report that I didn't receive on previous 2.6.y versions.

"There is an error processing the transaction 'buying 1.4907 share units'.
This may to be caused by a sell transaction causing a negative stock balance,
and a subsequent buy transaction causing a zero balance. This leads to a
division-by-zero error. It can be fixed by preventing negative stock
balances."

A stock in one of my 403(b) accounts was exchanged for another back on
4/24/2015.

Date Description Tot Shares Tot Buy Tot Sell Balance
4/09/15 258.9702
4/24/15 Transfer -260.4609 38,540.22 -1.4907
4/24/15 Contrib 1.4907 220.58 0

What is the proper fix here?  It seems like the "Contrib" entry needs to be
moved just before the "Transfer" on 4/24/15, but I'm not sure of the way to do
this.  If I try to fake the date of "Contrib" to 4/23/15, I get the ominous
warning about moving a transaction that's been reconciled, so I don't really
want to do that.

Thanks for your help.  -A

--
Anthony - https://messinet.com/ - https://messinet.com/~amessina/gallery
F9B6 560E 68EA 037D 8C3D  D1C9 FF31 3BDB D9D8 99B6

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Advanced Portfolio: "sell transaction causing a negative stock balance, and a subsequent buy transaction causing a zero balance"

Christopher Lam
Highlight the "transfer" buy transaction, click transaction duplicate, and
accept the exact same day. You now have two buy transactions. Now highlight
the first one and delete it.

On Mon, 2 Jul 2018, 05:54 Anthony Joseph Messina <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> With GnuCash 3.1 on Fedora 28, I encounter the following error with the
> Advanced Portfolio report that I didn't receive on previous 2.6.y versions.
>
> "There is an error processing the transaction 'buying 1.4907 share units'.
> This may to be caused by a sell transaction causing a negative stock
> balance,
> and a subsequent buy transaction causing a zero balance. This leads to a
> division-by-zero error. It can be fixed by preventing negative stock
> balances."
>
> A stock in one of my 403(b) accounts was exchanged for another back on
> 4/24/2015.
>
> Date            Description     Tot Shares      Tot Buy Tot Sell
>       Balance
> 4/09/15
>                      258.9702
> 4/24/15 Transfer                -260.4609                       38,540.22
>      -1.4907
> 4/24/15 Contrib         1.4907          220.58                          0
>
> What is the proper fix here?  It seems like the "Contrib" entry needs to
> be
> moved just before the "Transfer" on 4/24/15, but I'm not sure of the way
> to do
> this.  If I try to fake the date of "Contrib" to 4/23/15, I get the
> ominous
> warning about moving a transaction that's been reconciled, so I don't
> really
> want to do that.
>
> Thanks for your help.  -A
>
> --
> Anthony - https://messinet.com/ - https://messinet.com/~amessina/gallery
> F9B6 <https://messinet.com/~amessina/galleryF9B6> 560E 68EA 037D 8C3D
> D1C9 FF31 3BDB D9D8 99B6
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> -----
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Advanced Portfolio: "sell transaction causing a negative stock balance, and a subsequent buy transaction causing a zero balance"

Anthony Messina
While the duplicated transaction wasn't duplicated as reconciled, I went ahead
and duplicated the transaction and re-reconciled and now evrything works well.  
Thanks for the pointer, Christopher!  -A

On Sunday, July 1, 2018 5:08:29 PM CDT Christopher Lam wrote:

> Highlight the "transfer" buy transaction, click transaction duplicate, and
> accept the exact same day. You now have two buy transactions. Now highlight
> the first one and delete it.
>
> On Mon, 2 Jul 2018, 05:54 Anthony Joseph Messina <[hidden email]>
> wrote: With GnuCash 3.1 on Fedora 28, I encounter the following error with
> the Advanced Portfolio report that I didn't receive on previous 2.6.y
> versions.
>
> "There is an error processing the transaction 'buying 1.4907 share units'.
> This may to be caused by a sell transaction causing a negative stock
> balance, and a subsequent buy transaction causing a zero balance. This
> leads to a division-by-zero error. It can be fixed by preventing negative
> stock balances."
>
> A stock in one of my 403(b) accounts was exchanged for another back on
> 4/24/2015.
>
> Date            Description     Tot Shares      Tot Buy Tot Sell            
>    Balance 4/09/15                                                        
>                                258.9702 4/24/15 Transfer              
> -260.4609                       38,540.22       -1.4907 4/24/15 Contrib    
>     1.4907          220.58                          0
>
> What is the proper fix here?  It seems like the "Contrib" entry needs to be
> moved just before the "Transfer" on 4/24/15, but I'm not sure of the way to
> do this.  If I try to fake the date of "Contrib" to 4/23/15, I get the
> ominous warning about moving a transaction that's been reconciled, so I
> don't really want to do that.
>
> Thanks for your help.  -A

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment