Debugging css in the html rendering engine

Debugging css in the html rendering engine

Macho Philipovich-2
Hi again,

Unrelated invoice issue: what engine does Gnucash use to render html,
and is there any way to debug it with an "inspect element"-like tool?

I'm having trouble getting the css to do what I want, and yet when I
"Export HTML-formatted report to file" and open it in Firefox, my
invoice renders just fine, the way I intended! (Exporting every invoice
is not an option, for a few reasons.)

Is there some browser that I could install that shares the rendering
engine with Gnucash and that provides any debug tools?

In case the context is somehow significant, I've been building my own
css and scm files to use with the tax invoice report and they look
great, with one small exception: there's a small bit that's not
rendering as intended.

Thanks, as always!

Macho

Re: Debugging css in the html rendering engine

John Ralls

> On Aug 6, 2017, at 12:15 AM, Macho Philipovich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi again,
>
> Unrelated invoice issue: what engine does Gnucash use to render html,
> and is there any way to debug it with an "inspect element"-like tool?
>
> I'm having trouble getting the css to do what I want, and yet when I
> "Export HTML-formatted report to file" and open it in Firefox, my
> invoice renders just fine, the way I intended! (Exporting every invoice
> is not an option, for a few reasons.)
>
> Is there some browser that I could install that shares the rendering
> engine with Gnucash and that provides any debug tools?
>
> In case the context is somehow significant, I've been building my own
> css and scm files to use with the tax invoice report and they look
> great, with one small exception: there's a small bit that's not
> rendering as intended.
>
> Thanks, as always!

GnuCash uses WebkitGtk to render and display. The current release uses the old webkit1 API, which means nothing newer that WebKitGtk-2.4, though the Windows and Mac app bundles use older versions because of build issues. It's likely that it doesn't support CSS3.

Since we're simply creating a WebKitWebView and sticking it in a GtkNotebook there's no way to access any of the inspection tools that a full-on browser supplies without coding them in to src/html.