Fw: Canadian Mutual Fund Quotes

Cory Helfrich
Hello Dave,

I hope I am not pushing my luck, but I am wondering if you have had a chance to look at this.

Thanks for your help,
Cory

 Cory Helfrich
[hidden email]

Re: Fw: Canadian Mutual Fund Quotes

Doug Brown-5
   Try getting my patch at:
   [1]http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1938792&gro
   up_id=4232&atid=304232
   which I use to get Canadian mutual fund data from Stockhouse. I think
   "Canada Mutual" will pull from there, otherwise specify Stockhouse as
   your source (I'm not at my home computer so can't give you the exact
   source name).
   Doug.
   Cory Helfrich wrote:

Hello Dave,

I hope I am not pushing my luck, but I am wondering if you have had a chance to
 look at this.

Thanks for your help,
Cory

 Cory Helfrich
[2][hidden email]

email you sent April 7: [8]http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-
user/2008-April/024673.html

In this email, you recommended installing a Finance::Quote patch to
solve a similar problem with UK funds. Do you know whether installing
this patch would restore my ability to download Canadian fund prices?
If so, can you provide the command-line commands I would need to
enter to install the patch?

Thanks,
Cory

Cory Helfrich
[9][hidden email]

Connect with friends from any web browser - no download required. Try the new Y
ahoo! Canada Messenger for the Web BETA at [10]http://ca.messenger.yahoo.com/we
bmessengerpromo.php

References

   1. http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1938792&group_id=4232&atid=304232
   2. mailto:[hidden email]
   3. mailto:[hidden email]
   4. mailto:[hidden email]
   5. mailto:[hidden email]
   6. mailto:[hidden email]
   7. mailto:[hidden email]
   8. http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash
   9. mailto:[hidden email]
  10. http://ca.messenger.yahoo.com/webmessengerpromo.php

Re: Canadian Mutual Fund Quotes

Cory Helfrich
Hello Doug,

Thanks for the link. I downloaded "StockhouseCanada.pm". I am running
GnuCash on a Mac. Can you provide instructions on how to apply your
patch?

Thanks,
Cory
Cory Helfrich
[hidden email]

On Jun 3, 2008, at 7:43 PM, Doug Brown wrote:

> Try getting my patch at:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
> func=detail&aid=1938792&group_id=4232&atid=304232
>
> which I use to get Canadian mutual fund data from Stockhouse. I
> think "Canada Mutual" will pull from there, otherwise specify
> Stockhouse as your source (I'm not at my home computer so can't
> give you the exact source name).
>
> Doug.

Re: Canadian Mutual Fund Quotes

David Reiser
Doug's modified StockHouseCanada.pm worked for me. It is listed as
'stockhousecanada_fund' under the 'unknown' radio button in the
Security Editor.

I tried a couple changes to the f-q module that accesses the www.fundlibrary.com
  site, but I wasn't able to get it to work. It looks like they've
changed their site (again).

Dave

--
David Reiser

Re: Canadian Mutual Fund Quotes

David Reiser
Cory,

It's the full perl module for stockhouse. Find the original file
StockHouseCanada.pm and replace it with Doug's. If you're using a fink-
installed gnucash, the commands would be something like:

cd /sw/lib/perl5/5.8.8/Finance/Quote
sudo mv StockHouseCanada.pm StockHouseCanada.orig
sudo cp ~/Downloads/StockHouseCanada.pm .

(that period preceded by a space on the last line is intentional)

If you aren't using OS X 10.5, then the 5.8.8 probably won't be the
right subdirectory.

If you happen to have multiple copies of perl installed (easier to do
than you'd think), then you might have to search for other copies of
StockHouseCanada.pm and replace them too.

Dave

On Jun 3, 2008, at 12:59 PM, Cory Helfrich wrote:

> Hello Doug,
>
> Thanks for the link. I downloaded "StockhouseCanada.pm". I am running
> GnuCash on a Mac. Can you provide instructions on how to apply your
> patch?
>
> Thanks,
> Cory
> Cory Helfrich
> [hidden email]
>

> On Jun 3, 2008, at 7:43 PM, Doug Brown wrote:
>
>> Try getting my patch at:
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
>> func=detail&aid=1938792&group_id=4232&atid=304232
>>
>> which I use to get Canadian mutual fund data from Stockhouse. I
>> think "Canada Mutual" will pull from there, otherwise specify
>> Stockhouse as your source (I'm not at my home computer so can't
>> give you the exact source name).
>>
>> Doug.

David Reiser

Re: Canadian Mutual Fund Quotes

Cory Helfrich
Thanks, Dave and Doug,

I think I am now downloading fund prices again.

Thanks again for your help,
Cory
Cory Helfrich
[hidden email]

On Jun 3, 2008, at 8:55 PM, David Reiser wrote:

> Cory,
>
> It's the full perl module for stockhouse. Find the original file
> StockHouseCanada.pm and replace it with Doug's. If you're using a
> fink-installed gnucash, the commands would be something like:
>
> cd /sw/lib/perl5/5.8.8/Finance/Quote
> sudo mv StockHouseCanada.pm StockHouseCanada.orig
> sudo cp ~/Downloads/StockHouseCanada.pm .
>
> (that period preceded by a space on the last line is intentional)
>
> If you aren't using OS X 10.5, then the 5.8.8 probably won't be the
> right subdirectory.
>
> If you happen to have multiple copies of perl installed (easier to
> do than you'd think), then you might have to search for other
> copies of StockHouseCanada.pm and replace them too.
>
> Dave

How to account for paying dividends (UK)

Bugzilla from jim.hitch@englishlanguageservices.co.uk

Hi Guncashers.

I use guncash for my business accounts. I can find plenty of stuff in the
archive about getting dividends and putting them into personal accounts, but
can't find anything about paying them.

I pay them to myself, but don't know how to account for them. I know that they
shouldn't go into expenses, because they are paid from a presumed profit
(presumed in the sense that they are paid before EOY), and that I'm going to
need to put in a Corporation Tax liability... but can't quite get my head
around how to sort it out.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Re: How to account for paying dividends (UK)

Maf. King
On Thursday 12 Jun 2008, Jim Hitch wrote:

> Hi Guncashers.
>
> I use guncash for my business accounts. I can find plenty of stuff in the
> archive about getting dividends and putting them into personal accounts,
> but can't find anything about paying them.
>
> I pay them to myself, but don't know how to account for them. I know that
> they shouldn't go into expenses, because they are paid from a presumed
> profit (presumed in the sense that they are paid before EOY), and that I'm
> going to need to put in a Corporation Tax liability... but can't quite get
> my head around how to sort it out.

Hi Jim,

My dividends are treated as

Bank Current -> Expenses:Non-Vatable:Dividends

which my accountant seems happy with, although they are effectively taken
against "retained earnings" - ie from last year's post-tax profits

HTH,
Maf.