Quantcast

Due Bills & Since Last Run Windows hide behind main window

Due Bills & Since Last Run Windows hide behind main window

Adrien Monteleone
I’ve searched Bugzilla but don’t see this reported yet.

Any time I open GC, the Due Bills Reminder window opens but promptly hides behind the main window. I have to move the main window around (or use the Windows menu) to see it.

The same goes for the Since Last Run window for scheduled transactions.

Note, this is only on startup. If I pull these windows up manually, they are on the top of the window stack.

Is there a way to get these to open as tabs instead of separate windows? (perhaps a feature request)

Re: Due Bills & Since Last Run Windows hide behind main window

John Ralls

> On May 9, 2017, at 8:07 PM, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’ve searched Bugzilla but don’t see this reported yet.
>
> Any time I open GC, the Due Bills Reminder window opens but promptly hides behind the main window. I have to move the main window around (or use the Windows menu) to see it.
>
> The same goes for the Since Last Run window for scheduled transactions.
>
> Note, this is only on startup. If I pull these windows up manually, they are on the top of the window stack.
>
> Is there a way to get these to open as tabs instead of separate windows? (perhaps a feature request)

Are you on a mac?

Yeah, it could be done as a feature request, but we'd need someone to step up and write the code. Geert and I have overflowing plates as it is.

Re: Due Bills & Since Last Run Windows hide behind main window

Adrien Monteleone
Yes, I’m using El Capitan (10.11.6). Sorry I didn’t include that earlier.

Here’s some hardware specs if needed:
Mac mini (Late 2014)
2.8Ghz Intel Core i5
16GB DDR3 (1600Mhz)
Intel Iris 1536MB graphics

As for the tabs, that’s not a big deal if the windows behave otherwise. Even then, it’s a trivial annoyance really.

I’d like to get involved with the project but am not too confident I can jump right in the deep end. I’ll check the wiki on where to get started.

> On May 9, 2017, at 9:00 PM, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On May 9, 2017, at 8:07 PM, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I’ve searched Bugzilla but don’t see this reported yet.
>>
>> Any time I open GC, the Due Bills Reminder window opens but promptly hides behind the main window. I have to move the main window around (or use the Windows menu) to see it.
>>
>> The same goes for the Since Last Run window for scheduled transactions.
>>
>> Note, this is only on startup. If I pull these windows up manually, they are on the top of the window stack.
>>
>> Is there a way to get these to open as tabs instead of separate windows? (perhaps a feature request)
>
> Are you on a mac?
>
> Yeah, it could be done as a feature request, but we'd need someone to step up and write the code. Geert and I have overflowing plates as it is.

Re: Due Bills & Since Last Run Windows hide behind main window

John Ralls

> On May 10, 2017, at 12:48 AM, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes, I’m using El Capitan (10.11.6). Sorry I didn’t include that earlier.
>
> Here’s some hardware specs if needed:
> Mac mini (Late 2014)
> 2.8Ghz Intel Core i5
> 16GB DDR3 (1600Mhz)
> Intel Iris 1536MB graphics
>
> As for the tabs, that’s not a big deal if the windows behave otherwise. Even then, it’s a trivial annoyance really.
>
> I’d like to get involved with the project but am not too confident I can jump right in the deep end. I’ll check the wiki on where to get started.

Adrien,

The details about your mac aren't important. There's a problem with Gtk on macs that the window stacking models are very different and Gtk can't control how pop-ups are stacked. It works out OK most of the time, but at startup when the dialogs get fired before the main window is realized the main window can get drawn on top of the dialogs.
If we use the Apple stacking levels we wind up with dialogs that behave like the Apple Help window: Always on top, even when GnuCash doesn't have focus. (Cocoa applications' dialog boxes automatically disappear when focus is switched but Gtk's don't.)

You've done a great job in the shallow end helping users. Thanks for that. Please start a thread in gnucash-devel about getting involved and we'll work on helping you bootstrap there.

Re: Due Bills & Since Last Run Windows hide behind main window

Adrien Monteleone
I figured it was a Gtk on Mac thing since it works just fine in Ubuntu.

I’ll pop into gnucash-devel soon. Thanks!