Fixing www.gnucash.orgs/docs

sunfish62
Would it be possible to fix www.gnucash.org so that the docs for version 1.8 don't appear at the top of Google searches? Currently, most such searches put at least one link for something in www.gnucash.org/docs/v1.8 in the first few results. This can be extremely misleading to new users, who may not even notice the version number in the path.

Perhaps this portion of the document tree could be zipped up and made downloadable for that one person out there who still needs documentation for 1.8, rather than have some seriously-outdated documentation presented to the average user who uses Google to find help for their brand new installation of 2.4.6.

Re: Fixing www.gnucash.orgs/docs

Christian Stimming-4
Am Mittwoch, 15. Juni 2011 schrieb David T.:

> Would it be possible to fix www.gnucash.org so that the docs for version
> 1.8 don't appear at the top of Google searches? Currently, most such
> searches put at least one link for something in www.gnucash.org/docs/v1.8
> in the first few results. This can be extremely misleading to new users,
> who may not even notice the version number in the path.
>
> Perhaps this portion of the document tree could be zipped up and made
> downloadable for that one person out there who still needs documentation
> for 1.8, rather than have some seriously-outdated documentation presented
> to the average user who uses Google to find help for their brand new
> installation of 2.4.6.

Thanks for pointing this out. As a very first step, I've added the 1.6/1.8/2.0
paths in robots.txt so that they shouldn't be indexed by search engines
anymore. (There is still the 2.2 *and* 2.4 path allowed.)

Can you follow up on this issue in a few weeks from now, when the search
engines should have picked up this change? If the 1.8 docs still show up more
prominently, we should indeed do something about this (such as moving them to
another directory "obsolete..."), but maybe we don't need to zip them up.

Regards,

Christian

Re: Fixing www.gnucash.orgs/docs

sunfish62

> > 1.8 don't appear at the top of Google searches?
> Currently, most such
> > searches put at least one link for something in
> www.gnucash.org/docs/v1.8
> > in the first few results. This can be extremely
> misleading to new users,
> > who may not even notice the version number in the
> path.
> >
> > Perhaps this portion of the document tree could be
> zipped up and made
> > downloadable for that one person out there who still
> needs documentation
> > for 1.8, rather than have some seriously-outdated
> documentation presented
> > to the average user who uses Google to find help for
> their brand new
> > installation of 2.4.6.
>
> Thanks for pointing this out. As a very first step, I've
> added the 1.6/1.8/2.0
> paths in robots.txt so that they shouldn't be indexed by
> search engines
> anymore. (There is still the 2.2 *and* 2.4 path allowed.)
>
> Can you follow up on this issue in a few weeks from now,
> when the search
> engines should have picked up this change? If the 1.8 docs
> still show up more
> prominently, we should indeed do something about this (such
> as moving them to
> another directory "obsolete..."), but maybe we don't need
> to zip them up.

Thanks for doing this, Christian. I'll check periodically to see that it clears up. Mostly, I (like the rest of the world) use Google, but I can check what other big search enginges do as well.

> Christian

Re: Fixing www.gnucash.orgs/docs

sunfish62
Christian--

I just did a Google search on "gnucash tutorial". Unfortunately, the top hit for me is still the v1.8  guide. The svn version is listed second, while the 2.4 version in pdf is listed third--at least on my computer.

Cheers,
David

________________________________
Am Mittwoch, 15. Juni 2011 schrieb David T.:

> Would it be possible to fix www.gnucash.org so that the docs for version
> 1.8 don't appear at the top of Google searches? Currently, most such
> searches put at least one link for something in www.gnucash.org/docs/v1.8
> in the first few results. This can be extremely misleading to new users,
> who may not even notice the version number in the path.
>
> Perhaps this portion of the document tree could be zipped up and made
> downloadable for that one person out there who still needs documentation
> for 1.8, rather than have some seriously-outdated documentation presented
> to the average user who uses Google to find help for their brand new
> installation of 2.4.6.

Thanks for pointing this out. As a very first step, I've added the 1.6/1.8/2.0
paths in robots.txt so that they shouldn't be indexed by search engines
anymore. (There is still the 2.2 *and* 2.4 path allowed.)

Can you follow up on this issue in a few weeks from now, when the search
engines should have picked up this change? If the 1.8 docs still show up more
prominently, we should indeed do something about this (such as moving them to
another directory "obsolete..."), but maybe we don't need to zip them up.

Regards,

Christian

Re: Fixing www.gnucash.orgs/docs

Derek Atkins-3
But was the link active, and if so to which URL?
-derek

On Tue, July 12, 2011 8:55 pm, David T. wrote:

> Christian--
>
> I just did a Google search on "gnucash tutorial". Unfortunately, the top
> hit for me is still the v1.8  guide. The svn version is listed second,
> while the 2.4 version in pdf is listed third--at least on my computer.
>
> Cheers,
> David
>

> ________________________________

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: Fixing www.gnucash.orgs/docs

Johannes Kapune
Hi to all,
I also do search on google.de and get same results:

first
http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v1.8/C/gnucash-guide/

second
http://svn.gnucash.org/docs/guide/

third
http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.4/C/gnucash-guide.pdf

Johannes

Am 13.07.2011 03:22, schrieb Derek Atkins:

> But was the link active, and if so to which URL?
> -derek
>
> On Tue, July 12, 2011 8:55 pm, David T. wrote:
>> Christian--
>>
>> I just did a Google search on "gnucash tutorial". Unfortunately, the top
>> hit for me is still the v1.8  guide. The svn version is listed second,
>> while the 2.4 version in pdf is listed third--at least on my computer.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> David
>>

>> ________________________________

A while back I mentioned that the first hits in a Google search for a Gnucash tutorial returns outdated documentation.

I just did a new search on "gnucash tutorial," and the top hit for me is still the v1.8  guide. The svn version is listed second, while the 2.4 version in pdf is listed third--at least on my computer.

Cheers,
David

________________________________
Am Mittwoch, 15. Juni 2011 schrieb David T.:
> Would it be possible to fix www.gnucash.org so that the docs for version
> 1.8 don't
 appear at the top of Google searches? Currently, most such
> searches put at least one link for something in www.gnucash.org/docs/v1.8
> in the first few results. This can be extremely misleading to new users,
> who may not even notice the version number in the path.
>
> Perhaps this portion of the document tree could be zipped up and made
> downloadable for that one person out there who still needs documentation
> for 1.8, rather than have some seriously-outdated documentation presented
> to the average user who uses Google to find help for their brand new
> installation of 2.4.6.

Thanks for pointing this out. As a very first step, I've added the 1.6/1.8/2.0
paths in robots.txt so that they shouldn't be indexed by search engines
anymore. (There is still the 2.2 *and* 2.4 path allowed.)

Can you follow up on this issue in a few weeks from now, when the search
engines should
 have picked up this change? If the 1.8 docs still show up more
prominently, we should indeed do something about this (such as moving them to
another directory "obsolete..."), but maybe we don't need to zip them up.

Regards,

Christian

Re: Fixing www.gnucash.orgs/docs

Christian Stimming-4
Dear David,

indeed. The 1.8 tutorial shows up first, even though robots.txt clearly says
this URL should not go into the index.

@Developers: What do we do?
- Delete the v1.8 (and v1.6 and v2.0) docs altogether from the web page
- Move them to different location, such as $root/docs/old/*
- Do nothing

Ideas?

Christian

Am Dienstag, 15. November 2011 schrieb David T.:

> Christian--
>

> A while back I mentioned that the first hits in a Google search for a
> Gnucash tutorial returns outdated documentation.
>
> I just did a new search on "gnucash tutorial," and the top hit for me is
> still the v1.8  guide. The svn version is listed second, while the 2.4
> version in pdf is listed third--at least on my computer.
>
> Cheers,
> David
>

> ________________________________

Geert Janssens
On vrijdag 18 november 2011, Christian Stimming wrote:

> Dear David,
>
> indeed. The 1.8 tutorial shows up first, even though robots.txt clearly
> says this URL should not go into the index.
>
> @Developers: What do we do?
> - Delete the v1.8 (and v1.6 and v2.0) docs altogether from the web page
> - Move them to different location, such as $root/docs/old/*
> - Do nothing
>
> Ideas?

If the 1.8 tutorial still shows up first, that probably means one or several
other (high profile) sites are linking to it. In that case, the robots.txt
doesn't apply [1]

v1.6 documentation seems obsolete by now. You can't download that version of
GnuCash from sourceforge anymore either. So I'd delete that documentation.

I'm tempted to say the same for v1.8, and at once also clean this up on
sourceforge.

We may keep v2.0 for now. I would not move it yet, let's see if google picks
up 2.4 correctly after v1.8 has been removed. Otherwise I'd propose to move
the older docs to $root/docs/old.

Just my opinion.

Geert

[1]
http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=156449&from=35237&rd=1

> Christian
>
> Am Dienstag, 15. November 2011 schrieb David T.:
> > Christian--
> >

> > A while back I mentioned that the first hits in a Google search for a
> > Gnucash tutorial returns outdated documentation.
> >
> > I just did a new search on "gnucash tutorial," and the top hit for me is
> > still the v1.8  guide. The svn version is listed second, while the 2.4
> > version in pdf is listed third--at least on my computer.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > David
> >

> > ________________________________

John Ralls-2

On Nov 18, 2011, at 1:44 PM, Geert Janssens wrote:

> On vrijdag 18 november 2011, Christian Stimming wrote:
>> Dear David,
>>
>> indeed. The 1.8 tutorial shows up first, even though robots.txt clearly
>> says this URL should not go into the index.
>>
>> @Developers: What do we do?
>> - Delete the v1.8 (and v1.6 and v2.0) docs altogether from the web page
>> - Move them to different location, such as $root/docs/old/*
>> - Do nothing
>>
>> Ideas?
>>
> If the 1.8 tutorial still shows up first, that probably means one or several
> other (high profile) sites are linking to it. In that case, the robots.txt
> doesn't apply [1]
>
> v1.6 documentation seems obsolete by now. You can't download that version of
> GnuCash from sourceforge anymore either. So I'd delete that documentation.
>
> I'm tempted to say the same for v1.8, and at once also clean this up on
> sourceforge.
>
> We may keep v2.0 for now. I would not move it yet, let's see if google picks
> up 2.4 correctly after v1.8 has been removed. Otherwise I'd propose to move
> the older docs to $root/docs/old.

There 's a way to override that, explained on http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=93710

But I think it makes more sense to just move everything except 2.2 and 2.4 into docs/old.