Finance-Quote 1.42 released!

Erik Colson
New version 1.42 of Finance-Quote is available with the following changes:

        * more tests in alphavantage.t
        * BUG resolved: removed time from $last_refresh when markets are open

Authors:
  - Dj Padzensky <[hidden email]>, PadzNet, Inc.
  - Linas Vepstas <[hidden email]>
  - Yannick LE NY <[hidden email]>
  - Paul Fenwick <[hidden email]>
  - Brent Neal <[hidden email]>
  - Volker Stuerzl <[hidden email]>
  - Keith Refson <Keith.Refson#earth.ox.ac.uk>
  - Rob Sessink <[hidden email]>
  - Leigh Wedding <[hidden email]>
  - Tobias Vancura <[hidden email]>
  - James Treacy <[hidden email]>
  - Bradley Dean <[hidden email]>
  - Erik Colson <[hidden email]>

Re: Finance-Quote 1.42 released!

Fross, Michael
Thank you so much Erik.  I had a lot of trouble getting 1.40 and 1.41
working on windows, but 1.42 worked without issue using Alphavantage.

I appreciate you taking the time to help us (all all of the other users of
F:Q) out.

If anyone is having issues getting it working on Windows with Activatestate
Perl, I'd be happy to post about it, but it was really just installing F:Q
1.42 and then  changing all of my securities to update via Alphavantage.  I
also had to add the API key to an environment variable.

Regards,

Michael

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 12:05 PM, Erik Colson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> New version 1.42 of Finance-Quote is available with the following changes:
>
>         * more tests in alphavantage.t
>         * BUG resolved: removed time from $last_refresh when markets are
> open
>
> Authors:
>   - Dj Padzensky <[hidden email]>, PadzNet, Inc.
>   - Linas Vepstas <[hidden email]>
>   - Yannick LE NY <[hidden email]>
>   - Paul Fenwick <[hidden email]>
>   - Brent Neal <[hidden email]>
>   - Volker Stuerzl <[hidden email]>
>   - Keith Refson <Keith.Refson#earth.ox.ac.uk>
>   - Rob Sessink <[hidden email]>
>   - Leigh Wedding <[hidden email]>
>   - Tobias Vancura <[hidden email]>
>   - James Treacy <[hidden email]>
>   - Bradley Dean <[hidden email]>
>   - Erik Colson <[hidden email]>

Re: Finance-Quote 1.42 released!

nvsoar
On 11/06/17 12:04, Fross, Michael wrote:

> Thank you so much Erik.  I had a lot of trouble getting 1.40 and 1.41
> working on windows, but 1.42 worked without issue using Alphavantage.
>
> I appreciate you taking the time to help us (all all of the other users of
> F:Q) out.
>
> If anyone is having issues getting it working on Windows with Activatestate
> Perl, I'd be happy to post about it, but it was really just installing F:Q
> 1.42 and then  changing all of my securities to update via Alphavantage.  I
> also had to add the API key to an environment variable.
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael
snip

Good news.  Please advise the method to get and set up the API key for
someone who has never heard of an API key.
Thank you for your assistance to all involved.
nvsoar

Re: Finance-Quote 1.42 released!

Bruce Schuck
> New version 1.42 of Finance-Quote is available with the following
> changes:

> * more tests in alphavantage.t> * BUG resolved: removed time from $last_refresh when markets are open

A big thank you for working on this over the weekend Erik. I have
noticed that fetching the quotes on OSX (10.31.1 High Sierra) and Ubuntu
16.04LTS does take quite a bit longer than it did from the Yahoo API.

If you launch GnuCash using the launcher in a Finder window, add your
"export ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY=XXXXXXXXXXXXX" line to the file
"/Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash". I added it just
below the last current export line.

-  Bruce S.

Re: Finance-Quote 1.42 released!

Fross, Michael
Hello nvsoar,

Firstly, head to alphavantage.co and signup for a free API key.  This key
is tied to you and allows you to query their data.

Secondly, set an environment variable in Windows.  The variable should be:
ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY=xxxxxxxx where xxxxxx is the key from above.  In order
to set this in windows, please see my post of last week.  You can reach
that chain here
<http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/F-Q-1-39-with-support-for-AlphaVantage-released-to-CPAN-td4694638.html#a4694646>
.

Thirdly, you have to install Finance::Quote v1.42.  How you do this will
vary based on which perl distribution you are using.  I installed manually
which is ab it more involved.  It will take a day or two for the
repositories to update to 1.42 in which case you should be able to use your
distributions tools to update it.  I use Activestate's ActivePerl, and will
be able to update with PPM (perl package manager).

Lastly, change your securities to update with Alphavantage.  Open the
security editor in gnucash, edit your security, and choose OTHER |
Alphavantage for online quote updates.

After that it worked fine for me.  It is much slower than Yahoo.  For my
list, it took about 45 seconds to get all of the quotes.

I hope that helps.

Michael

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 2:40 PM, nvsoar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/06/17 12:04, Fross, Michael wrote:
>
>> Thank you so much Erik.  I had a lot of trouble getting 1.40 and 1.41
>> working on windows, but 1.42 worked without issue using Alphavantage.
>>
>> I appreciate you taking the time to help us (all all of the other users of
>> F:Q) out.
>>
>> If anyone is having issues getting it working on Windows with
>> Activatestate
>> Perl, I'd be happy to post about it, but it was really just installing F:Q
>> 1.42 and then  changing all of my securities to update via Alphavantage.
>> also had to add the API key to an environment variable.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Michael
>>
> snip
>
> Good news.  Please advise the method to get and set up the API key for
> someone who has never heard of an API key.
> Thank you for your assistance to all involved.
> nvsoar

Re: Finance-Quote 1.42 released!

Bruce Schuck
> If you launch GnuCash using the launcher in a Finder window, add your
> "export ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY=XXXXXXXXXXXXX" line to the file
> "/Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash". I added it just
> below the last current export line.

On a similar note, if you launch Gnucash from the launcher on Ubuntu
16.04, add a line with your API KEY to "/etc/gnucash/environment" in the
form "ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX".

However, it appears the resources behind the API may be getting
overwhelmed. I've been getting more timeouts than successful data
retrieval. Even when trying the sample URLS
(https://www.alphavantage.co/documentation/) with my API key.

Bruce S.

Re: Finance-Quote 1.42 released!

randix
Michael Fross wrote
*
> also had to add the API key to an environment variable.
*

So for someone running *Windows 10*, could you expand on "*I also had to add
the API key to an environment variable.*"

Re: Finance-Quote 1.42 released!

Dave H
Check out this nabble thread for details....

Cheers Dave H.

On 7 November 2017 at 11:42, Steve <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Michael Fross wrote
> > If anyone is having issues getting it working on Windows with
> > Activatestate
> > Perl, I'd be happy to post about it, but it was really just installing
> F:Q
> > 1.42 and then  changing all of my securities to update via Alphavantage.
> *
> > also had to add the API key to an environment variable.
> *
> >

> So for someone running *Windows 10*, could you expand on "*I also had to
> add
> the API key to an environment variable.*"

RE: Finance-Quote 1.42 released!

陳 志昌
Thank you for all of your contribution.

I have F-Q 1.40 installed in my Windows 10. But when I tried to upgrade to 1.42 from 1.40, system told me that 1.40 is up-to-date.
Did I miss some step?

I've applied for an API key from AlphaVantage and set the environment variable OK in Winodws 10.

jctchen

Thank you so much Erik.  I had a lot of trouble getting 1.40 and 1.41 working on windows, but 1.42 worked without issue using Alphavantage.

I appreciate you taking the time to help us (all all of the other users of
F:Q) out.

If anyone is having issues getting it working on Windows with Activatestate Perl, I'd be happy to post about it, but it was really just installing F:Q
1.42 and then  changing all of my securities to update via Alphavantage.  I also had to add the API key to an environment variable.

Regards,

Michael

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 12:05 PM, Erik Colson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> New version 1.42 of Finance-Quote is available with the following changes:
>
>         * more tests in alphavantage.t
>         * BUG resolved: removed time from $last_refresh when markets
> are open
>
> Authors:
>   - Dj Padzensky <[hidden email]>, PadzNet, Inc.
>   - Linas Vepstas <[hidden email]>
>   - Yannick LE NY <[hidden email]>
>   - Paul Fenwick <[hidden email]>
>   - Brent Neal <[hidden email]>
>   - Volker Stuerzl <[hidden email]>
>   - Keith Refson <Keith.Refson#earth.ox.ac.uk>
>   - Rob Sessink <[hidden email]>
>   - Leigh Wedding <[hidden email]>
>   - Tobias Vancura <[hidden email]>
>   - James Treacy <[hidden email]>
>   - Bradley Dean <[hidden email]>
>   - Erik Colson <[hidden email]>

Re: Finance-Quote 1.42 released!

randix
Thank you. After reviewing those threads you referenced, think I'll do
nothing for the moment, will wait for the dust to settle... appreciate your
reply, however.

RE: Finance-Quote 1.42 released!

陳 志昌
1.43 is able to be upgraded in Windows. But when I am upgrading it, some error messages as below.

* Check Perl version

* Install required perl modules

Database was generated on Mon, 06 Nov 2017 02:13:58 GMT

Updating database file ...
Done!
Date::Manip is up to date (6.60).
Running install for module 'Finance::Quote'
Running make for E/EC/ECOCODE/Finance-Quote-1.43.tar.gz
Fetching with LWP:
http://cpan.strawberryperl.com/authors/id/E/EC/ECOCODE/Finance-Quote-1.43.tar.gz
Error reading 'C:\strawberry\cpan\FTPstats.yml': Alert: While trying to 'parse' YAML file
 'C:\strawberry\cpan\FTPstats.yml'
with 'YAML' the following error was encountered:
  YAML Error: Invalid element in map
   Code: YAML_LOAD_ERR_BAD_MAP_ELEMENT
   Line: 3
   Document: 1
 at C:\strawberry\perl\vendor\lib/YAML/Loader.pm line 351.

Stashing away as 'C:\strawberry\cpan\FTPstats.yml.1510022664' to prevent further interruptions. You may want to remove that file later.
Could not rename: Permission denied

An error occurred, see above.

jctchen

? ?? <[hidden email]> writes:

> Error reading 'C:\strawberry\cpan\FTPstats.yml': Alert: While trying to 'parse' YAML file
>  'C:\strawberry\cpan\FTPstats.yml'
> ..
> Stashing away as 'C:\strawberry\cpan\FTPstats.yml.1510022664' to prevent further interruptions. You may want to remove that file later.
> Could not rename: Permission denied

I'm by no means a Windows expert, but I would try manually removeing
FTPstats.yml and restart the installation.

best
--
erik colson

? ?? <[hidden email]> writes:

> Thank you for all of your contribution.
>
> I have F-Q 1.40 installed in my Windows 10. But when I tried to upgrade to 1.42 from 1.40, system told me that 1.40 is up-to-date.
> Did I miss some step?

Probably not.  There is a lag between me uploading F::Q and the CPAN
server indexing it and making it available.  Also, your system might be
configured to use a cpan mirror which will add another lag.

best
--
erik colson

RE: Finance-Quote 1.42 released!

陳 志昌
Thank you, Erik.

I've updated F-Q to 1.43 successfully.
And,
Got an API Key from AlphaVantage, set it in Windows Environment Variable.
Changed the GnuCash online quote source to Other/alphavantage in Security Editor.

But I still got error message (something like "System error when getting quote") when I updated the security prices.
All share prices remained unchanged.

BTW, I use multiple currencies. New F-Q will work well with update of currency exchange rate?

Thank you, jctchen

> Error reading 'C:\strawberry\cpan\FTPstats.yml': Alert: While trying
> to 'parse' YAML file  'C:\strawberry\cpan\FTPstats.yml'
> ..
> Stashing away as 'C:\strawberry\cpan\FTPstats.yml.1510022664' to prevent further interruptions. You may want to remove that file later.
> Could not rename: Permission denied

I'm by no means a Windows expert, but I would try manually removeing FTPstats.yml and restart the installation.

best
--
erik colson

RE: Finance-Quote 1.42 released!

Russell Mercer
I would like to echo the same result that jctchen is having. I installed the new version of finance quote after adding the API key, then set the source to Unknown/alphavantage, which is how it shows on Windows.

I receive the same error when I hit the Get Quotes button. It took probably 20 seconds before it returned this error.

Not sure if there is a place to find a log for it, but if anyone has pointers in that regard, I would be happy to post it.

Thanks for your efforts so far, they are much appreciated.

Russell

On Nov 7, 2017, 05:00 -0800, ? ?? <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> Thank you, Erik.
>
> I've updated F-Q to 1.43 successfully.
> And,
> Got an API Key from AlphaVantage, set it in Windows Environment Variable.
> Changed the GnuCash online quote source to Other/alphavantage in Security Editor.
>
> But I still got error message (something like "System error when getting quote") when I updated the security prices.
> All share prices remained unchanged.
>
> BTW, I use multiple currencies. New F-Q will work well with update of currency exchange rate?
>
> Thank you, jctchen

brad
I got the system error in gnucash yesterday too, with FQ 1.40. I'm not
getting that error right now, but not getting the quotes either.   I've
updated to 1.43

Running the identical gnc-fq-dump cmd, sometimes gives an error &
sometimes works

gnc-fq-dump -v alphavantage IWD
--- snip non useful bits ...

All fields returned by Finance::Quote for stock IWD

stock           field  value
-----           -----  -----
IWD          errormsg: Invalid API call. Please retry or visit the
documentation (https://www.alphavantage.co/documentation/) for
TIME_SERIES_DAILY.

just a few seconds later it works

gnc-fq-dump -v alphavantage IWD
Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
     symbol: IWD                  <=== required
       date: 11/06/2017           <=== required
   currency: USD                  <=== required
       last: 120.0700             <=\
        nav:                      <=== one of these
      price:                      <=/
   timezone:                      <=== optional

All fields returned by Finance::Quote for stock IWD

stock           field  value
-----           -----  -----
IWD             close: 120.0700
IWD          currency: USD
IWD              date: 11/06/2017
IWD              high: 120.1400
IWD           isodate: 2017-11-06
IWD              last: 120.0700
IWD               low: 119.7800
IWD            method: alphavantage
IWD              open: 119.9200
IWD           success: 1
IWD            symbol: IWD
IWD            volume: 1235771

On 11/07/2017 09:19 AM, Russell Mercer wrote:

> I would like to echo the same result that jctchen is having. I installed the new version of finance quote after adding the API key, then set the source to Unknown/alphavantage, which is how it shows on Windows.
>
> I receive the same error when I hit the Get Quotes button. It took probably 20 seconds before it returned this error.
>
> Not sure if there is a place to find a log for it, but if anyone has pointers in that regard, I would be happy to post it.
>
> Thanks for your efforts so far, they are much appreciated.
>
> Russell
>
> On Nov 7, 2017, 05:00 -0800, ? ?? <[hidden email]>, wrote:
>> Thank you, Erik.
>>
>> I've updated F-Q to 1.43 successfully.
>> And,
>> Got an API Key from AlphaVantage, set it in Windows Environment Variable.
>> Changed the GnuCash online quote source to Other/alphavantage in Security Editor.
>>
>> But I still got error message (something like "System error when getting quote") when I updated the security prices.
>> All share prices remained unchanged.
>>
>> BTW, I use multiple currencies. New F-Q will work well with update of currency exchange rate?
>>
>> Thank you, jctchen

I just saw another thread on the email list with a link to the finance
quote dev list.  It looks like the issue with retrieving quotes is probably
not due to a problem on Windows, or how it is installed, but limitations on
the Alphavantage API with how it handles requests.  This limitation is then
causing the f:q server to max out on requests.

Given that we are only 6 days on from the apocalypse, some patience is
likely in order to give the f:q devs time to get a handle on this.

Here is the link to the discussion board for anyone interested:
https://sourceforge.net/p/finance-quote/discussion/12832/thread/af96314b/?limit=25#feb4/b8ce

GB

Re: Finance-Quote 1.42 released!

GB
Thank you very much Erik !

I tried this out (on my mac osx) and it works great.  Set the API key and
changed all of my stock quotes to use alphavantage

GB