[GNC] Account Hierarchy Meesed Up

AAK

[GNC] Account Hierarchy Meesed Up

AAK
I imported a QIF file into Gnucash and started editing the account hierarchy.
I inadvertently created a mess. I now have a checking account berried under
the Expenses account, which in turn, is berried under the Automobile
Expenses category. I can't figure out how to reverse this mess. How can I
make hidden accounts show up again? Is there a way to edit the entire tree
structure at once?

Liz

Re: [GNC] Account Hierarchy Meesed Up

Liz
On Sat, 9 Mar 2019 10:25:07 -0600 (CST)
AAK <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I imported a QIF file into Gnucash and started editing the account
> hierarchy. I inadvertently created a mess. I now have a checking
> account berried under the Expenses account, which in turn, is berried
> under the Automobile Expenses category. I can't figure out how to
> reverse this mess. How can I make hidden accounts show up again? Is
> there a way to edit the entire tree structure at once?

Take a deep breath, and relax.

Go to the Accounts tab.
Choose an account to move, right click and select Edit Account.
This opens a box. In mine, at the bottom right, is a box with a name
like "parent".
Find where the account should be in the account tree, and move it.
For example, you might put the Cheque account under "Assets".

Make sure its right, and save.

If you still get it wrong, you can move things again.

Liz

Re: [GNC] Account Hierarchy Meesed Up

David Carlson-4
AAK,

When I want to make a massive change to something like my account tree, I
make a map of where I want to go first.  Often it is just with pencil and
paper, but sometime I can print something and mark it up.

David Carlson

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 12:58 AM Liz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Mar 2019 10:25:07 -0600 (CST)
> AAK <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I imported a QIF file into Gnucash and started editing the account
> > hierarchy. I inadvertently created a mess. I now have a checking
> > account berried under the Expenses account, which in turn, is berried
> > under the Automobile Expenses category. I can't figure out how to
> > reverse this mess. How can I make hidden accounts show up again? Is
> > there a way to edit the entire tree structure at once?
>
> Take a deep breath, and relax.
>
> Go to the Accounts tab.
> Choose an account to move, right click and select Edit Account.
> This opens a box. In mine, at the bottom right, is a box with a name
> like "parent".
> Find where the account should be in the account tree, and move it.
> For example, you might put the Cheque account under "Assets".
>
> Make sure its right, and save.
>
> If you still get it wrong, you can move things again.
>
> Liz

David Carlson