G2 Testing - gconf Druid

Volker Englisch
I tested the gconf druid tonight and here are my
comments/suggestions/findings:

When I start gnucash a message window comes up (Cannot find default
values).  The Help button is highlighted by default but there is no help
when pressed (maybe I need to install documentation files separately?).

On the window titled "Choose Method" the focus sometimes disappears when
cycling through the options with the TAB key.
    "Update Search Path" --> blank --> blank --> Cancel --> Back -->
       Forward --> blank --> "Update Search Path" --> ...

Everything works when the "Update Search Path" option is selected.
However, when selecting the option "I'll do it myself" on the following
window the last window gives the instructions to edit the .gconf.path
file and restart the gconf backend.  There is no mention on how to
restart the gconf backend.  I suggest to list the command
   gconftool-2 --shutdown
here.  Or maybe better let the user know on the previous window ("Update
Path") that the gconf backend will need to be restarted if the
.gconf.path file got modified.  With that information users might rather
want gnucash to do this for them.

When the option "Install into home directory" is selected the option
"Do it for me" on the next window fails.  So does the "I'll do it
myself" since the shell script
   update-gnucash-gconf
is not in the default search path.

Note:  I have gnucash installed under /opt/gnucash2

For the "I'll do it myself" option the same is true as above.  The user
has to restart the gconf backend without additional information on how
to do this.

--
Thanks

     Volker Englisch

mailto:[hidden email]    (h)

Re: G2 Testing - gconf Druid

David Hampton-2
On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 00:57 -0400, Volker Englisch wrote:
> I tested the gconf druid tonight and here are my
> comments/suggestions/findings:
>
> When I start gnucash a message window comes up (Cannot find default
> values).  The Help button is highlighted by default but there is no help
> when pressed (maybe I need to install documentation files separately?).

The "Setup" button is now the default.

The documentation files were separated out from the executable during
the 1.8 releases.  They will need to be installed in the same location
as the g2 tree for them to be found.  However, this dialog still needs
to have documented written for it.

> On the window titled "Choose Method" the focus sometimes disappears when
> cycling through the options with the TAB key.
>     "Update Search Path" --> blank --> blank --> Cancel --> Back -->
>        Forward --> blank --> "Update Search Path" --> ...

Fixed.

> Everything works when the "Update Search Path" option is selected.
> However, when selecting the option "I'll do it myself" on the following
> window the last window gives the instructions to edit the .gconf.path
> file and restart the gconf backend.  There is no mention on how to
> restart the gconf backend.  I suggest to list the command
>    gconftool-2 --shutdown
> here.  Or maybe better let the user know on the previous window ("Update
> Path") that the gconf backend will need to be restarted if the
> .gconf.path file got modified.  With that information users might rather
> want gnucash to do this for them.

I've done both of these.

> When the option "Install into home directory" is selected the option
> "Do it for me" on the next window fails.  So does the "I'll do it
> myself" since the shell script
>    update-gnucash-gconf
> is not in the default search path.
>
> Note:  I have gnucash installed under /opt/gnucash2

The update-gnucash-gconf script is installed in the same directory as
gnucash.  Please try again with /opt/gnucash2/bin (or wherever) in your
search path.  Both of these cases should work with the path set.  I've
also added a note to the text that this file must appear in your search
path.

I've also updated the script to automatically restart gconf, and updated
the text of the druid.

> For the "I'll do it myself" option the same is true as above.  The user
> has to restart the gconf backend without additional information on how
> to do this.

Added.

Thanks for the review.

Re: G2 Testing - gconf Druid

Volker Englisch
I rebuild my copy of GnuCash today and I'm retesting the gconf druid:

>>When I start gnucash a message window comes up (Cannot find default
>>values).  The Help button is highlighted by default but there is no help
>>when pressed (maybe I need to install documentation files separately?).
>

> The "Setup" button is now the default.

OK.

>>On the window titled "Choose Method" the focus sometimes disappears when
>>cycling through the options with the TAB key.
>>    "Update Search Path" --> blank --> blank --> Cancel --> Back -->
>>       Forward --> blank --> "Update Search Path" --> ...
>

> Fixed.

Tab order is OK.
However, when selecting the Forward button for the first time from the
"Choose Method" window with the option "Update search path" selected,
the window size of the next window titled "Update Search Path" is
slightly larger then the previous window (about 5 - 10 pixels).  Moving
back and forth between these two windows afterwards does not change the
window size any more.
Also, the window size does not change when moving to the "Install into
home directory" window when pressing the Forward button the first time
around.

By the way, shouldn't the window titles "Install into home directory"
and "Update search path" be capitalized?  I'm just wondering.

>>Everything works when the "Update Search Path" option is selected.
>>However, when selecting the option "I'll do it myself" on the following
>>window the last window gives the instructions to edit the .gconf.path
>>file and restart the gconf backend.  There is no mention on how to
>>restart the gconf backend.  I suggest to list the command
>>   gconftool-2 --shutdown
>>here.  Or maybe better let the user know on the previous window ("Update
>>Path") that the gconf backend will need to be restarted if the
>>.gconf.path file got modified.  With that information users might rather
>>want gnucash to do this for them.
>

> I've done both of these.

Great!  This is much better now and easy to follow.
There is one issue I can foresee though:  The option of the command
   gconftool-2 --shutdown
appears - due to the font - to be just a single dash '-' instead of two
dash '--'.  Maybe it's possible to add an extra space between those
dashes or to display the command in a fixed type font to make it more
obvious?

>>When the option "Install into home directory" is selected the option
>>"Do it for me" on the next window fails.  So does the "I'll do it
>>myself" since the shell script
>>   update-gnucash-gconf
>>is not in the default search path.
>>
>>Note:  I have gnucash installed under /opt/gnucash2
>

> The update-gnucash-gconf script is installed in the same directory as
> gnucash.  Please try again with /opt/gnucash2/bin (or wherever) in your
> search path.  Both of these cases should work with the path set.  I've
> also added a note to the text that this file must appear in your search
> path.

I couldn't find the note in the druid indicating that the file must
appear in the search path when selecting "I'll do it myself".
Other then that the instructions are easy to follow now and everything
works as expected.

--
Thanks

     Volker Englisch

mailto:[hidden email]    (h)

Re: G2 Testing - gconf Druid

David Hampton-2
On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 23:37 -0500, Volker Englisch wrote:

> However, when selecting the Forward button for the first time from the
> "Choose Method" window with the option "Update search path" selected,
> the window size of the next window titled "Update Search Path" is
> slightly larger then the previous window (about 5 - 10 pixels).  Moving
> back and forth between these two windows afterwards does not change the
> window size any more.

I don't see this.  If anything, its gtk adjusting for the size of the
text on the "Update search path" page.  Not something to worry about.

> By the way, shouldn't the window titles "Install into home directory"
> and "Update search path" be capitalized?  I'm just wondering.

There's no explicit statement about this in the HIG, but the one example
druid page they show only capitalizes the first letter.  Most of the
other windows in that section of the document also use this same
capitalization scheme.  I've updated the druid so all the titles use
this same format.

> There is one issue I can foresee though:  The option of the command
>    gconftool-2 --shutdown
> appears - due to the font - to be just a single dash '-' instead of two
> dash '--'.  Maybe it's possible to add an extra space between those
> dashes or to display the command in a fixed type font to make it more
> obvious?

Have to think about this one.

> I couldn't find the note in the druid indicating that the file must
> appear in the search path when selecting "I'll do it myself".

I only put the statement into the text when you ask gnucash to run the
script.  It doesn't matter to the user whether or not the script is in
their path as they can always type the full path name.  To
programmatically execute the script, it needs to either be in the search
path or the full path name of the script has to be embedded into the
executable.  I was trying to avoid the latter.