Feedback about 2.7.8

12

Feedback about 2.7.8

Christoph R
Hi,

since 2.7.8 is deemed a release candidate I am giving it a try on MacOS High Sierra.

here is my feedback so far:
It choked on one of my files, which worked fine with 2.6 and was probably created with 2.4 or even earlier.  There was an out-of range date in the price database which I corrected manually. But normal users would have been lost.
adding “EXTRA_ARGS=--nofile” to Library/Application\ Support/Gnucash/gnucashrc does not have any effect any more.
Normal accounting with aqbanking and trading accounts seems to work fine. My reports are fine.
Finally I can change unreconciled splits in a transaction with reconciled splits again. Changing account or value of a reconciled split gives me the correct warning as needed. Yeah!
But I can change the description of a reconciled split without a warning. I need to file a bug report on that.
Fonts and icons are different - due to gtk3 - and not necessarily to my liking. I had customised .gtkrc-2.0.gnucash a bit and of course this does not work any more. Unfortunately I did not figure out how to customise gtk3 on MacOS. Any help would be appreciated

Besides the nitpicks above it looks pretty good. Thanks for all the good work!

Cheers,
Christoph

Re: Feedback about 2.7.8

David Carlson-4
Does changing the description of a reconciled split line unreconcile the
transaction or does it leave the split reconciled but simply have no
warning?

David C

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 8:54 AM, Alen Siljak <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2018 at 3:46 PM
> > From: "Christoph R" <[hidden email]>
> > To: gnucash-devel <[hidden email]>
> > Subject: Feedback about 2.7.8
> > But I can change the description of a reconciled split without a
> warning. I need to file a bug report on that.
>
> Chris, I'm just wondering - why would a change of description require
> re-reconciliation?
> Somehow, I'd expect that the date and amount are the relevant fields. The
> description is something for me (the user) to add notes about the
> transaction and is basically irrelevant for anyone else, therefore not
> requiring re-reconciliation with another account statement (i.e. bank or
> credit card statement). Just wondering what your case is.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alen

Re: Feedback about 2.7.8

Christoph R
> Does changing the description of a reconciled split line unreconcile the transaction or does it leave the split reconciled but simply have no warning?

It leaves the split reconciled.

Cheers,
Christoph

> Am 28.03.2018 um 16:03 schrieb David Carlson <[hidden email]>:
>
> Does changing the description of a reconciled split line unreconcile the transaction or does it leave the split reconciled but simply have no warning?
>
> David C
>
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 8:54 AM, Alen Siljak <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> > Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2018 at 3:46 PM
> > From: "Christoph R" <[hidden email] <mailto:subscriptions%[hidden email]>>
> > To: gnucash-devel <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
> > Subject: Feedback about 2.7.8
> > But I can change the description of a reconciled split without a warning. I need to file a bug report on that.
>
> Chris, I'm just wondering - why would a change of description require re-reconciliation?
> Somehow, I'd expect that the date and amount are the relevant fields. The description is something for me (the user) to add notes about the transaction and is basically irrelevant for anyone else, therefore not requiring re-reconciliation with another account statement (i.e. bank or credit card statement). Just wondering what your case is.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alen

Re: Feedback about 2.7.8

Christoph R
Hi Alen,

> The description is something for me (the user) to add notes about the transaction and is basically irrelevant for anyone else

we might argue about that.

I find it at least inconsistent since the transaction description is in fact protected by the reconciliation of a single split.

Cheers,
Christoph

> Am 28.03.2018 um 15:54 schrieb Alen Siljak <[hidden email]>:
>

>> Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2018 at 3:46 PM
>> From: "Christoph R" <[hidden email]>
>> To: gnucash-devel <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: Feedback about 2.7.8
>> But I can change the description of a reconciled split without a warning. I need to file a bug report on that.
>
> Chris, I'm just wondering - why would a change of description require re-reconciliation?
> Somehow, I'd expect that the date and amount are the relevant fields. The description is something for me (the user) to add notes about the transaction and is basically irrelevant for anyone else, therefore not requiring re-reconciliation with another account statement (i.e. bank or credit card statement). Just wondering what your case is.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alen

Re: Feedback about 2.7.8

Op woensdag 28 maart 2018 15:46:26 CEST schreef Christoph R:
> Hi,
>
> since 2.7.8 is deemed a release candidate I am giving it a try on MacOS High
> Sierra.
>
> here is my feedback so far:

Thanks for your feedback.

> It choked on one of my files, which worked fine with 2.6 and was probably
> created with 2.4 or even earlier.  There was an out-of range date in the
> price database which I corrected manually. But normal users would have been
> lost.
What was the date set to before you corrected it ? And how does it display in
gnucash 2.6 if you look at that particular price in the Price editor ?

> adding “EXTRA_ARGS=--nofile” to Library/Application\
> Support/Gnucash/gnucashrc does not have any effect any more.

I never heard of a gnucashrc file. Perhaps that is/was an OS X/Quarz specific
extension ? The loading code on OS X has been aligned with Windows and Linux
in this development cycle, so perhaps it got lost in that work.

> Normal
> accounting with aqbanking and trading accounts seems to work fine. My
> reports are fine.

Nice :)

> Finally I can change unreconciled splits in a transaction
> with reconciled splits again.

Yay!

> Changing account or value of a reconciled
> split gives me the correct warning as needed. Yeah! But I can change the
> description of a reconciled split without a warning.

Hmm, a split doesn't have a description, only a memo. Do you mean you get no
warning when changing the memo ? Or do you mean you can change the transaction
description of a transaction that has reconciled splits ?

> I need to file a bug
> report on that.

> Fonts and icons are different - due to gtk3 - and not
> necessarily to my liking. I had customised .gtkrc-2.0.gnucash a bit and of
> course this does not work any more. Unfortunately I did not figure out how
> to customise gtk3 on MacOS. Any help would be appreciated

I have updated the relevant FAQ entry:
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_change_the_register_colors.3F

> Besides the nitpicks above it looks pretty good. Thanks for all the good
> work!

Thanks! I'm happy the overall result is satisfactory as the gtk update was
unplanned and pretty late in the development cycle.

Re: Feedback about 2.7.8

Christoph R
Hi Geert,

> Am 28.03.2018 um 17:24 schrieb Geert Janssens <[hidden email]>:
>
> Op woensdag 28 maart 2018 15:46:26 CEST schreef Christoph R:
>
>> It choked on one of my files, which worked fine with 2.6 and was probably
>> created with 2.4 or even earlier.  There was an out-of range date in the
>> price database which I corrected manually. But normal users would have been
>> lost.
> What was the date set to before you corrected it ? And how does it display in
> gnucash 2.6 if you look at that particular price in the Price editor ?

Date was <ts:date>1301-09-13 00:05:08 +0053</ts:date>
and it shows up absolutely correct as 13.9.1301 :-)

>> adding “EXTRA_ARGS=--nofile” to Library/Application\
>> Support/Gnucash/gnucashrc does not have any effect any more.
>
> I never heard of a gnucashrc file. Perhaps that is/was an OS X/Quarz specific
> extension ? The loading code on OS X has been aligned with Windows and Linux
> in this development cycle, so perhaps it got lost in that work.

Yes it was parsed by the MacOS launcher script, which apparently is gone now.

>> Changing account or value of a reconciled
>> split gives me the correct warning as needed. Yeah! But I can change the
>> description of a reconciled split without a warning.
>
> Hmm, a split doesn't have a description, only a memo. Do you mean you get no
> warning when changing the memo ? Or do you mean you can change the transaction
> description of a transaction that has reconciled splits ?

I get no warning when changing the memo. I get one when changing the transaction description.

>> Fonts and icons are different - due to gtk3 - and not
>> necessarily to my liking. I had customised .gtkrc-2.0.gnucash a bit and of
>> course this does not work any more. Unfortunately I did not figure out how
>> to customise gtk3 on MacOS. Any help would be appreciated
>
> I have updated the relevant FAQ entry:
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_change_the_register_colors.3F

Wow, this CSS stuff is cryptic. Can you enlighten me how to set font and font size?

Cheers,
Christoph

Re: Feedback about 2.7.8

Adrien Monteleone
Geert,

I just noticed in the sample file linked in the FAQ that the following rules are repeated at the top and bottom of the file:

/* Change font color by mixing with grey */
.lighter-grey-mix {
color: mix (currentColor, grey, 0.8);
}
.darker-grey-mix {
color: mix (currentColor, grey, 0.2);
}

If someone didn’t see the bottom rules and only changed the top versions, they wouldn’t see any change in the interface.

Is there a class/id list for the GnuCash UI so we can know what’s available to style? Or are those listed in the sample file the only ones available? (I’m also assuming other properties can be set, for example font-size in addition to color, etc. or is this not possible?)

> On Mar 28, 2018, at 10:24 AM, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Op woensdag 28 maart 2018 15:46:26 CEST schreef Christoph R:
>> Hi,
>>
>> since 2.7.8 is deemed a release candidate I am giving it a try on MacOS High
>> Sierra.
>>
>> here is my feedback so far:
>
> Thanks for your feedback.
>
>> It choked on one of my files, which worked fine with 2.6 and was probably
>> created with 2.4 or even earlier.  There was an out-of range date in the
>> price database which I corrected manually. But normal users would have been
>> lost.
> What was the date set to before you corrected it ? And how does it display in
> gnucash 2.6 if you look at that particular price in the Price editor ?
>
>> adding “EXTRA_ARGS=--nofile” to Library/Application\
>> Support/Gnucash/gnucashrc does not have any effect any more.
>
> I never heard of a gnucashrc file. Perhaps that is/was an OS X/Quarz specific
> extension ? The loading code on OS X has been aligned with Windows and Linux
> in this development cycle, so perhaps it got lost in that work.
>
>> Normal
>> accounting with aqbanking and trading accounts seems to work fine. My
>> reports are fine.
>
> Nice :)
>
>> Finally I can change unreconciled splits in a transaction
>> with reconciled splits again.
>
> Yay!
>
>> Changing account or value of a reconciled
>> split gives me the correct warning as needed. Yeah! But I can change the
>> description of a reconciled split without a warning.
>
> Hmm, a split doesn't have a description, only a memo. Do you mean you get no
> warning when changing the memo ? Or do you mean you can change the transaction
> description of a transaction that has reconciled splits ?
>
>> I need to file a bug
>> report on that.
>
>> Fonts and icons are different - due to gtk3 - and not
>> necessarily to my liking. I had customised .gtkrc-2.0.gnucash a bit and of
>> course this does not work any more. Unfortunately I did not figure out how
>> to customise gtk3 on MacOS. Any help would be appreciated
>
> I have updated the relevant FAQ entry:
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_change_the_register_colors.3F
>

>> Besides the nitpicks above it looks pretty good. Thanks for all the good
>> work!
>
> Thanks! I'm happy the overall result is satisfactory as the gtk update was
> unplanned and pretty late in the development cycle.
>
> Geert

Re: Feedback about 2.7.8

Adrien Monteleone
Christop,

A general guide to CSS(in the context of web pages) is available here:

https://www.w3schools.com/css/

A more specific guide with respect to CSS usage in GTK3 is here:

https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/chap-css-overview.html

> On Mar 28, 2018, at 2:20 PM, Christoph R <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Geert,
>
>> Am 28.03.2018 um 17:24 schrieb Geert Janssens <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Op woensdag 28 maart 2018 15:46:26 CEST schreef Christoph R:
>>
>>> It choked on one of my files, which worked fine with 2.6 and was probably
>>> created with 2.4 or even earlier.  There was an out-of range date in the
>>> price database which I corrected manually. But normal users would have been
>>> lost.
>> What was the date set to before you corrected it ? And how does it display in
>> gnucash 2.6 if you look at that particular price in the Price editor ?
>
> Date was <ts:date>1301-09-13 00:05:08 +0053</ts:date>
> and it shows up absolutely correct as 13.9.1301 :-)
>

>>> adding “EXTRA_ARGS=--nofile” to Library/Application\
>>> Support/Gnucash/gnucashrc does not have any effect any more.
>>
>> I never heard of a gnucashrc file. Perhaps that is/was an OS X/Quarz specific
>> extension ? The loading code on OS X has been aligned with Windows and Linux
>> in this development cycle, so perhaps it got lost in that work.
>
> Yes it was parsed by the MacOS launcher script, which apparently is gone now.
>
>>> Changing account or value of a reconciled
>>> split gives me the correct warning as needed. Yeah! But I can change the
>>> description of a reconciled split without a warning.
>>
>> Hmm, a split doesn't have a description, only a memo. Do you mean you get no
>> warning when changing the memo ? Or do you mean you can change the transaction
>> description of a transaction that has reconciled splits ?
>
> I get no warning when changing the memo. I get one when changing the transaction description.
>

>>> Fonts and icons are different - due to gtk3 - and not
>>> necessarily to my liking. I had customised .gtkrc-2.0.gnucash a bit and of
>>> course this does not work any more. Unfortunately I did not figure out how
>>> to customise gtk3 on MacOS. Any help would be appreciated
>>
>> I have updated the relevant FAQ entry:
>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_change_the_register_colors.3F
>
> Wow, this CSS stuff is cryptic. Can you enlighten me how to set font and font size?
>
> Cheers,
> Christoph

Re: Feedback about 2.7.8

Robert Fewell-2
I do not think that is the right file to link to, I would of thought this
one was the correct one...
https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/unstable/doc/gtk-3.0.css

Bob

On 28 March 2018 at 21:13, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Christop,
>
> A general guide to CSS(in the context of web pages) is available here:
>
> https://www.w3schools.com/css/
>
> A more specific guide with respect to CSS usage in GTK3 is here:
>
> https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/chap-css-overview.html
>

> Regards,
> Adrien

> net> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Geert,
> >
> >> Am 28.03.2018 um 17:24 schrieb Geert Janssens <
> [hidden email]>:

> probably
> the
> been
> >> What was the date set to before you corrected it ? And how does it
> display in
> >> gnucash 2.6 if you look at that particular price in the Price editor ?
> >
> > Date was <ts:date>1301-09-13 00:05:08 +0053</ts:date>
> > and it shows up absolutely correct as 13.9.1301 :-)

> >> I never heard of a gnucashrc file. Perhaps that is/was an OS X/Quarz
> specific
> >> extension ? The loading code on OS X has been aligned with Windows and
> Linux
> >> in this development cycle, so perhaps it got lost in that work.
> >
> > Yes it was parsed by the MacOS launcher script, which apparently is gone
> now.

> the
> >>
> >> Hmm, a split doesn't have a description, only a memo. Do you mean you
> get no
> >> warning when changing the memo ? Or do you mean you can change the
> transaction
> >> description of a transaction that has reconciled splits ?
> >
> > I get no warning when changing the memo. I get one when changing the
> transaction description.

> and of
> how
> >>
> >> I have updated the relevant FAQ entry:
> >> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_change_the_
> register_colors.3F
> >
> > Wow, this CSS stuff is cryptic. Can you enlighten me how to set font and
> font size?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Christoph

Re: Feedback about 2.7.8

David Carlson-4
Neither of those sample .css file addresses Adreien's question

" Is there a class/id list for the GnuCash UI so we can know what’s
available to style? Or are those listed in the sample file the only ones
available? (I’m also assuming other properties can be set, for example
font-size in addition to color, etc. or is this not possible?)
"

David C

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 4:04 PM, Robert Fewell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I do not think that is the right file to link to, I would of thought this
> one was the correct one...
> https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/unstable/doc/gtk-3.0.css
>
> Bob
>
> On 28 March 2018 at 21:13, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Christop,
> >
> > A general guide to CSS(in the context of web pages) is available here:
> >
> > https://www.w3schools.com/css/
> >
> > A more specific guide with respect to CSS usage in GTK3 is here:
> >
> > https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/chap-css-overview.html
> >

> > Regards,
> > Adrien

> > net> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Geert,

> > probably
> > the
> have
> > been
> > display in
> > >
> > > Date was <ts:date>1301-09-13 00:05:08 +0053</ts:date>
> > > and it shows up absolutely correct as 13.9.1301 :-)

> > specific
> > Linux
> > >
> > > Yes it was parsed by the MacOS launcher script, which apparently is
> gone
> > now.

> > the

> > get no
> > transaction
> > >
> > > I get no warning when changing the memo. I get one when changing the
> > transaction description.

> > and of
> out
> > how

> > register_colors.3F
> > >
> > > Wow, this CSS stuff is cryptic. Can you enlighten me how to set font
> and
> > font size?
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Christoph

Re: Feedback about 2.7.8

Geert Janssens-4
Op donderdag 29 maart 2018 00:53:34 CEST schreef David Carlson:
> Neither of those sample .css file addresses Adreien's question
>
> " Is there a class/id list for the GnuCash UI so we can know what’s
> available to style? Or are those listed in the sample file the only ones
> available? (I’m also assuming other properties can be set, for example
> font-size in addition to color, etc. or is this not possible?)
> "
>
> David C

There is not and it would be way too long to make a complete list. Every
single widget in the whole gui can be addressed in css, some via classes
others via widget hierarchies.

You can however use the GtkInspector tool [1] to discover the widget hierarchy
and write css rules based on that. You can even interactively experiment with
it. Note this is an advanced gtk feature so the learning curve may be fairly
high.

Geert

[1] https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GTK%2B/Inspector

Re: Feedback about 2.7.8

Op woensdag 28 maart 2018 23:04:33 CEST schreef Robert Fewell:
> I do not think that is the right file to link to, I would of thought this
> one was the correct one...
> https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/unstable/doc/gtk-3.0.css

Ah, yes. Thanks. I have fixed the FAQ entry.

Re: Feedback about 2.7.8

Op woensdag 28 maart 2018 22:06:38 CEST schreef Adrien Monteleone:

> Geert,
>
> I just noticed in the sample file linked in the FAQ that the following rules
> are repeated at the top and bottom of the file:
>

> /* Change font color by mixing with grey */
> .lighter-grey-mix {
> color: mix (currentColor, grey, 0.8);
> }
> .darker-grey-mix {
> color: mix (currentColor, grey, 0.2);
> }
>
> If someone didn’t see the bottom rules and only changed the top versions,
> they wouldn’t see any change in the interface.

Thanks for pointing that out. I have committed a fix.

Re: Feedback about 2.7.8

cicko
A few questions/suggestions:

- captcha
Captcha on wiki reports that the v1 is to be deprecated soon.

- gtk3 page.
I've created a Wiki entry for GTK3 with the main idea being sharing tips about customization - https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GTK3. This is also related to the issue https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=791823. Having a sample of a customizes CSS file would be a valid workaround. My main goal is to get the adawaita dark theme on Windows machine.
Let's add any tips, findings, including links to valid .css theme configurations (which could be elsewhere, i.e. gist; there are also whole sites dedicated to gtk3 themes so I'm gonna try to copy adawaita dark css directly).

- list of ids
David is correct, pointing to the important question raised by Adrien. However, I'd think that the sample GnuCash css files would answer that, at least partly. I'll write down my findings into the wiki page as I'm darkening the UI.

- variables
And, related to the above, I'm wondering why are there @ variables in the GnuCash css files. Is this .scss or are they replaced elsewhere? I've seen [this](https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/Using_CSS_variables) even though I've never used it.

To answer a part of Adrien's question - see the gtk overview (https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/chap-css-overview.html), the first code entry, example 7. It sets the font to Comic Sans and paints it pink.
I've created the gtk-3.0.css file in C:\Users\siljak\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash, added the example 7:

button, entry {
  color: #ff00ea;
  font: 12px "Comic Sans";
}

and the entries in the account list header and footer became pink. The font setting did not work but at least there are some signs of life! :)

Cheers

> Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 12:53 AM
> From: "David Carlson" <[hidden email]>
> To: "Robert Fewell" <[hidden email]>
> Cc: "GNUCASH devel" <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: Feedback about 2.7.8
>
> Neither of those sample .css file addresses Adreien's question
>
> " Is there a class/id list for the GnuCash UI so we can know what’s
> available to style? Or are those listed in the sample file the only ones
> available? (I’m also assuming other properties can be set, for example
> font-size in addition to color, etc. or is this not possible?)
> "

Re: Feedback about 2.7.8

cicko
Soon as in the day after tomorrow!
(just read the warning message again)

Op donderdag 29 maart 2018 10:00:25 CEST schreef Alen Siljak:
> A few questions/suggestions:
>
> - captcha
> Captcha on wiki reports that the v1 is to be deprecated soon.

Where do you get this ? I don't see this when logging in to our wiki or
editing pages. Perhaps because I'm a developer ?

> - gtk3 page.
> I've created a Wiki entry for GTK3 with the main idea being sharing tips
> about customization - https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GTK3. This is also
> related to the issue https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=791823.
> Having a sample of a customizes CSS file would be a valid workaround. My
> main goal is to get the adawaita dark theme on Windows machine. Let's add
> any tips, findings, including links to valid .css theme configurations
> (which could be elsewhere, i.e. gist; there are also whole sites dedicated
> to gtk3 themes so I'm gonna try to copy adawaita dark css directly).

As Bob pointed out the proper example is
https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/master/doc/gtk-3.0.css
You can optionally point to the others for more details, though they are
probably more low-level than the average user would need.

> - list of ids
> David is correct, pointing to the important question raised by Adrien.
> However, I'd think that the sample GnuCash css files would answer that, at
> least partly. I'll write down my findings into the wiki page as I'm
> darkening the UI.
>
> - variables
> And, related to the above, I'm wondering why are there @ variables in the
> GnuCash css files. Is this .scss or are they replaced elsewhere? I've seen
> [this](https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/Using_CSS_variables
> ) even though I've never used it.

These are explained in https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/chap-css-overview.html under the color section. We mainly use them to
1. retrieve the default system colors (defined in the selected gtk theme)
2. to create inverse colors and support colors relative to the base colors.

> Op donderdag 29 maart 2018 10:00:25 CEST schreef Alen Siljak:
> > A few questions/suggestions:
> >
> > - captcha
> > Captcha on wiki reports that the v1 is to be deprecated soon.
>
> Where do you get this ? I don't see this when logging in to our wiki or
> editing pages. Perhaps because I'm a developer ?

I think the captcha only appears when adding new external links.
It is being deprecated on 31st of March!

Thanks for the other suggestions. I'll add them to the wiki page.

Re: Feedback about 2.7.8

cicko
The recommended link for upgrade info:

g.co/recaptcha/upgrade

> > > - captcha
> > > Captcha on wiki reports that the v1 is to be deprecated soon.
> >
> > Where do you get this ? I don't see this when logging in to our wiki or
> > editing pages. Perhaps because I'm a developer ?

Re: Feedback about 2.7.8

Adrien Monteleone
Thank you Geert,

That’s even better than just a list.