First weeks with uservoice

Christian Stimming
Dear developers,

we've now had our first few days and weeks using the "uservoice"
feedback tool, http://gnucash.uservoice.com
I don't know what you think of it so far, but I must say I like the
site very much!

Its voting system and its simple registration makes it really easy for
users to set priorities on the most wanted features. I think this is a
very good tool when discussing really new enhancements. Bugzilla never
enabled us to set any useful priorities on those, except for the
severity of plain bugs. Hence, I'd like to continue to use bugzilla
for bugs because we know how to handle the severities and the
interdependencies among bugs. Enhancement requests, on the other hand,
seem to work much nicer on the uservoice site.

If there are further developers around who would like to the the
"admin" priviledges on uservoice (e.g. setting the status of items),
please notify me and I'll add you as admin.

With the increasing amount of feedback, I have further thoughts in
mind about how to encourage the implementation of the most wanted
features. For example, we can use our donation tip jar to put a
significant bounty on the most want features regularly. We would have
to agree on a decision process, or elect some sort of board or project
leader(s) who will get the authority to make such decisions. But in
principle the uservoice feedback enables us to identify a very small
set of wanted features and for this small set we can assign
significant bounties from the donation account.

For now, I'd like to encourage everyone to have a look at the
uservoice site and check the feedback we can collect from there.

Further thoughts? Comments?

Regards,

Christian

Re: First weeks with uservoice

Phil Longstaff
I hadn't looked at it before, but it looks good.

Can the items be linked to bugzilla entries?  Should we go through all of the
enhancement requests and move them to uservoice?  It's a bit of a pain to have 2
systems, because it would be easy for a person to enter something into bugzilla
which we then decide is really an enhancement, not a bug fix.

 Phil
---------
I used to be a hypochondriac AND a kleptomaniac. So I took something for it.

________________________________

Zitat von Phil Longstaff <[hidden email]>:
> I hadn't looked at it before, but it looks good.
>
> Can the items be linked to bugzilla entries?

No. Except that I have added the bugzilla URL as a comment in case I
already knew this item exists in bugzilla.

> Should we go through all of the
> enhancement requests and move them to uservoice?

Maybe a few weeks or months down the road we should indeed decide
whether we want to do this step. I wouldn't recommend this for now.

> It's a bit of a pain to have 2
> systems, because it would be easy for a person to enter something
> into bugzilla
> which we then decide is really an enhancement, not a bug fix.

Yes. I'd bear with this for a few weeks until we decide for a final solution.

Regards,

Christian

aegross
I have exhausted my points / availability to post into UserVoice.  At some point are points returned?  I am familiar with the idea of points being returned if a request introduced or voted on is implemented.  Is this the methodology for GnuCash?

Thanks,
Andrew Gross