Finance-Quote 1.47 released!

Erik Colson
New version 1.47 of Finance-Quote is available with the following changes:

        * Use AlphaVantage for currency quotes instead of Yahoo (Mike Alexander)

Authors:
  - Dj Padzensky <[hidden email]>, PadzNet, Inc.
  - Linas Vepstas <[hidden email]>
  - Yannick LE NY <[hidden email]>
  - Paul Fenwick <[hidden email]>
  - Brent Neal <[hidden email]>
  - Volker Stuerzl <[hidden email]>
  - Keith Refson <Keith.Refson#earth.ox.ac.uk>
  - Rob Sessink <[hidden email]>
  - Leigh Wedding <[hidden email]>
  - Tobias Vancura <[hidden email]>
  - James Treacy <[hidden email]>
  - Bradley Dean <[hidden email]>
  - Erik Colson <[hidden email]>

Re: Finance-Quote 1.47 released!

Cam Ellison-2
On 12/11/17 08:27 AM, Erik Colson wrote:
> New version 1.47 of Finance-Quote is available with the following changes:
>
>          * Use AlphaVantage for currency quotes instead of Yahoo (Mike Alexander)

FYI: USD->CAD now works, but not GBP->CAD.

Cheers

Cam

Cam Ellison <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 12/11/17 08:27 AM, Erik Colson wrote:
>> New version 1.47 of Finance-Quote is available with the following changes:
>>
>>          * Use AlphaVantage for currency quotes instead of Yahoo (Mike Alexander)
>>

> FYI: USD->CAD now works, but not GBP->CAD.

it does here:

~/DEVELOPMENT/finance-quote >>> perl -Ilib Examples/currency-lookup.pl GBP CAD
GBP->CAD = 1.66540274
~/DEVELOPMENT/finance-quote >>> perl -Ilib Examples/currency-lookup.pl CAD GBP
CAD->GBP = 0.60045536
--
erik colson

RE: files

GnuCash - User mailing list
Hello
All my files are on the desktop where I saved them. So I put them in a
folder and now when I try to open one of the pages, it asks me to save it,
if I click on save it wants a new path, how can I work from a main folder
pls?
Christine

> On 12/11/17 08:27 AM, Erik Colson wrote:
>> New version 1.47 of Finance-Quote is available with the following
changes:

>>          * Use AlphaVantage for currency quotes instead of Yahoo (Mike
Alexander)

> FYI: USD->CAD now works, but not GBP->CAD.

it does here:

~/DEVELOPMENT/finance-quote >>> perl -Ilib Examples/currency-lookup.pl GBP
CAD
GBP->CAD = 1.66540274
~/DEVELOPMENT/finance-quote >>> perl -Ilib Examples/currency-lookup.pl CAD
GBP
CAD->GBP = 0.60045536
--
erik colson

---

Re: files

John Ralls-2

> On Nov 12, 2017, at 4:27 PM, Christine via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello
> All my files are on the desktop where I saved them. So I put them in a
> folder and now when I try to open one of the pages, it asks me to save it,
> if I click on save it wants a new path, how can I work from a main folder
> pls?
> Christine

Please don't reply to messages when you want to start a new thread, it doesn't work.

Was GnuCash running when you moved the files?

RE: files

GnuCash - User mailing list
Hi John
Sorry I panicked and could not find out where to send messages. Gnucash was
not open when I placed the files in a folder. If that is what you mean.
Kind regards
Christine

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
> All my files are on the desktop where I saved them. So I put them in a
> folder and now when I try to open one of the pages, it asks me to save
> it, if I click on save it wants a new path, how can I work from a main
> folder pls?
> Christine

Please don't reply to messages when you want to start a new thread, it
doesn't work.

Was GnuCash running when you moved the files?

---

Re: files

John Ralls-2
Christine,

That is what I meant. How did you then open the file in the new location? What operating system/distro are you using?

> On Nov 13, 2017, at 8:35 AM, Christine <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi John
> Sorry I panicked and could not find out where to send messages. Gnucash was
> not open when I placed the files in a folder. If that is what you mean.
> Kind regards
> Christine

Pierre Keller
Le 12.11.2017 à 17:27, Erik Colson a écrit :
> New version 1.47 of Finance-Quote is available with the following changes:
>          * Use AlphaVantage for currency quotes instead of Yahoo (Mike Alexander)

This resolved my problem !

Thank you very very much Erik for all your efforts !

--

    Pierre Keller
    3006 Bern

Re: files

Christine,

Please remember to copy the list on all replies.

Is it read-only because you got the "unable to obtain the lock" dialog and selected "open read only"?

> On Nov 14, 2017, at 10:12 AM, Christine <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi john
> I have windows 7 and can't remember how I opened it before, but this time I
> used open with and the file is read only so I cannot add more to the
> accounts.
> Regards
> Christine

RE: files

GnuCash - User mailing list
Hi john
Yes

Please remember to copy the list on all replies.

Is it read-only because you got the "unable to obtain the lock" dialog and
selected "open read only"?

> On Nov 14, 2017, at 10:12 AM, Christine <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi john
> I have windows 7 and can't remember how I opened it before, but this
> time I used open with and the file is read only so I cannot add more
> to the accounts.
> Regards
> Christine

Re: files

John Ralls-2
Christine,

That confirms my earlier belief that GnuCash was in fact running when you moved your files.
Quit GnuCash and re-start it. This time when you get that dialog click "Open Anyway".

> On Nov 14, 2017, at 10:44 AM, Christine <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi john
> Yes

Alan Schold
I believe I have 1.47 installed and am trying to add the Alphaadvantage
key as described in the FAQ. I navigate to _C:\Program Files
(x86)\gnucash/etc/gnucash/environment_, and I'm not sure what to do
next. Opening /environment/ brings up an explanation of the file, but I
don't see anywhere to add the variable. I know I'm missing something simple.

On 11/12/2017 5:21 PM, Erik Colson wrote:

> Cam Ellison <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> On 12/11/17 08:27 AM, Erik Colson wrote:
>>> New version 1.47 of Finance-Quote is available with the following changes:
>>>
>>>           * Use AlphaVantage for currency quotes instead of Yahoo (Mike Alexander)
>>>

>> FYI: USD->CAD now works, but not GBP->CAD.
> it does here:
>
> ~/DEVELOPMENT/finance-quote >>> perl -Ilib Examples/currency-lookup.pl GBP CAD
> GBP->CAD = 1.66540274
> ~/DEVELOPMENT/finance-quote >>> perl -Ilib Examples/currency-lookup.pl CAD GBP
> CAD->GBP = 0.60045536
> --
> erik colson
>
> ---
> http://www.avg.com

Re: Finance-Quote 1.47 released!

randix
Alan... no ever accused GnuCash of being user friendly. Unfortunate.

The environment file you opened may look like simply a bunch of
instructions, but if you look closely, it's actually a combination of
comments and the commands themselves.  The comments explain each line that
follows, etc.  You don't need to concern yourself with those.

Simply go to the END of the file and on a new line, paste the necessary line
from the instructions, containing your Alphaadvantage code.  Then simply
save the file (I ended up having to change the permissions on the file to be
able to save it, btw) under the same name.

That's it.

Re: Finance-Quote 1.47 released!

Ok, I am seeing all this stuff with Finance Quote.  I thought I did
everything I needed, but when I run Gnucash, Tools, Price Editor, Get Quotes
I get the message 'Unable to retrieve quotes for these items' which is all
my stocks. Something is missing or not in the right place, or I left out a
step, etc.  Any help appreciated.  I am running OSX High Sierra. Thanks.

Re: Finance-Quote 1.47 released!

Megagrumpy
I probably missed this somewhere but is there anyway to get quotes on
Alphavantage for funds?
I am using the same fund id that I used on yahoo but get no quotes. This is
the ISIN code followed by .L for the LSE.
Also I successfully get all the company stocks quotes OK with the exception
of RELX plc (id REL.L)

Re: Finance-Quote 1.47 released!

Richard Ullger-2
On 22/11/17 08:21, Megagrumpy wrote:
> I probably missed this somewhere but is there anyway to get quotes on
> Alphavantage for funds?
> I am using the same fund id that I used on yahoo but get no quotes. This is
> the ISIN code followed by .L for the LSE.
> Also I successfully get all the company stocks quotes OK with the exception
> of RELX plc (id REL.L)

I get prices for a UK fund from the mstaruk quote source using the ISIN
code but without the .L suffix.

Re: Finance-Quote 1.47 released!

Megagrumpy
Thanks for your response - i tried Morningstar GB but got no response at all - normally I get the reply "Unable to retrieve quotes ..." but this time it looked like it had worked but no updates in the price editor.