[GNC] 529 Help New

kisspk
Super clueless new Gnu User seeks someone to help explain 529. I asked for help before and was directed to various places which gave a little insight, but not as much as I need.

Here is what I have done:            Created a Mutual Fund for 529 A and one for 529 B—I believe I have done this right but it is open to debate since I don’t understand a lot of the specifics required to open the accounts (security/commodity?) Yikes!
                                                          Created a cash account to transfer the money out of my checking. Then I went in to the mutual fund and made the purchase out of the cash. That seemed to go well.
The info on my 529 web site/statement and the ledger of my 529 seem to add up/match in terms of shares, price paid-HOWEVER the totals don’t add up. My gnu total  shows for example 4503 , while my account online total shows 4392
Also, on my main gnu page instead of showing the total in each account, it shows the shares and the account number and then the total is shown (incorrectly as mentioned before) under mutual fund in general.

I have scoured the internet for videos, articles related to this and no luck. I really don’t understand, but would like to if someone can explain in simple terms. Open to email lessons or anything

Many thanks

Re: [GNC] 529 Help New

David Carlson-4
Khristine Ann,

Gnucash is able to track the value of nearly any arbitrary stock or mutual
fund portfolio, including downloading prices from the Internet as often as
you care to do that, up to once a day.  That detail is probably more than
you need.  There is a very detailed section in the Tutorial about how
GnuCash can do that.

I suggest doing one of two things.
Easy.  Just set up a simple long term asset bank type account and every
three months declare some income or expense equal to the change shown on
your quarterly statement.  You can still show contributions and eventually
disbursements.

Harder.  Go to your library or community college and find an adult ed
course for beginning investors.  Use that knowledge to set up GnuCash to
your preference.

David C

On Sat, Jul 7, 2018 at 4:43 PM, Khristine Ann Ramella <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Super clueless new Gnu User seeks someone to help explain 529. I asked for
> help before and was directed to various places which gave a little insight,
> but not as much as I need.
>
> Here is what I have done:            Created a Mutual Fund for 529 A and
> one for 529 B—I believe I have done this right but it is open to debate
> since I don’t understand a lot of the specifics required to open the
> accounts (security/commodity?) Yikes!
>                                                           Created a cash
> account to transfer the money out of my checking. Then I went in to the
> mutual fund and made the purchase out of the cash. That seemed to go well.
> The info on my 529 web site/statement and the ledger of my 529 seem to add
> up/match in terms of shares, price paid-HOWEVER the totals don’t add up. My
> gnu total  shows for example 4503 , while my account online total shows 4392
> Also, on my main gnu page instead of showing the total in each account, it
> shows the shares and the account number and then the total is shown
> (incorrectly as mentioned before) under mutual fund in general.
>

> I have scoured the internet for videos, articles related to this and no
> luck. I really don’t understand, but would like to if someone can explain
> in simple terms. Open to email lessons or anything
>
> Many thanks
>

> Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for
> Windows 10

Re: [GNC] 529 Help New

Thomas E Moughan
Hi Khristine...

With our 529 plans, the price we pay for new shares is more than the
"current" price for the share, e.g. we pay $1.10 for a share with a current
value of $1.00!

Have you accounted for this difference in your GnuCash transaction, e.g.
$.10 per share, expensed to a broker fee or some such? This would reduce
your GnuCash total to what would be on the website..

Tom