[GNC] AR Asset differen t GL codes

Teresa
Are business does not have any products, we're an IT company the sells
services

Under assets and income I have 5 different products, I see when
preparing an invoice I can choose the income gl#, how can I assign the
AR side to a specific corresponding GL account#?

--

Teresa Slack

Senior Client Manager

*_Coba Enterprise Management, LLC_*

3620 Pelham Road, PMB 107

Greenville, SC 29615

Office: 864.343.8017 x 5

Cell:    864.525.3633

[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
Coba-EM.com <http://coba-em.com/>

/NOTICE TO RECIPIENTS: The information contained in and accompanying
this communication may be confidential, subject to legal privilege, or
otherwise protected from disclosure, and is intended solely for the use
of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient of
this communication, please delete and destroy all copies in your
possession, notify sender that you have received this communication in
error, and note that any review or dissemination of, or the taking of
any action in reliance on, this communication is expressly prohibited.
Email messages may contain computer viruses or other defects, may not be
accurately replicated on other systems, or may be intercepted, deleted
or interfered with without the knowledge of the sender or the intended
recipient. Coba Enterprise Management, LLC makes no warranties in
relation to these matters. Please note that Coba Enterprise Management,
LLC reserves the right to intercept, monitor, and retain email messages
to and from its systems as permitted by applicable law. If you are not
comfortable with the risks associated with e-mail messages, you may
decide not to use email to communicate with Coba Enterprise Management,
LLC. /

Re: [GNC] AR Asset differen t GL codes

Adrien Monteleone-2
Not sure why you’d want to do that. If you’re using separate income accounts to track your sales, that should be sufficient. (I also offer IT services and have separate revenue accounts for each one)

A/R is just one big pile. It shouldn't need to be separated. GnuCash does track however who owes you what and for which invoices. You can see that by running a customer report and/or a receivables aging report. I suppose if you really need to see that you’re still owed $x for a particular service offered, you can either make up a report to do so, or if you are using one of the SQL backends, you can query the db for the info from A/R and the invoices. Sounds like a lot of work for little actionable information.

Did a CPA counsel to have separate A/R accounts by revenue stream? Some software (like for banks) keep separate accounts per customer, but I’ve never heard of separate A/R accounts per revenue source. You could pull it off, but you’d have to by-pass the business features entirely and make *all* of your entries manually.

> On Apr 3, 2019, at 10:36 AM, Teresa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Are business does not have any products, we're an IT company the sells services
>
> Under assets and income I have 5 different products, I see when preparing an invoice I can choose the income gl#, how can I assign the AR side to a specific corresponding GL account#?
>
> --
>
> Teresa Slack

Re: [GNC] AR Asset differen t GL codes

Adrien Monteleone-2
Understood.

The invoice feature of GnuCash is only going to be able to post to a single A/R account per invoice. (I can’t even find textbook examples of doing it any other way) I don’t see how that’s going to work even if you create custom ‘other A/R’ like you have here. If you bill more than one service on any one invoice you won’t be able to post them to separate A/R accounts unless you just do manual entries. If you bill one service per invoice than you’re good to go.

You could import your invoices as regular transactions instead of importing them as invoices. That would allow you to create the split A/R entries, but if that data isn’t included in the import CSV, you’ll have to make that all up manually for each invoice, as you go. (and of course lose all customer tracking benefits of the business features)

I think the better approach might be to try to craft a report to show this info, but let GnuCash post to the single A/R account. You can do sane accounting and keep the boss happy.

Either using Scheme to run the report from within GnuCash, or switching to one of the SQL backends and grabbing the data from the outside are your choices. (Scheme is tough, I’d opt for SQL) The easiest path would be to use the SQLite3 backend. MySQL and PostgreSQL are a much more involved setup. SQlite is used by simply saving the file in that format. (and you get instant saves as a bonus)

I’d have the report query all unpaid invoices, adding the amounts for each service on the invoice as you step through them. (there certainly might be more efficient methods, but this is the basic idea)

I’d have to ask though, what happens now if a client doesn’t pay in full? How do you allocate the partial payment across the various services invoiced? (or do you send separate invoices for each service?) If you invoice multiple services to the same client on the same invoice, that could get messy to figure out real quick. At best, you’d have to opt for a simple proportional allocation as an estimation.

Maybe someone else here will chime in with some ideas, but I think relying on a custom report for that ‘paid’ info is the best route.

If you go the SQLite3 route, look into PieCash which can help with crafting the report you need.

p.s.—please don’t forget to copy the list on all replies - others will benefit from the discussion and might be able to offer more (or better) assistance.

> On Apr 3, 2019, at 11:07 AM, Teresa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The reason I want to, I just started on this business. It's 5 years old, the CEO was tracking everything in excel, and wants to continues to track each item, on both the sold to and paid side..I'm trying to accommodate..
>
> On 4/3/2019 12:03 PM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
>> Not sure why you’d want to do that. If you’re using separate income accounts to track your sales, that should be sufficient. (I also offer IT services and have separate revenue accounts for each one)
>>
>> A/R is just one big pile. It shouldn't need to be separated. GnuCash does track however who owes you what and for which invoices. You can see that by running a customer report and/or a receivables aging report. I suppose if you really need to see that you’re still owed $x for a particular service offered, you can either make up a report to do so, or if you are using one of the SQL backends, you can query the db for the info from A/R and the invoices. Sounds like a lot of work for little actionable information.
>>
>> Did a CPA counsel to have separate A/R accounts by revenue stream? Some software (like for banks) keep separate accounts per customer, but I’ve never heard of separate A/R accounts per revenue source. You could pull it off, but you’d have to by-pass the business features entirely and make *all* of your entries manually.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Adrien
>>

>>> On Apr 3, 2019, at 10:36 AM, Teresa <[hidden email]>
>>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Are business does not have any products, we're an IT company the sells services
>>>
>>> Under assets and income I have 5 different products, I see when preparing an invoice I can choose the income gl#, how can I assign the AR side to a specific corresponding GL account#?
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Teresa Slack

Re: [GNC] AR Asset differen t GL codes

Teresa,

The business features in GnuCash do not support multiple A/R accounts. There
is only a single A/R account in GnuCash. I also tried doing this several
years ago and discovered that while you could create A/R subaccounts, the
business features did not function with any sub accounts by design.

It is not really necessary to have more than one A/R account as all the
invoices are linked to a specified customer and bills to a specified vendor,
so you can use filtering on the customer to select customer specific
information when you need it and remove that filtering when you don't in the
relevant reports and you an customize the reports to your needs. The same
applies to dealing with accounts payable and bills.  If you require
information that a particular product is responsible for outstanding debts
then this cannot be obtained directly.

The  detail of information on your IT products and their profiability will
be obtainable from the the structure of your Income and Expense accounts,
not from the asset accounts and A/R and A/P.

David Cousens

Hope this helps to clarify the situation

Re: [GNC] AR Asset differen t GL codes

Christian Kluge
Am 04.04.2019 um 00:36 schrieb David Cousens:

> The business features in GnuCash do not support multiple A/R accounts. There
> is only a single A/R account in GnuCash. I also tried doing this several
> years ago and discovered that while you could create A/R subaccounts, the
> business features did not function with any sub accounts by design.
>
> It is not really necessary to have more than one A/R account as all the
> invoices are linked to a specified customer and bills to a specified vendor,
> so you can use filtering on the customer to select customer specific
> information when you need it and remove that filtering when you don't in the
> relevant reports and you an customize the reports to your needs. The same
> applies to dealing with accounts payable and bills.
To give an outside perspective:

In the accounting program I use at work the A/R account is set up in the
way that you can’t enter any transaction directly into it but you have
to use seperate accounts for each customer. The A/R balance sheet
account then shows all transactions of the separate customer accounts
and the customer accounts are used to generate several reports.

Then same obviously applies for the accounts payable.

Kind regards

Christian Kluge

Re: [GNC] AR Asset differen t GL codes

David Cousens
Christian,

It is clearly a design choice. I had wanted to setup separate A/R accounts
for customers but Derek advised me that this was not the way the business
features in GnuCash worked. Derek opted for a single A/R account and the
ability to filter to provide specific customer information. I didn't
particularly find that a problem when I was using Gnucash for a business
though.

Re: [GNC] AR Asset differen t GL codes

Adrien Monteleone-2
From using other A/R software, the only purpose I can see to separate customer accounts is for informational purposes. Since GnuCash was setup to provide this information via reports using a consolidated A/R, the purpose is served just as well and there are less accounts to deal with. You don’t need to hide or otherwise archive old customer accounts when no longer needed. If you want an at-a-glance per customer, you can just leave a Receivable Aging report tab open. I have to deal with an outside A/R package for a client and their separate account structure is much more maintenance and messy compared to GnuCash’s approach. (might also be an issue with the quality of the code between the two packages, admittedly)

> On Apr 4, 2019, at 8:56 PM, David Cousens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Christian,
>
> It is clearly a design choice. I had wanted to setup separate A/R accounts
> for customers but Derek advised me that this was not the way the business
> features in GnuCash worked. Derek opted for a single A/R account and the
> ability to filter to provide specific customer information. I didn't
> particularly find that a problem when I was using Gnucash for a business
> though.
>
> David

Re: [GNC] AR Asset differen t GL codes

Christian Kluge
If you can’t beat them, join them with the TOFU …

There’s one thing where seperate customer accounts might shine:

If you’ve got a customer or vendor with non-typical balance e. g.
overpayments or refunds it will get put on the other side of the balance
sheet.

Kind regards

Christian Kluge