Extended notes about a transaction

Greg Novak-2
It's becoming clear to me that I'd like a way to associate extended
information to a transaction in Gnucash.  This could be as simple as a
little icon on each ledger line that, when clicked, brings up a little
text field where one can type a bit of information.  Hit "ok", and
then the next time you click the icon you'll see what you previously
typed.  It's also easy to see how this could be used to attach
extended information to specific accounts, or to the whole set of
accounts.

Info attached to transactions could be used to notate things like "Joe
owed me $30 and I owed him $20, so this $10 settles our debt."  Info
attached to accounts could be used for things like: "When the big
deposit clears, remember to transfer part of it to some other
account."  And info attached to the entire tree of accounts could be
for things like "In June, I spent too much on widgets.  Make sure that
doesn't happen in July."

It seems likely that someone has already thought of this, but perusing
the menus didn't reveal anything to serve this purpose.  So that's the
question: does this already exist?  If not... would someone care to
point me in the right direction as far as implementing it?  (no
promises, but if it's not too hard I might be willing.)

Thanks,
Greg

Re: Extended notes about a transaction

Andrew Sackville-West
well, at the transaction level there is the "memo" field. and you can
have a memo for each split as well as the whole transaction...

the others don't exist so far as I know.

Gregory Novak wrote:

> It's becoming clear to me that I'd like a way to associate extended
> information to a transaction in Gnucash.  This could be as simple as a
> little icon on each ledger line that, when clicked, brings up a little
> text field where one can type a bit of information.  Hit "ok", and
> then the next time you click the icon you'll see what you previously
> typed.  It's also easy to see how this could be used to attach
> extended information to specific accounts, or to the whole set of
> accounts.
>
> Info attached to transactions could be used to notate things like "Joe
> owed me $30 and I owed him $20, so this $10 settles our debt."  Info
> attached to accounts could be used for things like: "When the big
> deposit clears, remember to transfer part of it to some other
> account."  And info attached to the entire tree of accounts could be
> for things like "In June, I spent too much on widgets.  Make sure that
> doesn't happen in July."
>
> It seems likely that someone has already thought of this, but perusing
> the menus didn't reveal anything to serve this purpose.  So that's the
> question: does this already exist?  If not... would someone care to
> point me in the right direction as far as implementing it?  (no
> promises, but if it's not too hard I might be willing.)
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

Re: Extended notes about a transaction

Derek Atkins
There is a Notes field (tied to the transaction, not to each Split) but it's
only visible when you select "double-line mode" in the register.  Note that
/this/ notes field is what gets printed on a check.

-derek

Derek Atkins wrote:

> /this/ notes field is what gets printed on a check.

revelation! Thanks man!

> Quoting Andrew Sackville-West <[hidden email]>:
>
>> well, at the transaction level there is the "memo" field. and you can
>> have a memo for each split as well as the whole transaction...
>>
>> the others don't exist so far as I know.

>> Gregory Novak wrote:
>>
>>> It's becoming clear to me that I'd like a way to associate extended
>>> information to a transaction in Gnucash.  This could be as simple as a
>>> little icon on each ledger line that, when clicked, brings up a little
>>> text field where one can type a bit of information.  Hit "ok", and
>>> then the next time you click the icon you'll see what you previously
>>> typed.  It's also easy to see how this could be used to attach
>>> extended information to specific accounts, or to the whole set of
>>> accounts.  Info attached to transactions could be used to notate
>>> things like "Joe
>>> owed me $30 and I owed him $20, so this $10 settles our debt."  Info
>>> attached to accounts could be used for things like: "When the big
>>> deposit clears, remember to transfer part of it to some other
>>> account."  And info attached to the entire tree of accounts could be
>>> for things like "In June, I spent too much on widgets.  Make sure that
>>> doesn't happen in July."
>>>
>>> It seems likely that someone has already thought of this, but perusing
>>> the menus didn't reveal anything to serve this purpose.  So that's the
>>> question: does this already exist?  If not... would someone care to
>>> point me in the right direction as far as implementing it?  (no
>>> promises, but if it's not too hard I might be willing.)
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Greg