Falure to open gnucash

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Falure to open gnucash

Jerome Kremen
Dear Members
I tried to access my gnucash accounts yesterday and got the cryptic error message gnucash failed to open because of a problem.
I am using the Mac operating system which I recently upgraded to High Sierra 10.13.2.  Can that be the cause of my failure to open Gnucash?
I then downloaded the latest version of gnucash but did not install it because I didn’t know whether the new installation would wipe out my company books.
Is it safe to install a new version?  Will it preserve my accounts?
Your help would be much appreciated.  Since I am not sure how to navigate the mailing lists and would not know where to find a reply, please reply to [hidden email].
Best wishes,
Jerry kremen
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Falure to open gnucash

Derek Atkins
Hi,

Jerome Kremen <[hidden email]> writes:

> Dear Members
> I tried to access my gnucash accounts yesterday and got the cryptic
> error message gnucash failed to open because of a problem.
> I am using the Mac operating system which I recently upgraded to High
> Sierra 10.13.2.  Can that be the cause of my failure to open Gnucash?
> I then downloaded the latest version of gnucash but did not install it
> because I didn’t know whether the new installation would wipe out my
> company books.

What version of GnuCash?  You need at least 2.6.18 for High Sierra.

> Is it safe to install a new version?

Yes.

>    Will it preserve my accounts?

Yes.

> Your help would be much appreciated.  Since I am not sure how to
> navigate the mailing lists and would not know where to find a reply,
> please reply to [hidden email].
> Best wishes,
> Jerry kremen

> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

-derek
--
       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
       URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/    PP-ASEL-IA     N1NWH
       [hidden email]                        PGP key available
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Falure to open gnucash

Derek Atkins
Hi,

First, please CC the list on all replies..

Jerome Kremen <[hidden email]> writes:

> Thank you Mr. Atkins.
>
> I thought the user list overlord had irrevocably cancelled my hope of ever
> getting an answer from Gnucash users when he turned down my question nearly a
> month ago.  It's a mystery to me how the user list works and why I never get
> an answer to my applications to join a users list or to my questions.  I've
> been through this process a number of times since I started using Gnucash
> about 18 months ago and always end up with the same rejection or no answer at
> all.

There is no "application to join" the list.  You just need to
subscribe.  The only "application to join" is to the WIKI, and an
account there is only required to make changes to the wiki.  So yes,
those accounts are moderated and most are turned down.  However list
membership is 100% self-service at https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo

I don't know what question was "turned down" a month ago.  It's possible
that the list moderator made a mistake and thought it was spam (she's
only human and does sometimes, albeit rarely, make a mistake).

> So I am really thankful for your answer.

Always here to help.  ;)

> Best Wishes,
>
> Jerry Kremen

-derek

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> From: Derek Atkins <[hidden email]>
> To: Jerome Kremen <[hidden email]>
> Cc: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
> Sent: Wednesday, January 3, 2018 12:34 PM
> Subject: Re: Falure to open gnucash
>
> Hi,
>
> Jerome Kremen <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Dear Members
>> I tried to access my gnucash accounts yesterday and got the cryptic
>> error message gnucash failed to open because of a problem.
>> I am using the Mac operating system which I recently upgraded to High
>> Sierra 10.13.2.  Can that be the cause of my failure to open Gnucash?
>> I then downloaded the latest version of gnucash but did not install it
>> because I didn’t know whether the new installation would wipe out my
>> company books.
>
> What version of GnuCash?  You need at least 2.6.18 for High Sierra.
>
>> Is it safe to install a new version?
>
> Yes.
>
>>   Will it preserve my accounts?
>
> Yes.
>
>> Your help would be much appreciated.  Since I am not sure how to
>> navigate the mailing lists and would not know where to find a reply,
>> please reply to [hidden email].
>> Best wishes,
>> Jerry kremen
>
>> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>
> -derek
> --
>       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
>       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
>       URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/   PP-ASEL-IA    N1NWH
>       [hidden email]                        PGP key available
>

--
       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
       URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/    PP-ASEL-IA     N1NWH
       [hidden email]                        PGP key available
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.