[GNC] 3.4 upgraded, crashes when paying invoice

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[GNC] 3.4 upgraded, crashes when paying invoice

Rich Shepard
Environment: Slackware-14.2, Gnucash-3.4.

Upgraded over the weekend by removing -3.3, building and installing -3.4.
The new version appeared to be working.

This morning I entered and posted a vendor invoice and tried to pay it from
the business' checking account. After filling in the dialog box with the
payment due date, amount, check number, and activating the print check
checkbox, I cliked the 'Print' button. Gnucash immediately shut down.

Tried twice; same results both times.

The log file, business.gnucash.20190128100724.log (redacted) shows this:

mod     trans_guid      split_guid      time_now        date_entered    date_posted     acc_guid        acc_name        num     description     notes
    memo    action  reconciled      amount  value   date_reconciled
-----------------
===== START
===== END
===== START
===== END
===== START
C       ce0e1808db934c5cbcbefb7eb8b5726e        5d11536bcc8e47fcbb06053cbb670d0e        2019-01-28 10:09:59 -0800       2019-01-28 10:09:59 -0800
        2019-01-28 02:59:00 -0800       4156423033acee5d82eb51fe6343ebc2
         Checking -- **** Bank    ****    ********
         Payment n       -10826/100      -10826/100      1969-12-31 16:00:00 -0800
C       ce0e1808db934c5cbcbefb7eb8b5726e        bd652f7f85a84523b2e5c6a82534840f        2019-01-28 10:09:59 -0800       2019-01-28 10:09:59 -0800
        2019-01-28 02:59:00 -0800       c42ae1c317d86e04bb5ea7ec1f21db52
         Accounts Payable        ****    ********
         Payment n       10826/100       10826/100       1969-12-31 16:00:00 -0800
===== END

I need to have gnucash working ASAP. What other information can I provide?

Regards,

Rich
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] 3.4 upgraded, crashes when paying invoice

John Ralls-2


> On Jan 28, 2019, at 10:33 AM, Rich Shepard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Environment: Slackware-14.2, Gnucash-3.4.
>
> Upgraded over the weekend by removing -3.3, building and installing -3.4.
> The new version appeared to be working.
>
> This morning I entered and posted a vendor invoice and tried to pay it from
> the business' checking account. After filling in the dialog box with the
> payment due date, amount, check number, and activating the print check
> checkbox, I cliked the 'Print' button. Gnucash immediately shut down.
>
> Tried twice; same results both times.
>
> The log file, business.gnucash.20190128100724.log (redacted) shows this:
>
> mod     trans_guid      split_guid      time_now        date_entered    date_posted     acc_guid        acc_name        num     description     notes
>   memo    action  reconciled      amount  value   date_reconciled
> -----------------
> ===== START
> ===== END
> ===== START
> ===== END
> ===== START
> C       ce0e1808db934c5cbcbefb7eb8b5726e        5d11536bcc8e47fcbb06053cbb670d0e        2019-01-28 10:09:59 -0800       2019-01-28 10:09:59 -0800
>       2019-01-28 02:59:00 -0800       4156423033acee5d82eb51fe6343ebc2
>        Checking -- **** Bank    ****    ********
>        Payment n       -10826/100      -10826/100      1969-12-31 16:00:00 -0800
> C       ce0e1808db934c5cbcbefb7eb8b5726e        bd652f7f85a84523b2e5c6a82534840f        2019-01-28 10:09:59 -0800       2019-01-28 10:09:59 -0800
>       2019-01-28 02:59:00 -0800       c42ae1c317d86e04bb5ea7ec1f21db52
>        Accounts Payable        ****    ********
>        Payment n       10826/100       10826/100       1969-12-31 16:00:00 -0800
> ===== END
>
> I need to have gnucash working ASAP. What other information can I provide?

Please file a bug. Transaction logs are not useful. Trace files (https//wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Tracefile are sometimes useful and stack traces (https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/stack_trace are the most useful for diagnosing crashes.

If you need to get this up-and-running ASAP then reinstall gnucash-3.3.

Regards,
John Ralls

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] 3.4 upgraded, crashes when paying invoice

Rich Shepard
On Mon, 28 Jan 2019, John Ralls wrote:

> Please file a bug. Transaction logs are not useful. Trace files
> (https//wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Tracefile are sometimes useful and stack
> traces (https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/stack_trace are the most useful for
> diagnosing crashes.

John,

   Will do in the next day or so.

> If you need to get this up-and-running ASAP then reinstall gnucash-3.3.

   That's what I planned to do as soon as I find the source tarball for the
earlier version.

Thanks,

Rich
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] 3.4 upgraded, crashes when paying invoice

Rich Shepard
In reply to this post by John Ralls-2
On Mon, 28 Jan 2019, John Ralls wrote:

> If you need to get this up-and-running ASAP then reinstall gnucash-3.3.

John,

Please provide a URL where I can get the 3.3 source tarball (preferably the
.xv version). Looking at the gnucash web site's download page I find only
3.4 and 2.6.21.

Thanks in advance,

Rich
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] 3.4 upgraded, crashes when paying invoice

Mike stagl
In reply to this post by Rich Shepard
I had a similar problem with 3.4 on Debian 9.

Turns out I had written a custom check profile for printing
checks (*.chk file) that I had placed in the wrong folder.  3.2 didn't
mind that location.  In 3.4, GnuCash crashed when the print dialog box
opened.  I moved the custom file from

$HOME/.local/share/gnucash/checks/

to

/usr/local/share/gnucash/checks/

(Your folders may vary based on your install options)

The latter location is where you will find the default check printing
profiles that ship with GnuCash.  Once I placed my file in there, all
was well again.

Hope this helps!  Otherwise, 3.2 was very stable for me.  I would
consider rolling back to the last working version.

Mike

On Mon, 2019-01-28 at 10:33 -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:

> Environment: Slackware-14.2, Gnucash-3.4.
>
> Upgraded over the weekend by removing -3.3, building and installing
> -3.4.
> The new version appeared to be working.
>
> This morning I entered and posted a vendor invoice and tried to pay
> it from
> the business' checking account. After filling in the dialog box with
> the
> payment due date, amount, check number, and activating the print
> check
> checkbox, I cliked the 'Print' button. Gnucash immediately shut down.
>
> Tried twice; same results both times.
>
> The log file, business.gnucash.20190128100724.log (redacted) shows
> this:
>
> mod     trans_guid      split_guid      time_now        date_entered 
>    date_posted     acc_guid        acc_name        num     descriptio
> n     notes
>     memo    action  reconciled      amount  value   date_reconciled
> -----------------
> ===== START
> ===== END
> ===== START
> ===== END
> ===== START
> C       ce0e1808db934c5cbcbefb7eb8b5726e        5d11536bcc8e47fcbb060
> 53cbb670d0e        2019-01-28 10:09:59 -0800       2019-01-28
> 10:09:59 -0800
>         2019-01-28 02:59:00
> -0800       4156423033acee5d82eb51fe6343ebc2
>          Checking -- **** Bank    ****    ********
>          Payment n       -10826/100      -10826/100      1969-12-31
> 16:00:00 -0800
> C       ce0e1808db934c5cbcbefb7eb8b5726e        bd652f7f85a84523b2e5c
> 6a82534840f        2019-01-28 10:09:59 -0800       2019-01-28
> 10:09:59 -0800
>         2019-01-28 02:59:00
> -0800       c42ae1c317d86e04bb5ea7ec1f21db52
>          Accounts Payable        ****    ********
>          Payment n       10826/100       10826/100       1969-12-31
> 16:00:00 -0800
> ===== END
>
> I need to have gnucash working ASAP. What other information can I
> provide?
>
> Regards,
>
> Rich
>
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] 3.4 upgraded, crashes when paying invoice

Mike stagl
In reply to this post by Rich Shepard
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/

go to gnucash (stable) and you can find source code for all the prior
versions.
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] 3.4 upgraded, crashes when paying invoice

Rich Shepard
In reply to this post by Mike stagl
On Tue, 29 Jan 2019, Mike stagl wrote:

> Turns out I had written a custom check profile for printing checks (*.chk
> file) that I had placed in the wrong folder. 3.2 didn't mind that
> location. In 3.4, GnuCash crashed when the print dialog box opened. I
> moved the custom file from

> $HOME/.local/share/gnucash/checks/

Mike,

That's interesting. Yes, my business check is in the
~/.local/share/gnucash/checks directory

> to
>
> /usr/local/share/gnucash/checks/

Slackware (and SBo) put all packages in /usr so I copied the *.chk file to
/usr/share/gnucash/checks/ and will try the change when I get back from a
client meeting.

Thanks,

Rich
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] 3.4 upgraded, crashes when paying invoice

Rich Shepard
In reply to this post by Mike stagl
On Tue, 29 Jan 2019, Mike stagl wrote:

> https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/
> go to gnucash (stable) and you can find source code for all the prior
> versions.

Mike,

Aha! I didn't look in the stable subdirectory, assuming it was only the most
recent.

Thanks,

Rich
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] 3.4 upgraded, crashes when paying invoice

John Ralls-2
In reply to this post by Mike stagl


> On Jan 29, 2019, at 7:04 AM, Mike stagl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/
>
> go to gnucash (stable) and you can find source code for all the prior
> versions.

Or https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/releases.

Regards,
John Ralls


_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] 3.4 upgraded, crashes when paying invoice [FIXED]

Rich Shepard
In reply to this post by Rich Shepard
On Tue, 29 Jan 2019, Rich Shepard wrote:

> That's interesting. Yes, my business check is in the
> ~/.local/share/gnucash/checks directory

Copied the .chk file to /usr/share/gnucash/checks/ and the application
popped up a message window that it found duplicate entries. I changed the
name in ~/.local and the checks print.

If gnucash-3.4 sees the checks in both directories, I wonder why it crashes
when only the local one is present.

Anywho, it's working.

Thanks again,

Rich
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.