Font size on reports

Arthur Dyck-2
I recently upgraded to 2.0.4 on Kubuntu.  The trick of downgrading slib would
have been helpful a few days ago.

Anyway, I am printing off some reports and they are printing out at about a 20
pt font.  I'd like to get it down to 12 pts or so so they don't take three
pages.  I can't seem to find any adjustments for this.  Can anyone help?

Arthur
Liz

Re: Font size on reports

Liz
On Tuesday 13 February 2007 16:04, Arthur Dyck wrote:
> I recently upgraded to 2.0.4 on Kubuntu.  The trick of downgrading slib
> would have been helpful a few days ago.
>
> Anyway, I am printing off some reports and they are printing out at about a
> 20 pt font.  I'd like to get it down to 12 pts or so so they don't take
> three pages.  I can't seem to find any adjustments for this.  Can anyone
> help?
>
> Arthur
Cheat's method
export to html
edit the html

--
* joeyh wonders why everyone wants to know how tall he is
<james> joeyh: it helps the sniper

Re: Font size on reports

Arthur Dyck-2
On Monday 12 February 2007 21:38, Elizabeth Dodd wrote:

> On Tuesday 13 February 2007 16:04, Arthur Dyck wrote:
> > I recently upgraded to 2.0.4 on Kubuntu.  The trick of downgrading slib
> > would have been helpful a few days ago.
> >
> > Anyway, I am printing off some reports and they are printing out at about
> > a 20 pt font.  I'd like to get it down to 12 pts or so so they don't take
> > three pages.  I can't seem to find any adjustments for this.  Can anyone
> > help?
> >
> > Arthur
>
> Cheat's method
> export to html
> edit the html

Thanks, Elizabeth.  I can't believe that there's not a better solution out
there.

Arthur

Re: Font size on reports

Eric Ladner-2
Doesn't the HTML use a style sheet?  Couldn't that stylesheet be
external and customizable (or user inserts own CSS file with styles to
their liking).

On 2/12/07, Elizabeth Dodd <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 February 2007 16:04, Arthur Dyck wrote:
> Cheat's method
> export to html
> edit the html

Eric Ladner

Re: Font size on reports

Josh Sled
On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 11:30 -0600, Eric Ladner wrote:
> Doesn't the HTML use a style sheet?  Couldn't that stylesheet be
> external and customizable (or user inserts own CSS file with styles to
> their liking).

gtkhtml{1,3} doesn't have support for CSS.  There is a notion of a
"stylesheet", but it's a gnucash-internal concept, using <font> tags and
@bgcolor formatting in a limited context.

A switch to using gecko in place of gtkhtml would make css an option,
but that's not presently being developed.  It would probably need to go
alongside an overhaul of the reporting layer, in order to generate
reasonable CSS-styled html.

As for the OP's question:

<http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Alists.gnucash.org%20report%20font%20size&btnG=Google+Search>.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled;b=asynchronous.org;echo ${a}@${b}

Re: Font size on reports

Cam Ellison
Eric Ladner wrote:
> Doesn't the HTML use a style sheet?  Couldn't that stylesheet be
> external and customizable (or user inserts own CSS file with styles to
> their liking).

That's a reasonable solution - for people that have the ability to
create their own CSS.  Everyone else will need to generate the CSS from
user preferences.  Care to write the code?  That will also mean
re-writing the code that generates the html.

That being said, the html code in the reports is a bit clunky.

The easiest fix is to put a style clause in the Body opener (e.g.
style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 11pt") and specify a different
font-size for the headings.  Again, not for those without knowledge of html.

Cheers

Cam

--
Cam Ellison, Ph.D. R.Psych. #1417

Cam Ellison & Associates Ltd.
3446 Beach Avenue
Roberts Creek BC      V0N 2W2
Phone:           604-885-4806
Fax:             604-885-4809

Re: Font size on reports

Eric Ladner-2
Where's the code that spits out the HTML.  I'll take a look at it.

Writing a CSS UI -> file thingie is over my head, though.  It's got a
billion options and you'd only get the simple stuff in a UI.  I was
thinking more like people could come up with "themes" and users could
download and install the theme CSS and select it for a different look.
 Any UI work would probably only be on the level of changing font
sizes, types and colors of typical data, nothing fancy.

The other thing that's nice about CSS is if you're just spitting out
vanilla HTML, that's good enough to style as long as the markup is
done consistently (i.e. H1 for page titles, H2 for section titles,
etc.)  You could get fancy with a little extra markup on the page to
identify data as a particular business object or something similar and
create the CSS based on what's being displayed (every other line
highlighting comes to mind, or negative numbers in a different style)

--
Eric Ladner

Re: Font size on reports

Derek Atkins
"Eric Ladner" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Where's the code that spits out the HTML.  I'll take a look at it.

src/report/report-system/

It's mostly in Scheme.

> Writing a CSS UI -> file thingie is over my head, though.  It's got a
> billion options and you'd only get the simple stuff in a UI.  I was
> thinking more like people could come up with "themes" and users could
> download and install the theme CSS and select it for a different look.
>  Any UI work would probably only be on the level of changing font
> sizes, types and colors of typical data, nothing fancy.

That's okay.  We can't use CSS right now because GtkHTML doesn't
support it.

Right now the current running theory is that we need the HTML generator
to output appropriate <font> tags.

> The other thing that's nice about CSS is if you're just spitting out
> vanilla HTML, that's good enough to style as long as the markup is
> done consistently (i.e. H1 for page titles, H2 for section titles,
> etc.)  You could get fancy with a little extra markup on the page to
> identify data as a particular business object or something similar and
> create the CSS based on what's being displayed (every other line
> highlighting comes to mind, or negative numbers in a different style)

CSS would be nice, but it would require changing GtkTHML to something
else, like Gecko.  I'm not sure that we want GnuCash to depend on
mozilla!

Re: Font size on reports

Tommy Trussell
On 2/14/07, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "Eric Ladner" <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > Where's the code that spits out the HTML.  I'll take a look at it.
>
> src/report/report-system/
>
> It's mostly in Scheme.
>
> > Writing a CSS UI -> file thingie is over my head, though.  It's got a
> > billion options and you'd only get the simple stuff in a UI.  I was
> > thinking more like people could come up with "themes" and users could
> > download and install the theme CSS and select it for a different look.
> >  Any UI work would probably only be on the level of changing font
> > sizes, types and colors of typical data, nothing fancy.
>
> That's okay.  We can't use CSS right now because GtkHTML doesn't
> support it.
>
> Right now the current running theory is that we need the HTML generator
> to output appropriate <font> tags.

How about this idea -- Go ahead and add the code that generates
reports using cool CSS and whatever (I presume GtkHTML will not choke
on CSS but degrade as it should) HOWEVER add a button that will launch
your favorite browser pointing to the generated HTML.

I haven't dug into scheme yet -- could it spit out a file in /tmp or
somewhere and launch a browser pointing at it?

Re: Font size on reports

Derek Atkins
"Tommy Trussell" <[hidden email]> writes:

> How about this idea -- Go ahead and add the code that generates
> reports using cool CSS and whatever (I presume GtkHTML will not choke
> on CSS but degrade as it should) HOWEVER add a button that will launch
> your favorite browser pointing to the generated HTML.

Never presume anything about GtkHTML..   I would go and test this
before you actually go through all the work to make the generator.

> I haven't dug into scheme yet -- could it spit out a file in /tmp or
> somewhere and launch a browser pointing at it?

We do have the "Export" button on the reports, but it exports the
parsed HTML out of GtkHTML instead of the source html fed into GtkHTML.