G2 Testing - Scheduled Transactions/Register

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

G2 Testing - Scheduled Transactions/Register

Volker Englisch
I did some more testing with SX:

- Creating a new SX
   It appears that the values for the "Days in Advance" for a new SX are
   being populated from the defaults listed in the preferences for
   'Scheduled Transactions' even when the preferences are unchecked.

   Set the values in the preferences to anything other then '0', then
   uncheck the options.
   Now create a new SX. The values from the preferences are being used
   _and_ the options are checked by default.

- Creating a new SX
   I'm setting the frequency of the transaction and the start date. After
   this I want to specify the transaction and click anywhere in the
   transaction template.
   This causes the start date and the displayed calendar view to change
   to 2004-01-01.

- Saving a new SX crashes GC.  The message
     unknown, but with movement
   is displayed 50 times on the console.
   (I had this come up twice but can't recreate it right now)
   I am, however, able to save a new SX if I don't enter anything in the
   transaction template.

- Running the 'Since Last Run' I have a single transaction with status
     Ready to create
   The information for the split for this SX is not displayed in the
   Transaction Template.  When I click on the transaction to display
   the split, GC crashes.
   However, if I click the forward button, the 'Transaction Review'
   window appears and the program runs into a loop and the window size
   increases.  The bottom of the window moves towards the bottom of the
   screen and the window needs to be canceled.  The transaction is
   applied, though.

- Display of upcoming transactions
   When displaying the upcoming transactions by means of clicking in
   the calendar and hovering over the calendar dates, the small window
   first gets created in the upper left corner of the screen displaying
   the correct information in regards to the mouse position.
   As soon as the mouse gets moved, though, the small window follows the
   mouse pointer.
   The width of the window isn't changing with the dates and appears to
   always be the largest window size displayed so far during the current
   GC session.

- Register (SX transaction template)
   (I think these are problems with the register and not the SX)
   When entering the transaction in the template the pointer is not
   visible when I move from one field to the next using the TAB key
   or using a mouse click.  The pointer becomes visible when I start
   typing or when I click in the field a second time.

- Register (SX transaction template)
   When entering the account like this
      ex:u:
   to jump to
      Expenses:Utilities
   and then open the account list manually (GC1.8 opens the account list
   automatically) I should be able to see the accounts under Utilities.
   However, the account list does not display with the
   Expenses:Utilities account in view.  Instead, the list displayed is
   the top of the accounts list.

- Register (SX transaction template)
   Entering a value (e.g. '20.00') without entering an account or a memo
   for the first split causes everything else entered so far to be reset
   when tabbing to the second split.

--
Thanks

     Volker Englisch

mailto:[hidden email]    (h)
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: G2 Testing - Scheduled Transactions/Register

Chris Shoemaker
Volker,
        This is fantastic!  In-depth testing and reporting like this
is invaluable.  Thank you!
        I think you've given us a lot to work on here with SX.  If
you're going to continue testing I'd suggest picking another
subsystem, like maybe graphing, or maybe just the register.  (or soon
hopefully, budgetting.)

-chris

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 10:35:02PM -0400, Volker Englisch wrote:

> I did some more testing with SX:
>
> - Creating a new SX
>   It appears that the values for the "Days in Advance" for a new SX are
>   being populated from the defaults listed in the preferences for
>   'Scheduled Transactions' even when the preferences are unchecked.
>
>   Set the values in the preferences to anything other then '0', then
>   uncheck the options.
>   Now create a new SX. The values from the preferences are being used
>   _and_ the options are checked by default.
>
> - Creating a new SX
>   I'm setting the frequency of the transaction and the start date. After
>   this I want to specify the transaction and click anywhere in the
>   transaction template.
>   This causes the start date and the displayed calendar view to change
>   to 2004-01-01.
>
> - Saving a new SX crashes GC.  The message
>     unknown, but with movement
>   is displayed 50 times on the console.
>   (I had this come up twice but can't recreate it right now)
>   I am, however, able to save a new SX if I don't enter anything in the
>   transaction template.
>
> - Running the 'Since Last Run' I have a single transaction with status
>     Ready to create
>   The information for the split for this SX is not displayed in the
>   Transaction Template.  When I click on the transaction to display
>   the split, GC crashes.
>   However, if I click the forward button, the 'Transaction Review'
>   window appears and the program runs into a loop and the window size
>   increases.  The bottom of the window moves towards the bottom of the
>   screen and the window needs to be canceled.  The transaction is
>   applied, though.
>
> - Display of upcoming transactions
>   When displaying the upcoming transactions by means of clicking in
>   the calendar and hovering over the calendar dates, the small window
>   first gets created in the upper left corner of the screen displaying
>   the correct information in regards to the mouse position.
>   As soon as the mouse gets moved, though, the small window follows the
>   mouse pointer.
>   The width of the window isn't changing with the dates and appears to
>   always be the largest window size displayed so far during the current
>   GC session.
>
> - Register (SX transaction template)
>   (I think these are problems with the register and not the SX)
>   When entering the transaction in the template the pointer is not
>   visible when I move from one field to the next using the TAB key
>   or using a mouse click.  The pointer becomes visible when I start
>   typing or when I click in the field a second time.
>
> - Register (SX transaction template)
>   When entering the account like this
>      ex:u:
>   to jump to
>      Expenses:Utilities
>   and then open the account list manually (GC1.8 opens the account list
>   automatically) I should be able to see the accounts under Utilities.
>   However, the account list does not display with the
>   Expenses:Utilities account in view.  Instead, the list displayed is
>   the top of the accounts list.
>
> - Register (SX transaction template)
>   Entering a value (e.g. '20.00') without entering an account or a memo
>   for the first split causes everything else entered so far to be reset
>   when tabbing to the second split.
>
> --
> Thanks
>
>     Volker Englisch
>
> mailto:[hidden email]    (h)
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: G2 Testing - Scheduled Transactions/Register

Englisch, Volker (NIH/NCI)
 > If you're going to continue testing I'd suggest picking another
 > subsystem,

That's the plan.  I'm good at breaking stuff. :-)

Please feel free to comment if my explanation is not clear, when I need
to be more specific or when a screen shot is needed.

Thanks

     Volker Englisch

mailto:[hidden email]    (h)
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: G2 Testing - Scheduled Transactions/Register

Tim Wunder (Lists)
In reply to this post by Volker Englisch
On Tuesday 25 October 2005 10:35 pm, someone claiming to be Volker Englisch
wrote:

> I did some more testing with SX:
>
> - Creating a new SX
>    It appears that the values for the "Days in Advance" for a new SX are
>    being populated from the defaults listed in the preferences for
>    'Scheduled Transactions' even when the preferences are unchecked.
>
>    Set the values in the preferences to anything other then '0', then
>    uncheck the options.
>    Now create a new SX. The values from the preferences are being used
>    _and_ the options are checked by default.
>
In a related issue:
It would seem to be a good idea to have the preferences dialog mirror the SX
creation Options section.

See screenshot http://www.thewunders.org/files/pics/SX-prefs.jpg

There should be a preference for automatically creating the transaction, and
separate preferences for days in advance to create a transaction, and days in
advance to remind about a transaction.

So the SX preferences screen should look something like:
Since Last Run dialog:
[ ] Run when data file opened

Transaction editor defaults:
[ ] Create automatically
   [ ] Notify me when created (inactive if Create automaticallly is unchecked)

[ ] Create [    ] days in advance
[ ] Remind [    ] days in advance

Regards,
Tim


--
Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz), Linux 2.6.13-1.1532_FC4
KDE: 3.4.3-1.0.fc4.kde, xorg-x11-6.8.2-37.FC4.49.2
 11:00:06 up 1 day, 12:31,  3 users,  load average: 1.22, 0.41, 0.19
MP3/OGG archive Total playlength : 7 days, 10 hours, 31 mins 30 seconds
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts" John Wooden

_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel

attachment0 (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: G2 Testing - Scheduled Transactions/Register

Josh Sled
On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 12:04:51PM -0400, Tim Wunder wrote:
| In a related issue:
| It would seem to be a good idea to have the preferences dialog mirror the SX
| creation Options section.

True, and that makes sense; I'll need to talk to hampton to see if this
is readily possible, but I don't see why it wouldn't be.  FTR, however,
there are certainly issues I consider higher severity w.r.t. 2.0.

Thanks. :)

...jsled
--
http://asynchronous.org/jsled/ | a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: G2 Testing - Scheduled Transactions/Register

Tim Wunder (Lists)
In reply to this post by Tim Wunder (Lists)
On Thursday 27 October 2005 12:04 pm, someone claiming to be Tim Wunder wrote:
<snip>
> See screenshot http://www.thewunders.org/files/pics/SX-prefs.jpg
>

Link shoulda been:
http://www.thewunders.org:9000/files/pics/SX-prefs.jpg

--
Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz), Linux 2.6.13-1.1532_FC4
KDE: 3.4.3-1.0.fc4.kde, xorg-x11-6.8.2-37.FC4.49.2
 13:30:01 up 1 day, 15:01,  3 users,  load average: 0.15, 0.09, 0.08
MP3/OGG archive Total playlength : 7 days, 10 hours, 31 mins 30 seconds
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts" John Wooden

_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel

attachment0 (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: G2 Testing - Scheduled Transactions/Register

David Hampton-2
In reply to this post by Josh Sled
On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 13:30 -0400, Josh Sled wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 12:04:51PM -0400, Tim Wunder wrote:
> | It would seem to be a good idea to have the preferences dialog mirror the SX
> | creation Options section.
>
> True, and that makes sense; I'll need to talk to hampton to see if this
> is readily possible, but I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Shouldn't be any problem.  The preference definition is just a glade
file with callbacks to enable/disable the "days in advance" boxes.  Just
make sure the widget names don't get changed since that's what keys the
infrastructure to update gconf.

David



_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: G2 Testing - Scheduled Transactions/Register

David Hampton-2
In reply to this post by Josh Sled
On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 13:30 -0400, Josh Sled wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 12:04:51PM -0400, Tim Wunder wrote:
> | In a related issue:
> | It would seem to be a good idea to have the preferences dialog mirror the SX
> | creation Options section.
>
> True, and that makes sense; I'll need to talk to hampton to see if this
> is readily possible, but I don't see why it wouldn't be.  FTR, however,
> there are certainly issues I consider higher severity w.r.t. 2.0.

Josh,

I think my misunderstanding of the sx settings when I created the
preferences may be contributing to the problem.  Can you clarify for me
whether my current understanding is correct.  (Line numbers refer to the
sxed dialog options settings in Tim's picture.)

The "create automatically" seems to be a master setting. If clear, all
the other settings are ignored.  If checked, then transactions will be
created on the date of the transaction.  If the checkbox in line three
is selected, then transactions will not be created on the actual date of
the transaction, but will be created x days early.  If transactions are
being created automatically, the "notify me when created" checkbox seems
obvious.  You get a message when a transaction is created.  I'm confused
about the final line though.  Does this move the creation announcement
forward by x days, or is this an additional reminder that occurs in
advance of creating the transaction.  Also is this number of days
calculated from the date of the transaction, or the date that the
transaction will be created.  For example, if I have a transaction to be
created on December 1st, marked as create 7 days in advance and a
reminder 10 days in advance, when does the reminder occur?  November
14th (ten days before the transaction is created) or 21st (den days
before the transaction is dated).

Thanks.

David


_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: G2 Testing - Scheduled Transactions/Register

Tim Wunder (Lists)
On Thursday 27 October 2005 5:54 pm, someone claiming to be David Hampton
wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 13:30 -0400, Josh Sled wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 12:04:51PM -0400, Tim Wunder wrote:
> > | In a related issue:
> > | It would seem to be a good idea to have the preferences dialog mirror
> > | the SX creation Options section.
> >
> > True, and that makes sense; I'll need to talk to hampton to see if this
> > is readily possible, but I don't see why it wouldn't be.  FTR, however,
> > there are certainly issues I consider higher severity w.r.t. 2.0.
>
> Josh,
>
> I think my misunderstanding of the sx settings when I created the
> preferences may be contributing to the problem.  Can you clarify for me
> whether my current understanding is correct.  (Line numbers refer to the
> sxed dialog options settings in Tim's picture.)
>
> The "create automatically" seems to be a master setting. If clear, all
> the other settings are ignored.  If checked, then transactions will be
> created on the date of the transaction.
No, create automatically means it gets created without any intervention from
the user, whenever the Since Last Run dialog is run to completion within the
time frame of <days in advance> to <create date>.

I use create automatically for payday transactions that don't change week to
week.

> If the checkbox in line three
> is selected, then transactions will not be created on the actual date of
> the transaction, but will be created x days early.

SX's that are not created automatically are editable from within the Since
Last Run dialog (SLRD). If SLRD is run within <days in advance to create> to
<create date>, then the transaction is presented to the user for
edit/creation. If SLRD is run within <days in advance to remind> and <days in
advance to create>, a reminder is presented, from which it can be selected
for creation.

> If transactions are
> being created automatically, the "notify me when created" checkbox seems
> obvious.  You get a message when a transaction is created.  I'm confused
> about the final line though.  Does this move the creation announcement
> forward by x days, or is this an additional reminder that occurs in
> advance of creating the transaction.  Also is this number of days
> calculated from the date of the transaction, or the date that the
> transaction will be created.  For example, if I have a transaction to be
> created on December 1st, marked as create 7 days in advance and a
> reminder 10 days in advance, when does the reminder occur?  November
> 14th (ten days before the transaction is created) or 21st (den days
> before the transaction is dated).
>
>
If you want, I can create some screenies of the whole process (I use SX's
extensivley) and post them for your review. (but not tonight -- well, maybe
much later tonight...)

Tim

--
Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz), Linux 2.6.13-1.1532_FC4
KDE: 3.4.3-1.0.fc4.kde, xorg-x11-6.8.2-37.FC4.49.2
 18:20:06 up 1 day, 19:51,  4 users,  load average: 0.30, 0.32, 0.46
MP3/OGG archive Total playlength : 7 days, 10 hours, 31 mins 30 seconds
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts" John Wooden

_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel

attachment0 (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: G2 Testing - Scheduled Transactions/Register

Josh Sled
In reply to this post by David Hampton-2
On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 17:54 -0400, David Hampton wrote:

> I think my misunderstanding of the sx settings when I created the
> preferences may be contributing to the problem.  Can you clarify for me
> whether my current understanding is correct.  (Line numbers refer to the
> sxed dialog options settings in Tim's picture.)
>
> The "create automatically" seems to be a master setting. If clear, all
> the other settings are ignored.  If checked, then transactions will be
> created on the date of the transaction.  If the checkbox in line three
> is selected, then transactions will not be created on the actual date of
> the transaction, but will be created x days early.  If transactions are
> being created automatically, the "notify me when created" checkbox seems
> obvious.  You get a message when a transaction is created.  I'm confused
> about the final line though.  Does this move the creation announcement
> forward by x days, or is this an additional reminder that occurs in
> advance of creating the transaction.  Also is this number of days
> calculated from the date of the transaction, or the date that the
> transaction will be created.  For example, if I have a transaction to be
> created on December 1st, marked as create 7 days in advance and a
> reminder 10 days in advance, when does the reminder occur?  November
> 14th (ten days before the transaction is created) or 21st (den days
> before the transaction is dated).

As per coordination in #gnucash, I've already made these changes, but
FTR I'll reply here...

"Create automatically" conditionalizes only "notify when (automatically)
created" -- if it's not being created automatically you'll be notified
by definition in the SX-SLR dialog.

The options code-named "notify_days" is really "remind_days"; I've
renamed them in the schema and code appropriately to forestall future
confusion with the other unrelated "notify [when auto-created]" option.

The spinbuttons in this preference dialog behave *slightly* differently
than in the editor; in the preferences, "0" is a magic value meaning
"don't check the create-/remind-in-advance option *and* make the value
0."; as a corollary: non-zero in the preferences means "check the option
and set the spinbutton to be this non-zero value."   Thinking about it
now, there's no real reason for the editor to have both a checkbox and a
spinbutton: 0 can be a sentinel value there too... maybe I'll file an
RFE for that later.

I don't recall if the create-in-advance and remind-in-advance are
cumulative, but they should be, of course.  Otherwise, you can end up in
a weird state.

...jsled
--
http://asynchronous.org/ - `a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}`
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel