[GNC] Account Currency Screwed Up Again!

[GNC] Account Currency Screwed Up Again!

GnuCash - User mailing list
Many years ago I set up in GC a bank account denominated in AUD to buy
and sell securities in that currency.  While reconciling my end-of-year
statements I only just noticed while attempting to enter a new price for
one of the securities that all transactions in that account (not just
securities, but also transactions with other accounts denominated in
AUD, such as the income account I use for recording interest paid in
AUD) are recorderd in CHF and are converted to CHF instead of AUD!!!
How could this happen? More important (since it is unlikely that the
cause can be reconstructed at this late date) how can I correct this
without having to manually recreate all transactions in the account
going back to 2013?

Based on previous experience with such problems, I will also have to
recreate the AUD-denominated securities (fortunately there are only two)
and their transactions in order to correct the erroneous currency (CHF)
attached to them.  Please say it ain't so!

Re: [GNC] Account Currency Screwed Up Again!

GnuCash - User mailing list
I haven't see an answer to this on the distribution list, nor on Nabble
<http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GNC-Account-Currency-Screwed-Up-Again-td4715785.html>.

Can I fix this by editing the XML file?
I am using GC v2.6.19 under Ubuntu Studio 18.04.  Is there a function to
change the currency of transactions in a newer version of GC?
If not, is there any hope that such a function might be provided in the
future?

On 27.01.20 10:24, rsbrux wrote:

> Many years ago I set up in GC a bank account denominated in AUD to buy
> and sell securities in that currency.  While reconciling my
> end-of-year statements I only just noticed while attempting to enter a
> new price for one of the securities that all transactions in that
> account (not just securities, but also transactions with other
> accounts denominated in AUD, such as the income account I use for
> recording interest paid in AUD) are recorderd in CHF and are converted
> to CHF instead of AUD!!!  How could this happen? More important (since
> it is unlikely that the cause can be reconstructed at this late date)
> how can I correct this without having to manually recreate all
> transactions in the account going back to 2013?
>
> Based on previous experience with such problems, I will also have to
> recreate the AUD-denominated securities (fortunately there are only
> two) and their transactions in order to correct the erroneous currency
> (CHF) attached to them.  Please say it ain't so!

Re: [GNC] Account Currency Screwed Up Again!

David Cousens
Have you checked the default currency used Edit->Preferences, Accounts tab,
Default Currency. It is normally set to locale. I guess you are in Australia
so it should be AUD. If not, diid you possibly create the book originally
while overseas or the locale on your computer was not set to Australia.
AFAIK it is not possible to edit the currency of an account once it is
created in the Edit Account dialog only in the New Account dialog.

It should be possible to edit the file this but fraught with possible
problems.  Work on a copy of your original file and don't save it over the
original until you are really sure that the problem is fixed and other
problems haven't been created. I would keep a copy of the original even
after you reach this point just to be sure.

Your XML file will have to be uncompressed Edit ->Preferences General Tab
and uncheck the box which says compress files. You may then have to force a
Save. I did this by creating a dummy transaction in a register then hitting
the Save button in the toolbar, deleting the dummy transaction and clicking
Save again.

The section of the XMLfile which contains the commodity information for an
account is reproduced below for a SGD account I have.
<gnc:account version="2.0.0">
  <act:name>TravelMoney_CC_SGD</act:name>
  <act:id type="guid">*7db63ffa514d478191dea006748d7bd6*</act:id>
  <act:type>LIABILITY</act:type>
  <act:commodity>
    <cmdty:space>CURRENCY</cmdty:space>
    *<cmdty:id>SGD</cmdty:id>*
  </act:commodity>

You will have to have the commodity you wish to change the account to
specified earlier in the file in a section like
<gnc:commodity version="2.0.0">
  <cmdty:space>CURRENCY</cmdty:space>
  <cmdty:id>SGD</cmdty:id>
  <cmdty:get_quotes/>
  <cmdty:quote_source>currency</cmdty:quote_source>
  <cmdty:quote_tz/>
</gnc:commodity>

Each transaction to the account will have the commodity specified in a
<trn:currency> tag set. You would need to find all of these and change the
commodity similarly
<gnc:transaction version="2.0.0">
  <trn:id type="guid">4ec8a9416b31469bb1eeaf79c5557092</trn:id>
  <trn:currency>
    <cmdty:space>CURRENCY</cmdty:space>
    <cmdty:id>SGD</cmdty:id>
  </trn:currency>
  <trn:date-posted>
    <ts:date>2019-03-17 10:59:00 +0000</ts:date>
  </trn:date-posted>
  <trn:date-entered>
    <ts:date>2019-05-14 03:25:18 +0000</ts:date>
  </trn:date-entered>
  <trn:description>XX 1897  BP-BOOKSACTUALLY</trn:description>
  <trn:slots>
    <slot>
      <slot:key>date-posted</slot:key>
      <slot:value type="gdate">
        <gdate>2019-03-17</gdate>
      </slot:value>
    </slot>
  </trn:slots>
  <trn:splits>
    <trn:split>
      <split:id type="guid">2bf944df822042849e1cbd5a2b6db3c8</split:id>
      <split:reconciled-state>n</split:reconciled-state>
      <split:value>6100/100</split:value>
      <split:quantity>6654/100</split:quantity>
      <split:account
type="guid">7be97b5f738386fd2272881dc33a0272</split:account>
    </trn:split>
    <trn:split>
      <split:id type="guid">4ef42d767cc748f79ce09d6d8f2d3043</split:id>
      <split:reconciled-state>y</split:reconciled-state>
      <split:reconcile-date>
        <ts:date>2019-05-14 13:59:59 +0000</ts:date>
      </split:reconcile-date>
      <split:value>-6100/100</split:value>
      <split:quantity>-6100/100</split:quantity>
      <split:account
type="guid">*7db63ffa514d478191dea006748d7bd6*</split:account>
    </trn:split>
  </trn:splits>
</gnc:transaction>

Make sure the guid for the account matches up (bolded in the above examples)
in the transaction splits and the account you have modified the currency
for.

AFAIK they are the only places you should need to modify the currency but I
only have a passing acquaintance with the file XML format and the data
structures so I cannot be sure.

The price database was the other section which had records containing the
currency
  <price>
    <price:id type="guid">5b56177651ba48ffa9ce7410e4f3f355</price:id>
    <price:commodity>
      <cmdty:space>CURRENCY</cmdty:space>
      <cmdty:id>AUD</cmdty:id>
    </price:commodity>
    <price:currency>
      <cmdty:space>CURRENCY</cmdty:space>
      <cmdty:id>SGD</cmdty:id>
    </price:currency>
    <price:time>
      <ts:date>2019-03-21 14:00:00 +0000</ts:date>
    </price:time>
    <price:source>user:price</price:source>
    <price:value>70000/77059</price:value>
  </price>
  <price>

It may be easier edit that with the edit facilities in the Tools->Price
Database if necessary. None of this is really recommended but proceed with
extreme caution lots of backups and good luck.

Re: [GNC] Account Currency Screwed Up Again!

Adrien Monteleone-2
Would creating a new duplicate account with the proper assigned currency, then deleting the old account and choosing to transfer all transactions to the new currency work?

That would be significantly easier than manual editing.

I’m not sure how the use of Trading Accounts affects this, or if it should or should not be turned on.

> [...]
>    <price:commodity>
>      <cmdty:space>CURRENCY</cmdty:space>
>      <cmdty:id>AUD</cmdty:id>
>    </price:commodity>
>    <price:currency>
>      <cmdty:space>CURRENCY</cmdty:space>
>      <cmdty:id>SGD</cmdty:id>
>    </price:currency>
>    <price:time>
>      <ts:date>2019-03-21 14:00:00 +0000</ts:date>
>    </price:time>
>    <price:source>user:price</price:source>
>    <price:value>70000/77059</price:value>
>  </price>
>  <price>
>
> It may be easier edit that with the edit facilities in the Tools->Price
> Database if necessary. None of this is really recommended but proceed with
> extreme caution lots of backups and good luck.
>
> David Cousens

Re: [GNC] Account Currency Screwed Up Again!

Many thanks to both of you for your suggestions!

@Adrien,

The accounts in question already had the correct currency (AUD)
assigned.  The accounts in question are a foreign currency account in
AUD, three accounts for AUD-denominated securities (which I bought/sold
in the above-mentioned foreign currency account), various expense
accounts in AUD and an income account in AUD for interest.  The
transactions between the foreign currency account and the expense
accounts were recoreded in AUD as expected.  All other transactions were
recorded with CHF exchange rates, although no currency conversions were
called for.  The prices of two of the three securities were also
recorded in CHF.  SInce the GC UI shows all accounts in AUD (except for
the securities accounts, which IIRC, do not have a currency) it was
unclear to me which account(s) I should duplicate.

@David,

My default currency is CHF; I live in Switzerland.  Trading accounts are
turned on.  I have tried to fix this in the XML based on the information
you provided.  I tried to look up more information about the file
structure, but the guide
<https://www.gnucash.org/viewdoc.phtml?rev=2.6&lang=C&doc=guide> wasn't
much help, and the wiki <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/> appears to be down.

IAC, I edited the price records for the two securities which had
incorrect price currencies, as well as all transactions which refenenced
any of the three securities accounts, changing the currencies from CHF
to AUD.  This appears to have fixed the problems, but I am keeping a
couple of pre-edit backups, as you recommend.

Am I the only one to encounter problems like this?

SInce the problem seems to have been with the (implicitly determined)
currencies of the prices and the transactions, would it be possible to
add an option to the price editor dialog for each price and to the
exchange rate editor for each transaction to change or select the
currency?  From what I have learned about the data structure, this looks
like the easiest way to provide a less dangerous way to fix such problems.

> [...]
>>     <price:commodity>
>>       <cmdty:space>CURRENCY</cmdty:space>
>>       <cmdty:id>AUD</cmdty:id>
>>     </price:commodity>
>>     <price:currency>
>>       <cmdty:space>CURRENCY</cmdty:space>
>>       <cmdty:id>SGD</cmdty:id>
>>     </price:currency>
>>     <price:time>
>>       <ts:date>2019-03-21 14:00:00 +0000</ts:date>
>>     </price:time>
>>     <price:source>user:price</price:source>
>>     <price:value>70000/77059</price:value>
>>   </price>
>>   <price>
>>
>> It may be easier edit that with the edit facilities in the Tools->Price
>> Database if necessary. None of this is really recommended but proceed with
>> extreme caution lots of backups and good luck.
>>
>> David Cousens

Re: [GNC] Account Currency Screwed Up Again!

Glad to hear you managed to fix the data, but that raises the question why retrieving prices is grabbing CHF instead of AUD.

Is the parent of the affected securities set for AUD? This is usually an account representing the brokerage that handles the individual securities for you.

Note, at this time, I don’t think you can have mixed currency accounts in one brokerage parent. You’ll have to create separate brokerage parent accounts for each currency.

> On Feb 10, 2020 w7d41, at 7:21 AM, rsbrux via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Many thanks to both of you for your suggestions!
>
> @Adrien,
>
> The accounts in question already had the correct currency (AUD) assigned.  The accounts in question are a foreign currency account in AUD, three accounts for AUD-denominated securities (which I bought/sold in the above-mentioned foreign currency account), various expense accounts in AUD and an income account in AUD for interest.  The transactions between the foreign currency account and the expense accounts were recoreded in AUD as expected.  All other transactions were recorded with CHF exchange rates, although no currency conversions were called for.  The prices of two of the three securities were also recorded in CHF.  SInce the GC UI shows all accounts in AUD (except for the securities accounts, which IIRC, do not have a currency) it was unclear to me which account(s) I should duplicate.

> @David,
>
> My default currency is CHF; I live in Switzerland.  Trading accounts are turned on.  I have tried to fix this in the XML based on the information you provided.  I tried to look up more information about the file structure, but the guide <https://www.gnucash.org/viewdoc.phtml?rev=2.6&lang=C&doc=guide> wasn't much help, and the wiki <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/> appears to be down.
>
> IAC, I edited the price records for the two securities which had incorrect price currencies, as well as all transactions which refenenced any of the three securities accounts, changing the currencies from CHF to AUD.  This appears to have fixed the problems, but I am keeping a couple of pre-edit backups, as you recommend.
>
> Am I the only one to encounter problems like this?
>
> SInce the problem seems to have been with the (implicitly determined) currencies of the prices and the transactions, would it be possible to add an option to the price editor dialog for each price and to the exchange rate editor for each transaction to change or select the currency?  From what I have learned about the data structure, this looks like the easiest way to provide a less dangerous way to fix such problems.

Re: [GNC] Account Currency Screwed Up Again!

Not sure, but I don't understand why the prices of the securites were in CHF. Since you have AUD income and expense
accounts associated with the securities and you record their purchase/sale against an AUD foreign currency account I
would have thought the securities would have been in AUD if traded on the ASX.

A lot will depend upon what you are required to supply to your tax authorities, where tax is paid, and what rules apply
on timing of conversion from AUD to CHF for tax recording purposes. For that sort of info you will need a Swiss tax
accountant with foreign tax experience.

In Australia companies operate under a company tax regime where tax paid on company profits is not normally taxed again
as a dividend in the hands of a shareholder. The shareholder receives a franking credit for the tax paid in the hands of
the company to offset against their income tax. Not all share dividends are franked however. This of course only applies
to Australian shareholders who pay income tax in Australia unless  some sort of reciprocal tax agreement between
countries exists covering these taxes.

On Mon, 2020-02-10 at 14:21 +0100, rsbrux via gnucash-user wrote:

> [...]
> > >   <price>
> > >     <price:id type="guid">5b56177651ba48ffa9ce7410e4f3f355</price:id>
> > >     <price:commodity>
> > >       <cmdty:space>CURRENCY</cmdty:space>
> > >       <cmdty:id>AUD</cmdty:id>
> > >     </price:commodity>
> > >     <price:currency>
> > >       <cmdty:space>CURRENCY</cmdty:space>
> > >       <cmdty:id>SGD</cmdty:id>
> > >     </price:currency>
> > >     <price:time>
> > >       <ts:date>2019-03-21 14:00:00 +0000</ts:date>
> > >     </price:time>
> > >     <price:source>user:price</price:source>
> > >     <price:value>70000/77059</price:value>
> > >   </price>
> > >   <price>
> > >
> > > It may be easier edit that with the edit facilities in the Tools->Price
> > > Database if necessary. None of this is really recommended but proceed with
> > > extreme caution lots of backups and good luck.

Dr David R Cousens
B.Sc, M.Prof. Acc., Ph.D., G.C.Ed

Re: [GNC] Account Currency Screwed Up Again!

What is the parent account of the three stock accounts and what is the commodity of that parent account?

> [...]
>>>    <price:commodity>
>>>      <cmdty:space>CURRENCY</cmdty:space>
>>>      <cmdty:id>AUD</cmdty:id>
>>>    </price:commodity>
>>>    <price:currency>
>>>      <cmdty:space>CURRENCY</cmdty:space>
>>>      <cmdty:id>SGD</cmdty:id>
>>>    </price:currency>
>>>    <price:time>
>>>      <ts:date>2019-03-21 14:00:00 +0000</ts:date>
>>>    </price:time>
>>>    <price:source>user:price</price:source>
>>>    <price:value>70000/77059</price:value>
>>>  </price>
>>>  <price>
>>>
>>> It may be easier edit that with the edit facilities in the Tools->Price
>>> Database if necessary. None of this is really recommended but proceed with
>>> extreme caution lots of backups and good luck.
>>>
>>> David Cousens

Re: [GNC] Account Currency Screwed Up Again!

There were two different parent accounts, both in CHF.  I guess that is
the source of my problems, although I had previously managed to have
securities with different currencies under them. ISTR reading somewhere
that securities in GC take their currency from the account in which the
first transaction is entered.  In that case, my problems are probably
due to entering the initial transactions in the securities account
(which presumably takes its currency from the parent account) instead of
in the account from which the money comes (which would have the correct
currency). Because of the columns and labels provided, securities
transactions are easier to enter in a securities account.

To me, the resulting confusion still argues in favor of explicitly
associating a currency with each security, something which is apparently
not foreseen in the data structure.

Thanks for your help!

On 11.02.20 05:43, John Ralls wrote:

> [...]
>>
>>> Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2020 10:31:58 -0600
>>> From: Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]>
>>> To: Gnucash Users <[hidden email]>
>>> Subject: Re: [GNC] Account Currency Screwed Up Again!
>>>
>>> Would creating a new duplicate account with the proper assigned currency, then deleting the old account and choosing to transfer all transactions to the new currency work?
>>>
>>> That would be significantly easier than manual editing.
>>>
>>> I?m not sure how the use of Trading Accounts affects this, or if it should or should not be turned on.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Adrien

Re: [GNC] Account Currency Screwed Up Again!

It was probabably due to my placing the securities accounts under
accounts in CHF and entering the first transactions in the securities
accounts instead of in the associated accounts for purchase & sale (see
my reply to John Rails).  Stock quotes retrieved from Yahoo as json do
show the correct currency, but my AUD investments have been in bonds and
ETFs, for which I haven't found any online quote sources,  The price
editor does in fact have a currency settting, however, it doesn't have
any effect on prices which were taken from transactions.  I can edit
such a price and change the currency in the dialog, but when I click
"Apply" and "Close", nothing is changed.  Going through the price
database has uncovered several other cases where securities transactions
were entered with incorrect currencies.  To prevent future occurences I
have now inserted additonal account levels for currencies where they
were previously missing, even though the resulting account structure is
even unwieldier than before:

where <investment type is one of bond, fund or stock.  Perhaps I should
dispense with the <investment type> level.

I did find one price in CHF for a security under a GBP account, but it
is possible that I had entered the purchase transaction before
introducing the currency-specific subaccount structure.

Our tax authorities insist on reporting produced by the banks (which
costs us extra), so the mistakes in my accounting are irrelevant for tax
purposes.  We do have a well-versed Swiss tax accountant and don't have
to worry about foreign taxes because they are reported in the bank data
and generally deducted at the origin.

Unfortunately for us, dividends are taxed as income in Switzerland,
unless they are paid out of corporate reserves as "return of capital".

On 10.02.20 22:09, David Cousens wrote:

> [...]
>> exchange rate editor for each transaction to change or select the
>> currency?  From what I have learned about the data structure, this looks
>> like the easiest way to provide a less dangerous way to fix such problems.
>>
>>> Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2020 10:31:58 -0600
>>> From: Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]>
>>> To: Gnucash Users <[hidden email]>
>>> Subject: Re: [GNC] Account Currency Screwed Up Again!
>>>
>>> Would creating a new duplicate account with the proper assigned currency, then deleting the old account and choosing
>>> to transfer all transactions to the new currency work?
>>>
>>> That would be significantly easier than manual editing.
>>>
>>> I?m not sure how the use of Trading Accounts affects this, or if it should or should not be turned on.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Adrien

Re: [GNC] Account Currency Screwed Up Again!

My understanding is that the controlling factor is the currency of the parent, not where you enter the transaction. But I could be mistaken.

The tree organization is really user dependent.

I think the Guide uses a slightly different organization where bank/brokerage lies below <investment type> with a separate <bank-xxx> per currency, that would eliminate one nesting level, but may not be to your liking or use case. So the result would be:

Assets - <current assets if you also track fixed> - Investments - <investment type> - <bank-currency> - <security>

You could also do the following:

But neither may feel or look as clean as using a currency level by itself.

> On Feb 11, 2020 w7d42, at 3:52 AM, rsbrux via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It was probabably due to my placing the securities accounts under accounts in CHF and entering the first transactions in the securities accounts instead of in the associated accounts for purchase & sale (see my reply to John Rails).  Stock quotes retrieved from Yahoo as json do show the correct currency, but my AUD investments have been in bonds and ETFs, for which I haven't found any online quote sources,  The price editor does in fact have a currency settting, however, it doesn't have any effect on prices which were taken from transactions.  I can edit such a price and change the currency in the dialog, but when I click "Apply" and "Close", nothing is changed.  Going through the price database has uncovered several other cases where securities transactions were entered with incorrect currencies.  To prevent future occurences I have now inserted additonal account levels for currencies where they were previously missing, even though the resulting account structure is even unwieldie
 r than before:

> where <investment type is one of bond, fund or stock.  Perhaps I should dispense with the <investment type> level.
>
> I did find one price in CHF for a security under a GBP account, but it is possible that I had entered the purchase transaction before introducing the currency-specific subaccount structure.
>
> Our tax authorities insist on reporting produced by the banks (which costs us extra), so the mistakes in my accounting are irrelevant for tax purposes.  We do have a well-versed Swiss tax accountant and don't have to worry about foreign taxes because they are reported in the bank data and generally deducted at the origin.
>
> Unfortunately for us, dividends are taxed as income in Switzerland, unless they are paid out of corporate reserves as "return of capital".

Re: [GNC] Account Currency Screwed Up Again!

John Ralls-2
The transaction currency in which the value field of every split is denominated is determined by the account in whose register one creates the transaction. If that account is in a non-currency commodity then the currency of first parent account denominated in a currency is used. So in rsbrux's case where he had a stock XYZ under a CHF parent and bought using AUD, the stock split will have an amount in XYZ and a value in CHF and the cash split will have an amount in AUD and a value in CHF. That's a three-way transaction with two prices: XYZ->CHF and AUD->CHF. Both should be recorded in the price database. If he used basic view or was careless about entering the price and values the AUD->CHF price might be 1 and the XYZ->CHF price might have the value of XYZ's price in AUD.

Had he instead had the parent of the XYZ account in AUD as he should have or if had created the transaction starting in the cash account then the transaction currency would be AUD and only the stock split would have a price.

> On Feb 11, 2020, at 9:42 AM, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> My understanding is that the controlling factor is the currency of the parent, not where you enter the transaction. But I could be mistaken.
>
> The tree organization is really user dependent.
>
> I think the Guide uses a slightly different organization where bank/brokerage lies below <investment type> with a separate <bank-xxx> per currency, that would eliminate one nesting level, but may not be to your liking or use case. So the result would be:
>
> Assets - <current assets if you also track fixed> - Investments - <investment type> - <bank-currency> - <security>
>
> You could also do the following:

> But neither may feel or look as clean as using a currency level by itself.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>

>> On Feb 11, 2020 w7d42, at 3:52 AM, rsbrux via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> It was probabably due to my placing the securities accounts under accounts in CHF and entering the first transactions in the securities accounts instead of in the associated accounts for purchase & sale (see my reply to John Rails).  Stock quotes retrieved from Yahoo as json do show the correct currency, but my AUD investments have been in bonds and ETFs, for which I haven't found any online quote sources,  The price editor does in fact have a currency settting, however, it doesn't have any effect on prices which were taken from transactions.  I can edit such a price and change the currency in the dialog, but when I click "Apply" and "Close", nothing is changed.  Going through the price database has uncovered several other cases where securities transactions were entered with incorrect currencies.  To prevent future occurences I have now inserted additonal account levels for currencies where they were previously missing, even though the resulting account structure is even unwieldi

> r than before:

>> where <investment type is one of bond, fund or stock.  Perhaps I should dispense with the <investment type> level.
>>
>> I did find one price in CHF for a security under a GBP account, but it is possible that I had entered the purchase transaction before introducing the currency-specific subaccount structure.
>>
>> Our tax authorities insist on reporting produced by the banks (which costs us extra), so the mistakes in my accounting are irrelevant for tax purposes.  We do have a well-versed Swiss tax accountant and don't have to worry about foreign taxes because they are reported in the bank data and generally deducted at the origin.
>>
>> Unfortunately for us, dividends are taxed as income in Switzerland, unless they are paid out of corporate reserves as "return of capital".

Re: [GNC] Account Currency Screwed Up Again!

Adrien Monteleone-2
Thanks for the explanation.

> On Feb 11, 2020 w7d42, at 1:20 PM, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The transaction currency in which the value field of every split is denominated is determined by the account in whose register one creates the transaction. If that account is in a non-currency commodity then the currency of first parent account denominated in a currency is used. So in rsbrux's case where he had a stock XYZ under a CHF parent and bought using AUD, the stock split will have an amount in XYZ and a value in CHF and the cash split will have an amount in AUD and a value in CHF. That's a three-way transaction with two prices: XYZ->CHF and AUD->CHF. Both should be recorded in the price database. If he used basic view or was careless about entering the price and values the AUD->CHF price might be 1 and the XYZ->CHF price might have the value of XYZ's price in AUD.
>
> Had he instead had the parent of the XYZ account in AUD as he should have or if had created the transaction starting in the cash account then the transaction currency would be AUD and only the stock split would have a price.

Re: [GNC] Account Currency Screwed Up Again!

Thanks to all for your patient explanations and help.

@Adrien,

For the time being I have just inserted currency account levels in my
existing tree as recommended here:

https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Stocks/add_stock#Stocks_noted_in_foreign_currency

You have raised some interesting considerations which might move me to
adopt a different structure, but I couldn't find the part of the guide
you were referring to.  Can you provide a link?

> Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2020 14:39:01 -0600
> From: Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]>
> To: Gnucash Users <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [GNC] Account Currency Screwed Up Again!
>
> Thanks for the explanation.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
>> On Feb 11, 2020 w7d42, at 1:20 PM, John Ralls <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> The transaction currency in which the value field of every split is
> denominated is determined by the account in whose register one creates the
> transaction. If that account is in a non-currency commodity then the
> currency of first parent account denominated in a currency is used. So in
> rsbrux's case where he had a stock XYZ under a CHF parent and bought using
> AUD, the stock split will have an amount in XYZ and a value in CHF and the
> cash split will have an amount in AUD and a value in CHF. That's a
> three-way transaction with two prices: XYZ->CHF and AUD->CHF. Both should
> be recorded in the price database. If he used basic view or was careless
> about entering the price and values the AUD->CHF price might be 1 and the
> XYZ->CHF price might have the value of XYZ's price in AUD.
>> Had he instead had the parent of the XYZ account in AUD as he should
> have or if had created the transaction starting in the cash account then
> the transaction currency would be AUD and only the stock split would have
> a price.
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls

Re: [GNC] Account Currency Screwed Up Again!

Adrien Monteleone-2
Sorry, I meant to include it and forgot.

It is in Chapter 9: Investments, specifically: https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v3/C/gnucash-guide/invest_accounts1.html

Section 9.2.2 covers the currency issues, including multi-currency, and 9.2.3 gives an example of an intricate custom tree. (not necessarily multi-currency though)