Finally ready to move from Windoze to Unix, suggestions of flavor of Unix to use

12

Finally ready to move from Windoze to Unix, suggestions of flavor of Unix to use

Jeffrey Black
I realize this is the wrong forum to ask but; I am finally looking to
ditch Windoze 10 completely.

I am at my wits end trying to get ubuntu to work with my system. I have
tried every post I can find on activating the ethernet and wifi, none of
which work.

I have an iBUYPOWER intel core I5 computer with the Realtek
RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit ethernet controller, and usb:o
realtek generic usb device 802.11ac wlan adapter (usb 2), all built into
the motherboard.  The motherboard model is H170-pro.  Meaning I have no
internet, wifi, or networking capability under ubuntu.

I can run ubuntu 14 in a vm window but; it is even slower than Windoze
10 pro 64-bit.  And Windoze 10 is painfully slow now. GnuCash takes
forever to load with all the additional junk micro$oft has added.  Under
the VM, go to town and eat dinner before GnuCash loads.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what flavor of Unix I should use on
this computer?     Wifi, networking and GnuCash are mandatory
requirements for me to switch.

--JEffrey Black M.B.A.

Re: Finally ready to move from Windoze to Unix, suggestions of flavor of Unix to use

Edward Doolittle
It looks like the driver for the RealTek controller is proprietary, so
you'll have to go through some extra steps to get it working.  For
starters, check out this:
https://unixblogger.com/2016/08/11/how-to-get-your-realtek-rtl8111rtl8168-working-updated-guide/
and the top answer to this:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/933055/ubuntu-16-04-realtek-rtl8111-8168-8411-ethernet-driver-is-not-maintaining-a-pers

A Google search turns up lots of other stuff. You'll have to sift through
it, try a few things, and use your judgment about what to keep.

In the meantime you can get a cheap ethernet card with non-proprietary
driver software to get your networking working.

On 15 March 2018 at 00:17, jeffrey black <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I realize this is the wrong forum to ask but; I am finally looking to
> ditch Windoze 10 completely.
>
> I am at my wits end trying to get ubuntu to work with my system. I have
> tried every post I can find on activating the ethernet and wifi, none of
> which work.
>
> I have an iBUYPOWER intel core I5 computer with the Realtek
> RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit ethernet controller, and usb:o
> realtek generic usb device 802.11ac wlan adapter (usb 2), all built into
> the motherboard.  The motherboard model is H170-pro.  Meaning I have no
> internet, wifi, or networking capability under ubuntu.
>
> I can run ubuntu 14 in a vm window but; it is even slower than Windoze
> 10 pro 64-bit.  And Windoze 10 is painfully slow now. GnuCash takes
> forever to load with all the additional junk micro$oft has added.  Under
> the VM, go to town and eat dinner before GnuCash loads.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion on what flavor of Unix I should use on
> this computer?     Wifi, networking and GnuCash are mandatory
> requirements for me to switch.
>
> --JEffrey Black M.B.A.

Edward Doolittle
Associate Professor of Mathematics
First Nations University of Canada
1 First Nations Way, Regina SK S4S 7K2

« Toutes les fois que je donne une place vacante, je fais cent mécontents
et un ingrat. »
-- Louis XIV, dans Voltaire, Le Siècle de Louis XIV, Chap. XXVI
Liz

Re: Finally ready to move from Windoze to Unix, suggestions of flavor of Unix to use

Liz
On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 06:17:38 +0000
jeffrey black <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I realize this is the wrong forum to ask but; I am finally looking to
> ditch Windoze 10 completely.
>
> I am at my wits end trying to get ubuntu to work with my system. I
> have tried every post I can find on activating the ethernet and wifi,
> none of which work.

I think the safest advice is to obtain a number of "Live" distros, and
try them out without installing.
When you find one, and otherwise it seems OK, install it onto a
separate hard drive.

Some ideas for trying
https://www.debian.org/CD/live/
https://linuxmint.com/download.php
https://www.lifewire.com/create-uefi-bootable-linux-mint-usb-2202084
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Live_USB_stick
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD

Liz

Re: Finally ready to move from Windoze to Unix, suggestions of flavor of Unix to use

Amish
Hello

Try Arch Linux if you are willing to put initial efforts in learning and
a bit of tweaking here and there.

It has r8168 drivers too. (as a separate package which you can install
easily)

Plus rolling release model which means you will always have up-to-date
system. Once you get hold of it, its very easy to maintain.

Arch used to support Gnucash but due to webkit related security issues
it stopped releasing Gnucash officially.

However there is archlinuxcn repository which is well maintained so its
very easy to install Gnucash from there.

Arch also has DVD / USB live media with which you can test if your
internet is working with it.

Regards,

Amish

On Thursday 15 March 2018 11:47 AM, jeffrey black wrote:
> I realize this is the wrong forum to ask but; I am finally looking to
> ditch Windoze 10 completely.

> Does anyone have a suggestion on what flavor of Unix I should use on
> this computer?     Wifi, networking and GnuCash are mandatory
> requirements for me to switch.
>
> --JEffrey Black M.B.A.

Re: Finally ready to move from Windoze to Unix, suggestions of flavor of Unix to use

Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd)
On 15 March 2018 at 07:43, Amish <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
>
> Try Arch Linux if you are willing to put initial efforts in learning and a
> bit of tweaking here and there.

It is not an ideal distribution for a newbie to Linux. It is very much
aimed at more advanced users.

> Amish

Dave

Re: Finally ready to move from Windoze to Unix, suggestions of flavor of Unix to use

Adonay Felipe Nogueira-2
> I have an iBUYPOWER intel core I5 computer with the Realtek
> RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit ethernet controller, and usb:o

According to h-node ([1][2]), at least in Trisquel 7, 6, and also in
Parabola, some of the revisions of that Ethernet controller work fine
([3]), but you have to pay attention to the *revision* ("rev" part).

> RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit ethernet controller, and usb:o
> realtek generic usb device 802.11ac wlan adapter (usb 2), all built into
> the motherboard.  The motherboard model is H170-pro.  Meaning I have no

It seems that we have to try getting the wifi chipset/card/controller
information yet again, because it seems that the vendor/provider
informed you the device's "generic" name ([4]).

So, let's be more sustainability-friendly and consious consumers and
resist this temptation to use non-sustainable non-free software. :D
Follow the guide in [5] to get more information about the wifi
chipset/card/controller, and optionally other information about the rest
of the hardware.

> Does anyone have a suggestion on what flavor of Unix I should use on
> this computer?     Wifi, networking and GnuCash are mandatory
> requirements for me to switch.

I don't know if it's "Unix" or not --- since Unix is really old now ---,
but I highly recommend free/libre GNU+Linux system distributions such as
Trisquel, Parabola, GuixSD, and the list of recommendations goes
on... check [6][7] --- preferably the original English versions of these
pages --- for the full list. All of these distros are actively
maintained and have very helpful community.

In the next hardware/computer/cellphone/tablet/electronic you purchase,
it would be helpful to, instead of surrendering your precious money
immediatelly to the most common wrongdoers/manufacturers/providers,
contribute to a better free/libre software based world by buying a
equivalent product that is certified with Respects Your Freedom ([8]). In
this same reference, there are USB wifi dongles that you can use to
connect to wifi in case the default wifi chipset/card/controller doesn't
work.

[1] <https://h-node.org/home/index/en>.

[2] h-node is a good resource, but must be a second choice since it is
only a workaround for the underlying problem, and I would recommend it
only to be used with used/old hardware, and only if there is absolutely
no way to raise funds to buy one device listed in [8]. Also, the absense
of a device in h-node simply means that no one registered a test there,
this doesn't mean that it doesn't work.

[3]
<https://h-node.org/ethernetcards/view/en/315/Realtek-Semiconductor-Co---Ltd--RTL8111-8168-8411--OR-RTL8111-8168B--PCI-Express-Gigabit-Ethernet-Controller--rev-06->.

[4] These "generic" names are mostly to tell about capabilities, but
hide the possible trouble of having to install non-free software, it's a
way that these pesky providers found to lure people into not thinking on
the software freedom of those computer programs that people are using,
which is bad, because once people are lured into buying this stuff, they
tend to just accept the next step of installing crap because "we already
bought it, and are already here anyway".

[5] <https://h-node.org/wiki/page/en/Discover-your-hardware>.

[6] <https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html>.

[7] <https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-non-gnu-distros.html>.

[8] <https://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/endorsement/respects-your-freedom>
or <https://www.fsf.org/ryf>.

--
- https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com

Re: Finally ready to move from Windoze to Unix, suggestions of flavor of Unix to use

Alan Whiteman
My vote goes to Linux Mint. Superb distro.

On 03/15/2018 06:21 AM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

> On 15 March 2018 at 07:43, Amish <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> Try Arch Linux if you are willing to put initial efforts in learning and a
>> bit of tweaking here and there.
>>
> It is not an ideal distribution for a newbie to Linux. It is very much
> aimed at more advanced users.
>

>> Amish
>>
> Dave

Re: Finally ready to move from Windoze to Unix, suggestions of flavor of Unix to use

Les Elliott
Second that, I have it running of 2 of my laptops (one for testing
purposes).

One thing (among many) is it is continuously being improved, every few
months a newer version is released.

Les

On 03/15/2018 08:55 AM, Alan Whiteman wrote:

> My vote goes to Linux Mint. Superb distro.
>
> On 03/15/2018 06:21 AM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
>> On 15 March 2018 at 07:43, Amish <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> Try Arch Linux if you are willing to put initial efforts in learning
>>> and a
>>> bit of tweaking here and there.
>>>
>> It is not an ideal distribution for a newbie to Linux. It is very much
>> aimed at more advanced users.
>>

>>> Amish
>>>
>> Dave

Re: Finally ready to move from Windoze to Unix, suggestions of flavor of Unix to use

Tracey C-2
I'd also recommend Linux Mint. In my experience, it's easy to setup and
use, even for someone who is used to Windows and new to Linux. The Mint
and Ubuntu support communities are very helpful (Mint is based on Ubuntu
so a lot of articles about Ubuntu can also apply). I ran it for years on
my work and personal laptops because I was looking for a stable
distribution. Gnucash runs well on Mint.

The Mint maintainers also are very keen on keeping the user experience
hassle free. Their changes always have the user experience in mind (as
opposed to other goals like making changes to chase the new shiny).

On 03/15/2018 09:08 AM, Les wrote:

> Second that, I have it running of 2 of my laptops (one for testing
> purposes).
>
> One thing (among many) is it is continuously being improved, every few
> months a newer version is released.
>
> Les
>

> On 03/15/2018 08:55 AM, Alan Whiteman wrote:
>> My vote goes to Linux Mint. Superb distro.

--
Tracey C

Re: Finally ready to move from Windoze to Unix, suggestions of flavor of Unix to use

Jeffery, I have used Linux Mint and Manjaro with good success. Am
currently using Mint because I got tired of the large, frequent updates
associated with Manjaro, a derivative of Arch Linux.  I agree you should
try a few live-CDs to see if the distro recognizes your hardware.
GNUCash availability of current versions is a little spotty because of
some of the old packages that the 2.6 series requires.  Manjaro/Arch
Linux/Archlabs provide latest GNUCash versions through what they call
AUR.  Recent GNUCash versions for Mint are through get-deb.  Generally,
I think GNUCash runs better on the Linux platforms I've tried vs
Windows. Mike

On 03/14/2018 11:17 PM, jeffrey black wrote:

> I realize this is the wrong forum to ask but; I am finally looking to
> ditch Windoze 10 completely.
>
> I am at my wits end trying to get ubuntu to work with my system. I have
> tried every post I can find on activating the ethernet and wifi, none of
> which work.
>
> I have an iBUYPOWER intel core I5 computer with the Realtek
> RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit ethernet controller, and usb:o
> realtek generic usb device 802.11ac wlan adapter (usb 2), all built into
> the motherboard.  The motherboard model is H170-pro.  Meaning I have no
> internet, wifi, or networking capability under ubuntu.
>
> I can run ubuntu 14 in a vm window but; it is even slower than Windoze
> 10 pro 64-bit.  And Windoze 10 is painfully slow now. GnuCash takes
> forever to load with all the additional junk micro$oft has added.  Under
> the VM, go to town and eat dinner before GnuCash loads.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion on what flavor of Unix I should use on
> this computer?     Wifi, networking and GnuCash are mandatory
> requirements for me to switch.
>
> --JEffrey Black M.B.A.

Re: Finally ready to move from Windoze to Unix, suggestions of flavor of Unix to use

Colin Law
On 15 March 2018 at 13:55, Alan Whiteman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My vote goes to Linux Mint. Superb distro.

I believe that Mint is based on Ubuntu, so if ethernet is an issue with
Ubuntu I imagine the same will be true of Mint.  In fact if you can get any
Linux version to work with your card then Ubuntu should work with the same
drivers.

Colin

> On 03/15/2018 06:21 AM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
>
>> On 15 March 2018 at 07:43, Amish <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello
>>>
>>> Try Arch Linux if you are willing to put initial efforts in learning and
>>> bit of tweaking here and there.
>>>
>>> It is not an ideal distribution for a newbie to Linux. It is very much
>> aimed at more advanced users.
>>

>> Amish
>>>
>>> Dave

Re: Finally ready to move from Windoze to Unix, suggestions of flavor of Unix to use

Robert Heller
At Thu, 15 Mar 2018 15:31:15 +0000 Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 15 March 2018 at 13:55, Alan Whiteman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > My vote goes to Linux Mint. Superb distro.
>

> I believe that Mint is based on Ubuntu, so if ethernet is an issue with
> Ubuntu I imagine the same will be true of Mint.  In fact if you can get any
> Linux version to work with your card then Ubuntu should work with the same
> drivers.

One of Mint's "improvements" over Ubuntu is additional drivers, partitularly
closed source ones. Ubuntu (and Debian), like Red Hat Enterprise linux is
fairly "strict" with reguard to being a totally open source distribution. Mint
is "looser" in that reguard.

> Colin
>

> > On 03/15/2018 06:21 AM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> >
> >> On 15 March 2018 at 07:43, Amish <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello

> >> aimed at more advanced users.
> >>

> >> Amish

> >> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> >> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> >> -----

> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

Robert Heller                      -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Download the Model Railroad System
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Binaries for Linux and MS-Windows
heller@deepsoft.com        -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Re: Finally ready to move from Windoze to Unix, suggestions of flavor of Unix to use

Adonay Felipe Nogueira-2
> One of Mint's "improvements" over Ubuntu is additional drivers, partitularly
> closed source ones. Ubuntu (and Debian), like Red Hat Enterprise linux is
> fairly "strict" with reguard to being a totally open source distribution. Mint
> is "looser" in that reguard.

I see something off here, since Trisquel 7, 6 and Parabola are
free/libre distros --- not simply "open source" --- but some versions of
the Ethernet chipset/card/controller mentioned does seem to work.

Re: Finally ready to move from Windoze to Unix, suggestions of flavor of Unix to use

Tracey C
I'd also recommend Linux Mint. In my experience, it's easy to setup and
use, even for someone who is used to Windows and new to Linux. The Mint
and Ubuntu support communities are very helpful (Mint is based on Ubuntu
so a lot of articles about Ubuntu can also apply). I ran it for years on
my work and personal laptops because I was looking for a stable
distribution. Gnucash runs well on Mint.

The Mint maintainers also are very keen on keeping the user experience
hassle free. Their changes always have the user experience in mind (as
opposed to other goals like making changes to chase the new shiny).

On 03/15/2018 09:08 AM, Les wrote:

> Second that, I have it running of 2 of my laptops (one for testing
> purposes).
>
> One thing (among many) is it is continuously being improved, every few
> months a newer version is released.
>
> Les
>

> On 03/15/2018 08:55 AM, Alan Whiteman wrote:
>> My vote goes to Linux Mint. Superb distro.

--
Tracey C

Re: Finally ready to move from Windoze to Unix, suggestions of flavor of Unix to use

bhoth
Another vote for Linux Mint, current running 18.3 on 3 different computers.

Re: Finally ready to move from Windoze to Unix, suggestions of flavor of Unix to use

Adrien Monteleone
Jeffrey,

As you can see, such a question can generate more suggestions than people responding.

As someone who just tackled an issue with closed-source wifi drivers in Ubuntu, the links Edward provided seem to probably be the best route. I’ve also successfully tackled Realtek cards before, but they were much older, and each chipset comes with a “your mileage will vary” caveat.

Note, I’d recommend creating a live usb/dvd (USB3 would be the fastest) and load that to test your distro of choice. If you’re familiar with Ubuntu, just stick with that. No need to add an OS learning curve yet when you already have a hardware issue. (Mint would be a fine substitute as noted if you want another choice)

While in the live environment, try out the solutions presented on the pages Edward linked or others you find. Always try the easy, simple stuff first. If there are commands to try, such as blacklisting modules, bringing interfaces up and down, do those first, before you jump into compiling drivers yourself. More than likely, a usable driver you need is already compiled in the universe repository. It’s just a matter of installing it and blacklisting whatever is the default so your driver loads.

Once you get networking in a usable state in the live environment, THEN install the OS. (Ubuntu and other distros are usually nice to Windows should you want to retain that installation - MS not so much if you go the other way around)

Of course, you’ll have to repeat the steps to get networking up and running properly again, but you’ll be able to avoid the trial and error and just jump to the actual solution.

Live environments are always slower than an actual install, but they should be significantly faster than running inside a VM, especially on a Windows 10 host.

Whatever distro you choose, use their forums for help on your specific problem. They’ll be able to provide more tailored assistance.

Best of luck.

> On Mar 15, 2018, at 1:17 AM, jeffrey black <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I realize this is the wrong forum to ask but; I am finally looking to
> ditch Windoze 10 completely.
>
> I am at my wits end trying to get ubuntu to work with my system. I have
> tried every post I can find on activating the ethernet and wifi, none of
> which work.
>
> I have an iBUYPOWER intel core I5 computer with the Realtek
> RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit ethernet controller, and usb:o
> realtek generic usb device 802.11ac wlan adapter (usb 2), all built into
> the motherboard.  The motherboard model is H170-pro.  Meaning I have no
> internet, wifi, or networking capability under ubuntu.
>
> I can run ubuntu 14 in a vm window but; it is even slower than Windoze
> 10 pro 64-bit.  And Windoze 10 is painfully slow now. GnuCash takes
> forever to load with all the additional junk micro$oft has added.  Under
> the VM, go to town and eat dinner before GnuCash loads.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion on what flavor of Unix I should use on
> this computer?     Wifi, networking and GnuCash are mandatory
> requirements for me to switch.
>
> --JEffrey Black M.B.A.

Re: Finally ready to move from Windoze to Unix, suggestions of flavor of Unix to use

Adonay Felipe Nogueira-2
> As you can see, such a question can generate more suggestions than
> people responding.

+1 (I agree), this is mostly because there is no single "Linux", every
GNU+Linux system distribution has different goals, different community
rules, views, software freedom status, and so on. It's like
clothing, some fit and some don't.

When someone says that they're using "Linux", that tells nothing both in
terms of which distro and if that distro's project is committed to
support only free/libre software or not.

Historically, and as is still today, it's common for distro projects to
combine tools from the GNU project together with Linux (kernel), or to
depend on some tools from GNU in order to make the kernel or some other
package. Linux (kernel) isn't the user-friendly or full-featured thing
we know about if we name it alone --- for example in phrases such as "I
use Linux" ---, so one can address the "set" of default packages in a
given distro by calling the distro's name --- /e.g.:/ "I use Trisquel"
(which is true by the way, :D) --- this should give credit to: GNU
project (if the distro uses or provides its software), Linux (assuming
this is the default kernel used), and all the people that contributed and
also those which sill contribute to the distro.

> Whatever distro you choose, use their forums for help on your specific
> problem. They’ll be able to provide more tailored assistance.

+1

Re: Finally ready to move from Windoze to Unix, suggestions of flavor of Unix to use

Mike or Penny Novack-3
On 3/15/2018 2:16 PM, Adonay Felipe Nogueira wrote:
>> As you can see, such a question can generate more suggestions than
>> people responding.
> +1 (I agree), this is mostly because there is no single "Linux", every
> GNU+Linux system distribution has different goals, different community
> rules, views, software freedom status, and so on. It's like
> clothing, some fit and some don't.
Perhaps even more to the point for somebody totally new to a 'nix.

With the various Windows OS's and with the Mac OS's the "operating
system" you get ONE "windows manager". When the users of that Windows OS
or Mac OS interact with their computer they see (interact with) that
"windows manager" and so see THAT as their operating system. But the
actual operating system is underneath that.

The typical linux (or unix) distribution offers a CHOICE of "windows
manager" (what you as the user interact with). I am not going to go into
how these differ except to point out that they all have their adherents,
sometimes fiercely partisan in favor of their preference (KDE, Gnome,
etc.). The distro you choose MAY come with one of these "as default" but
you shouldn't decide "I don't like linux" (should that be the case)
based upon JUST experiencing it through the mediation of that windows
manager. Before giving up on your linux install, try switching to a
different windows manager.

Likewise, when working at the command line (if you do) you also usually
get a choice of "shell language". Any of these, combined with the
standard 'nix library, constitute a powerful "string processing
language" << a computer language where the fundamental data type is
"string" >>  Again, if you don't like the first you get, you can try
another << eg: I preferred "bash" >>

Michael D Novack

PS: I can't help with your linux. Been more than ten years since I last
used a 'nix (before the house fire)

Re: Finally ready to move from Windoze to Unix, suggestions of flavor of Unix to use

Robert Heller
Some other things:

When buying a *new* computer, it pays to pay attention to the hardware
details.  Check the fine print or ask the sales critter about the make/model
of the various chipsets used:

Intel chips (Ethernet, Wifi, Video, Sound, etc.) are often amoung the *best*
supported under Linux.  Intel is actively involved in the Linux kernel support
community, so most/all of their chipsets will have kernel drivers as part of
the base kernel.  Note: you might still need to download and install Wifi
*firmware*.

Newbies should probably avoid nVidia video chips.  (Yes nVidia's video chips
might be faster, but they can be a hassle because although nVidia "supports"
Linux, they do it with semi-closed drivers that are non-trivial to install or
update.)  Unless you are doing serious 3D modeling or animation, they are more
hassle than they are worth.

RedHat employees use Leveno laptops, so it is likely that a Leveno laptop will
work *out of the box* with any RedHat-based distro (and will likely work with
Ubuntu, since RedHat is likely to push the drivers they develop into the Linux
kernel tree).

At Thu, 15 Mar 2018 12:56:22 -0500 Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > I can run ubuntu 14 in a vm window but; it is even slower than Windoze
> > 10 pro 64-bit.  And Windoze 10 is painfully slow now. GnuCash takes
> > forever to load with all the additional junk micro$oft has added.  Under
> > the VM, go to town and eat dinner before GnuCash loads.
> >
> > Does anyone have a suggestion on what flavor of Unix I should use on
> > this computer?     Wifi, networking and GnuCash are mandatory
> > requirements for me to switch.
> >
> > --JEffrey Black M.B.A.

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

Robert Heller                      -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Download the Model Railroad System
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Binaries for Linux and MS-Windows
heller@deepsoft.com        -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Re: Finally ready to move from Windoze to Unix, suggestions of flavor of Unix to use

Ronal B Morse-2
Another vote for Linux Mint.

I don't use it as my distribution of choice, but I maintain a number of
installations for others and find Mint to be the most user-friendly and
difficult to break of the more widely used flavors of Linux.

It's been a while since I encountered hardware that Mint does not
support, too.

RBM