Force reconciliation on a per transaction basis?

Force reconciliation on a per transaction basis?

Brian Talley
One problem I've always had with GnuCash is that it doesn't seem like
there is a way to force a transaction as reconciled.  I realize this
probably violates every good accounting practice, but there are
instances where it would come in very handy for me.

So, is there a way?  Even if I couldn't do it from the GUI, I would
still be interested to know.

Brian Talley

Re: Force reconciliation on a per transaction basis?

Derek Atkins
Quoting Brian Talley <[hidden email]>:

> One problem I've always had with GnuCash is that it doesn't seem like
> there is a way to force a transaction as reconciled.  I realize this
> probably violates every good accounting practice, but there are
> instances where it would come in very handy for me.
>
> So, is there a way?  Even if I couldn't do it from the GUI, I would
> still be interested to know.

No, because it violates every good accounting practice.  Why on EARTH
would you want to do this?  It's not like you get a bank statement
every day against which you can reconcile.  Perhaps you don't understand
what the "Cleared" state is for?

I'll note that if you edited the data file you could make changes, but
doing so violates your warranty ;)

> Thanks,

Re: Force reconciliation on a per transaction basis?

Brian Talley
There have been times in the past that I wanted to do this - the
details I can't recall anymore.  But, let's take my current scenario:

I switch to GnuCash in October, 2006.  At the time of switch, I go
back to say August, 2006 and start entering transactions.  As I work
through these statements, all the accounts I think I need get created
and everything balances/reconciles, etc.  Then, let's say, in February
2007, I realized the way I've been tracking my auto loan hasn't been
sufficient and I want to modify it.  At the same time, I feel like I
have a good grip on what I'm doing and I want to go back through
December, 2005 (the origination date) and enter all the data about my
loan.  It's only one payment per month, so it's not that big of a deal
to go back and enter the information.  But, as you see where I'm
going, the payments I entered that occurred between December 2005 and
August 2006 aren't reconciled.  In this case, TO ME, it seems logical
to just force the transactions as reconciled.

Brian Talley
(970) 689 - 0108
[hidden email]

On 2/11/07, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Quoting Brian Talley <[hidden email]>:
>
> > One problem I've always had with GnuCash is that it doesn't seem like
> > there is a way to force a transaction as reconciled.  I realize this
> > probably violates every good accounting practice, but there are
> > instances where it would come in very handy for me.
> >
> > So, is there a way?  Even if I couldn't do it from the GUI, I would
> > still be interested to know.
>
> No, because it violates every good accounting practice.  Why on EARTH
> would you want to do this?  It's not like you get a bank statement
> every day against which you can reconcile.  Perhaps you don't understand
> what the "Cleared" state is for?
>
> I'll note that if you edited the data file you could make changes, but
> doing so violates your warranty ;)
>
> > Thanks,

>        Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
>        Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
>        [hidden email]                        PGP key available

Re: Force reconciliation on a per transaction basis?

Maf. King
On Sunday 11 Feb 2007, Brian Talley wrote:

> There have been times in the past that I wanted to do this - the
> details I can't recall anymore.  But, let's take my current scenario:
>
> I switch to GnuCash in October, 2006.  At the time of switch, I go
> back to say August, 2006 and start entering transactions.  As I work
> through these statements, all the accounts I think I need get created
> and everything balances/reconciles, etc.  Then, let's say, in February
> 2007, I realized the way I've been tracking my auto loan hasn't been
> sufficient and I want to modify it.  At the same time, I feel like I
> have a good grip on what I'm doing and I want to go back through
> December, 2005 (the origination date) and enter all the data about my
> loan.  It's only one payment per month, so it's not that big of a deal
> to go back and enter the information.  But, as you see where I'm
> going, the payments I entered that occurred between December 2005 and
> August 2006 aren't reconciled.  In this case, TO ME, it seems logical
> to just force the transactions as reconciled.
>
> Thanks,

Hi Brian,

Not sure if this is of any help, but bear with me.... oh, and IANAA, YMMV
£0.02 etc.

I assume that you are making loan repayments out of your checking account.

I also assume that on 1st August 2006, you have an "opening balance"
transaction, which as far as GC is concerned, gives you some wealth at "the
start of time"  That Opening balance transaction must have been reconciled by
you, at some point in the past. (or else, nothing will reconcile correctly
now)

By adding transactions "before the start of time", then you need to adjust
your opening balance transaction date to eg. 1st Dec. 2005, and alter opening
total in such a way that it gives you sufficient "new" money in order to make
your loan repayments Dec 05 thru Jul 06. (EG $100 per month, Dec-Jul = $800
added to opening balance)

As long as the balance on Aug 1st 2006 remains the same, you won't hit any
problems.

Then go into the reconcile dialogue, and re-reconcile your last paper
statement again - you will find the newly added historic transactions ready
for reconciling at the top of the list... (IIRC)

HTH,
Maf

Re: Force reconciliation on a per transaction basis?

Matej Cepl-5
Brian Talley scripst:
> to go back and enter the information.  But, as you see where I'm
> going, the payments I entered that occurred between December 2005 and
> August 2006 aren't reconciled.  In this case, TO ME, it seems logical
> to just force the transactions as reconciled.

You can reconcile only upto some date -- so in your case after you make
all your changes, you can re-reconcile upto August 2006. Or did I
misunderstood you?

Matej

--
http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/blog/, Jabber: ceplma<at>jabber.cz
GPG Finger: 89EF 4BC6 288A BF43 1BAB  25C3 E09F EF25 D964 84AC

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by
stupidity.
        -- Napoleon Bonaparte (or many other people to whom this
           quote is ascribed)

Re: Force reconciliation on a per transaction basis?

Quoting Brian Talley <[hidden email]>:

> There have been times in the past that I wanted to do this - the
> details I can't recall anymore.  But, let's take my current scenario:
>
> I switch to GnuCash in October, 2006.  At the time of switch, I go
> back to say August, 2006 and start entering transactions.  As I work
> through these statements, all the accounts I think I need get created
> and everything balances/reconciles, etc.  Then, let's say, in February
> 2007, I realized the way I've been tracking my auto loan hasn't been
> sufficient and I want to modify it.  At the same time, I feel like I
> have a good grip on what I'm doing and I want to go back through
> December, 2005 (the origination date) and enter all the data about my
> loan.  It's only one payment per month, so it's not that big of a deal
> to go back and enter the information.  But, as you see where I'm
> going, the payments I entered that occurred between December 2005 and
> August 2006 aren't reconciled.  In this case, TO ME, it seems logical
> to just force the transactions as reconciled.

You're thinking too hard about the problem.  The next month all you have
to do is run the reconcile dialog, ignore the starting balance, make
sure the ENDING balance is correct, and then just mark off all those old
transactions at once.

Re: Force reconciliation on a per transaction basis?

Brian Talley
Well, I guess if you want to do it the easy way... ;)

Thanks for the tip!