[GNC] Account report: defined date range

[GNC] Account report: defined date range

Rich Shepard
I've read the report section of the guide and tried various reports
(including Account report) from the menu without finding the one I want: a
list of all transactions in my checking account defined by starting and
ending dates.

The account report displays all transactions in that account from when it
was first set up and the options menu does not allow me to specify a date
range.

I'm sure the information I need will be provided by one of the available
reports yet I'm not seeing it. A pointer is needed.

Regards,

Rich

Re: [GNC] Account report: defined date range

foxylady337
> On 21 Apr 2019, at 18:16, Rich Shepard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've read the report section of the guide and tried various reports
> (including Account report) from the menu without finding the one I want: a
> list of all transactions in my checking account defined by starting and
> ending dates.
>
> The account report displays all transactions in that account from when it
> was first set up and the options menu does not allow me to specify a date
> range.
>
> I'm sure the information I need will be provided by one of the available
> reports yet I'm not seeing it. A pointer is needed.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rich

Open the account.

Right-click within the account’s window (i.e. on any of the transactions).

Choose “Filter By”.

Set up the date range you are interested in.

Reports->Account Report.

Voilà!

Michael

Re: [GNC] Account report: defined date range

Adrien Monteleone-2
Filter By... is also in the View menu. You may see references to it there as well.

On Sun, 21 Apr 2019, Michael Hendry wrote:

> Open the account.
> Right-click within the account’s window (i.e. on any of the transactions).
> Choose “Filter By”.
> Set up the date range you are interested in.
> Reports->Account Report.

Michael,

Thank you. I didn't see that in the guide manual.

On Sun, 21 Apr 2019, Adrien Monteleone wrote:

> Filter By... is also in the View menu. You may see references to it there
> as well.

Adrien,

Thank you, too. I didn't think to filter first and kept looking for that in
the report options.

Regards,

Rich

Re: [GNC] Account report: defined date range

Rich Shepard
On Sun, 21 Apr 2019, Michael Hendry wrote:

> Open the account.
> Right-click within the account’s window (i.e. on any of the transactions).
> Choose “Filter By”.
> Set up the date range you are interested in.
> Reports->Account Report.

Running 3.6.

I just tried this and the account total for the date range
01/01/2019-07/25/2019 is the same as the date range since I migrated back to
GC in 2017. For some reason the filter by doesn't. I can scroll back to 2017
when viewing the account register.

It's not obvious to me what I've done wrong. All ideas welcome.

Regards,

Rich

Re: [GNC] Account report: defined date range

Adrien Monteleone-2
If you can scroll prior to your filter, you must not have applied the filter.

I’ve never used the right-click method and just found out, that it seems to save separate settings to the View menu method.

Either way though, I still got the account report desired and in both cases, I couldn’t scroll prior to 1/1/19 which was my early date I set until I cleared the filter.

I’m not sure what you mean by ‘account total for the date range’.

There is a running balance.
There is a total debit line.
There is a total credit line.

The running balance matched between reports run with and without the filter, but that is to be expected because my ending dates are the same. I ran a filtered report for all of 2018 instead, and of course got a different final running balance.

(oddly, my running balance with today as the final date is $16 less than my register account balance, not sure how that is possible)

Does the first transaction on the report start at 1/1/19 according to your filter or on some date in 2017?

If 2017, again, the filter did not take, try again.

On Thu, 25 Jul 2019, Adrien Monteleone wrote:

> If you can scroll prior to your filter, you must not have applied the
> filter.

Adrien,

Except that the date range in the filter box displays when I go back and
look at View -> Filter by.

> I’ve never used the right-click method and just found out, that it seems
> to save separate settings to the View menu method.

Same results using View -> Filter by as right-clicking on the account.

> I’m not sure what you mean by ‘account total for the date range’.
>
> There is a running balance.

See above. I want the sum of all debits (it's an expense account) for the
selected date range.

> Does the first transaction on the report start at 1/1/19 according to your
> filter or on some date in 2017? If 2017, again, the filter did not take,
> try again.

Yes, tie filter did not work despite having specific start and end dates
selected. As I wrote, the report starts on 01/03/2017 using both a
right-click to open the filter dialog box and the menu View -> Filter by.

Regards,

Rich

Re: [GNC] Account report: defined date range [FIXED]

Rich Shepard
On Fri, 26 Jul 2019, Rich Shepard wrote:

> Except that the date range in the filter box displays when I go back and
> look at View -> Filter by.

Fixed: user error missed the '9' and inserted a '0' at the end of the year.

Mea culpa!

On Sun, 21 Apr 2019, Rich Shepard wrote:

> I've read the report section of the guide and tried various reports
> (including Account report) from the menu without finding the one I want: a
> list of all transactions in my checking account defined by starting and
> ending dates.

Using View -> Filter by (or right-clicking on a transaction the the specific
account) I get a report of all transactions using the account report.

I've not found a report that lists the sum of debits (for an expense
account) over a defined data range. For example, how much have I spent on
groceries this month, or on vehicle repairs this year?

Is there a process to produce these results?

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Re: [GNC] Account report: defined date range

Adrien Monteleone-2
The account report should show that as well (along with Total Credits) at the bottom but you need to set the ’Totals’ checkbox, but what you are describing sounds more like the Transaction Report.

It is very powerful with respect to reporting just the transactions you want over custom date ranges and with various sorting methods. (and *not* limited to one account if you don’t want that limitation) It can also filter transactions that *aren’t* also affecting some other account.

Finally, there is also a Comparison Transaction Report (not certain of the name) that is still in development that you can find lurking in this list’s archives from Chris Lamm. I think he posted the files some time late last year or early this year. It shows you custom periods where you can compare expense amounts to each other. I played with it a bit and it was very helpful in determining my budgets. (more so than the budget report)

> On Jul 26, 2019, at 9:49 AM, Rich Shepard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 21 Apr 2019, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
>> I've read the report section of the guide and tried various reports
>> (including Account report) from the menu without finding the one I want: a
>> list of all transactions in my checking account defined by starting and
>> ending dates.
>
> Using View -> Filter by (or right-clicking on a transaction the the specific
> account) I get a report of all transactions using the account report.
>
> I've not found a report that lists the sum of debits (for an expense
> account) over a defined data range. For example, how much have I spent on
> groceries this month, or on vehicle repairs this year?
>
> Is there a process to produce these results?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Rich

Re: [GNC] Account report: defined date range

> On Jul 26, 2019, at 7:49 AM, Rich Shepard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 21 Apr 2019, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
>> I've read the report section of the guide and tried various reports
>> (including Account report) from the menu without finding the one I want: a
>> list of all transactions in my checking account defined by starting and
>> ending dates.
>
> Using View -> Filter by (or right-clicking on a transaction the the specific
> account) I get a report of all transactions using the account report.
>
> I've not found a report that lists the sum of debits (for an expense
> account) over a defined data range. For example, how much have I spent on
> groceries this month, or on vehicle repairs this year?
>
> Is there a process to produce these results?

Several.

Most obvious are the two expense charts, Reports>Income&Expense>Expense Chart or Reports>Income&Expense>Expense Piechart. If you want the actual numbers, turn on the table on the Display page of Options.

Then there's Reports>Income&Expense>Income Statement/Reports>Income&Expense>Profit&Loss (the two are pretty much the same, just different names). They'll summarize all of your income and expenses for whatever period you choose. The depth of child accounts is adjustable on the Accounts page of Options.

You can also use the Find dialog to select accounts and a date range to get a ledger-style register with all of the matching transactions, then run Reports>Account Report to convert it into a report. Note that the account selection widget in the Find dialog accepts multiple selections.

Re: [GNC] Account report: defined date range [RESOLVED]

Rich Shepard
On Fri, 26 Jul 2019, John Ralls wrote:

> Most obvious are the two expense charts, Reports>Income&Expense>Expense
> Chart or Reports>Income&Expense>Expense Piechart. If you want the actual
> numbers, turn on the table on the Display page of Options.

John,

That's interesting. I don't need to look at pictures so I ignored the
charts. Turning on the table will do the trick.

> Then there's Reports>Income&Expense>Income
> Statement/Reports>Income&Expense>Profit&Loss (the two are pretty much the
> same, just different names). They'll summarize all of your income and
> expenses for whatever period you choose. The depth of child accounts is
> adjustable on the Accounts page of Options.

True. I do these each month for my accountant but didn't think of the Income
Statement/P&L for this one account. My mistake.

> You can also use the Find dialog to select accounts and a date range to
> get a ledger-style register with all of the matching transactions, then
> run Reports>Account Report to convert it into a report. Note that the
> account selection widget in the Find dialog accepts multiple selections.

This is what I thoght I did. All transactions are there but the account
summary is for the entire database table, not just the selected date range.

Thanks,

Rich

Re: [GNC] Account report: defined date range [RESOLVED]

Adrien Monteleone-2
A Filtered version of the Account Report *will* give you total debits/credits for just that date range. But as my other reply and John’s reply note, there are many ways to get that info.