Duplicate Accounts created when using QIF Import

Duplicate Accounts created when using QIF Import

swingkyd1
I am using the QIF Import utility and coming up with some rather strange
behaviour.
1) I load the import function and select my qif file. It asks for an
account name. I select "Forward".
2) I don't load any other files (just testing here)
3) "Match QIF accounts with GnuCash accounts": I select my account
manually: Current Assets: Current Assets Carl: PCF Vacation
4) Match QIF categories with GnuCash accounts; there is nothing here to
select. so I go "Forward"
5) Match payees/ memos to GnuCash accounts: Here I select
   Income:Interest Income Carl: Savings
    for the "INTEREST" memo. and
   Assets: Current Assets Carl: PCF Chequing
     for the "TRANSFER IN" memo.
   I hit "Forward" and "Apply"

and here is where things get all messed up.
Now I have a bunch of new accounts created:
  -> Current Assets: Current Assets Carl:PCF Chequing 2 - with a
-> Current Assets: Current Assets Carl:PCF Vacation 2 - with a
-> Income: Carl's Income:Interest Income Carl: Savings Interest 2 - with
a description QIF Import: Name conflict with another account.

So am I doing something wrong here or is this just a bug?
Thanks for your help!
Regards,
Carl

Re: Duplicate Accounts created when using QIF Import

Derek Atkins
Generally this duplication happens if:

1) your currencies dont match, or
2) the account types dont match.

For example, if the QIF thinks the account is an Income account
and you try to make it an Asset account, it'll create a second
tree.  Take a look at the two trees and compare the account types
and the currencies..

-derek

Carl Moller <[hidden email]> writes:

> I am using the QIF Import utility and coming up with some rather strange
> behaviour.
> 1) I load the import function and select my qif file. It asks for an
> account name. I select "Forward".
> 2) I don't load any other files (just testing here)
> 3) "Match QIF accounts with GnuCash accounts": I select my account
> manually: Current Assets: Current Assets Carl: PCF Vacation
> 4) Match QIF categories with GnuCash accounts; there is nothing here to
> select. so I go "Forward"
> 5) Match payees/ memos to GnuCash accounts: Here I select
>    Income:Interest Income Carl: Savings
>     for the "INTEREST" memo. and
>    Assets: Current Assets Carl: PCF Chequing
>      for the "TRANSFER IN" memo.
>    I hit "Forward" and "Apply"
>
> and here is where things get all messed up.
> Now I have a bunch of new accounts created:
>   -> Current Assets: Current Assets Carl:PCF Chequing 2 - with a
> -> Current Assets: Current Assets Carl:PCF Vacation 2 - with a
> -> Income: Carl's Income:Interest Income Carl: Savings Interest 2 - with
> a description QIF Import: Name conflict with another account.
>
> So am I doing something wrong here or is this just a bug?
> Thanks for your help!
> Regards,
> Carl

Re: Duplicate Accounts created when using QIF Import

swingkyd1
Thanks for your reply.

1) currencies are set to "default" and the default is CAD
2) the entry gets duplicated exactly on the same tree, just with the
last name with a 2 appended.
For example:
^
D02/16/2005
T-1200.00
MCHEQUE CLEARING - DEBIT;
^
is mapped to:
  "Assets:Current Assets:Current Assets Carl: PCF Savings" in the
screen where it asks to map the memo to the account.

Then, the following duplicate account gets created instead of going into
the correct one:
  "Assets:Current Assets:Current Assets Carl: PCF Savings 2" again,
with the generic QIF import error.

Any ideas?
Thanks.
Carl
PS Can you help me to post this back to the group?

Derek Atkins wrote:

> Generally this duplication happens if:
>
> 1) your currencies dont match, or
> 2) the account types dont match.
>
> For example, if the QIF thinks the account is an Income account
> and you try to make it an Asset account, it'll create a second
> tree.  Take a look at the two trees and compare the account types
> and the currencies..
>
> -derek
>
> Carl Moller <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> I am using the QIF Import utility and coming up with some rather strange
>> behaviour.
>> 1) I load the import function and select my qif file. It asks for an
>> account name. I select "Forward".
>> 2) I don't load any other files (just testing here)
>> 3) "Match QIF accounts with GnuCash accounts": I select my account
>> manually: Current Assets: Current Assets Carl: PCF Vacation
>> 4) Match QIF categories with GnuCash accounts; there is nothing here to
>> select. so I go "Forward"
>> 5) Match payees/ memos to GnuCash accounts: Here I select
>>    Income:Interest Income Carl: Savings
>>     for the "INTEREST" memo. and
>>    Assets: Current Assets Carl: PCF Chequing
>>      for the "TRANSFER IN" memo.
>>    I hit "Forward" and "Apply"
>>
>> and here is where things get all messed up.
>> Now I have a bunch of new accounts created:
>>   -> Current Assets: Current Assets Carl:PCF Chequing 2 - with a
>> -> Current Assets: Current Assets Carl:PCF Vacation 2 - with a
>> -> Income: Carl's Income:Interest Income Carl: Savings Interest 2 - with
>> a description QIF Import: Name conflict with another account.
>>
>> So am I doing something wrong here or is this just a bug?
>> Thanks for your help!
>> Regards,
>> Carl

Re: Duplicate Accounts created when using QIF Import

Derek Atkins
What are the "account types" of the paired accounts?

-derek