Export-Import

Maurice O'Connor
I've being to import a QIF file to Gnucash.  The file is an export from
Kmymoney.  So far no luck.  Gnucash loads the QIF file, goes through the
catagory to account information and goes the "Importing Transactions"
screen.  Everything looks good.  About halfway through the "Finding
Duplicate Transactions" screen Gnucash crashes.
I am by no means a guru, and am at a loss as to where to look or what
causes the condition.  What am I doing wrong?

--
Bill

Re: Export-Import

Derek Atkins
Quoting Maurice O'Connor <[hidden email]>:

> I've being to import a QIF file to Gnucash.  The file is an export from
> Kmymoney.  So far no luck.  Gnucash loads the QIF file, goes through the
> catagory to account information and goes the "Importing Transactions"
> screen.  Everything looks good.  About halfway through the "Finding
> Duplicate Transactions" screen Gnucash crashes.
> I am by no means a guru, and am at a loss as to where to look or what
> causes the condition.  What am I doing wrong?

It's a good question.  I've got more for you:
What version of GnuCash?
How does it crash?
Where does it crash?
What's printed on the terminal?
Is there anything printed in /tmp/gnucash.trace?
Can you get a stack trace?  (see the FAQ:  http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ )

> Bill

Re: Export-Import

Maurice O'Connor
Thank you for the prompt reply.  I will attempt to anwser your
questions.

> > I've being to import a QIF file to Gnucash.  The file is an export from
> > Kmymoney.  So far no luck.  Gnucash loads the QIF file, goes through the
> > catagory to account information and goes the "Importing Transactions"
> > screen.  Everything looks good.  About halfway through the "Finding
> > Duplicate Transactions" screen Gnucash crashes.
> > I am by no means a guru, and am at a loss as to where to look or what
> > causes the condition.  What am I doing wrong?
>
> It's a good question.  I've got more for you:
> What version of GnuCash?
Version 1.8.11
> How does it crash?
The program just disappears.
> Where does it crash?
About half-way through the "Importing Transactions" screen.
> What's printed on the terminal?
Nothing, all windows associated with Gnucash are gone.
> Is there anything printed in /tmp/gnucash.trace?
No.  /tmp/gnucash.trace does exist.
> Can you get a stack trace?  (see the FAQ:  http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ )
I don't know how to get a stack trace.  I will look at  and study the
wiki you suggested.

--
Cheers
Bill

Re: Export-Import

Derek Atkins
Quoting Maurice O'Connor <[hidden email]>:

>> It's a good question.  I've got more for you:
>> What version of GnuCash?
> Version 1.8.11

2.0.1 is current.  No more development is happening on 1.8.

>> How does it crash?
> The program just disappears.
>> Where does it crash?
> About half-way through the "Importing Transactions" screen.
>> What's printed on the terminal?
> Nothing, all windows associated with Gnucash are gone.

Eh?  There's no way that gnucash could cause your gnome-terminal or
xterm to go away.  You ARE starting gnucash from the command-line,
RIGHT?

>> Is there anything printed in /tmp/gnucash.trace?
> No.  /tmp/gnucash.trace does exist.

Yeah, that's a 2.0ism.