Files don't export as html- text edit instead.

Files don't export as html- text edit instead.

Peter Kiessling
Fairly consistent user Gnucash for home finances. Often export reports as html and then into spreadsheet for massaging. All has worked well for years. Suddenly the report export now is in text edit format which does not enter correctly into spreadsheet. I can manually change it to .html which looks ok in browser but  compacts into several columns in spreadsheet. Gnucash 2.6.18.  So I downloaded 2.6.19 and same thing. Rebooted computer- no change. iMac 10.13.3.
When getting report for export the window is the same as before and is labelled at the top “exporting HTML”. But it doesn’t happen. File is text edit.
My current workaround is export file then manually add .html. Open in browser, copy and paste to spreadsheet. Then adjust table paste settings to tab for separator.
Awkward.

Re: Files don't export as html- text edit instead.

David Cousens
Peter,

For your info. No problem with report export ( balance sheet) as html in
Gnucash 2.6.19 running on Linux Mint 18.3, so it may be a specific Mac bug.
It may also be a change in the html import for the spreadsheet you are
using, if that has been recently updated.

On Linux the .html extension is added to the file name by default and it
opens directly in my browser. I can also import the report.html file
directly into LibreOffice (v 6.0.2.1) and it is imported with an appropriate
set of columns. By default they have the spreadsheet default widths, so the
report does look compacted but this is easily fixed by dragging the column
boundaries.

I know it doesn't help too much knowing it is working on other platforms but
it may help the developers isolate the problem.

Re: Files don't export as html- text edit instead.

Adrien Monteleone
It’s not a Mac problem. It works fine for me on High Sierra, at least. The solution is simple enough though should it not work, just manually add the .html. (the file itself IS HTML, so this will simply tell the OS to use the default app, in this case a browser, to open the file instead of Text Edit) Numbers won’t read an HTML file, but LO Calc can import it via ‘Insert Sheet From File’ and opening in a browser for display and then copy/paste produces the same result. (Numbers can take the copy/paste) But if you’re going to copy/paste anyway, you can just skip the export entirely and copy the report directly.