Debit order payments

Neil Jackson
Hi,
I run a web design and hosting company. We charge a monthly hosting fee.
We use a debit order services to collect the monies from our customers.
The services takes a percentage and deposits the balance in our account.
How do I allocate this payment to multiple invoices over multiple accounts?

neil.vcf (202 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Debit order payments

Neil Jackson <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,
> I run a web design and hosting company. We charge a monthly hosting
> fee. We use a debit order services to collect the monies from our
> customers. The services takes a percentage and deposits the balance in
> our account. How do I allocate this payment to multiple invoices over
> multiple accounts?

Um, the only way I can think of doing it is via an intermediary
account.  There's no way to split a single payment transaction against
multiple customers, so you'll need to do individual payments
from A/R to some other holding account and then the debit transfer
to your checking.

I'm actually wondering if the Business features really are what you
need here??

Re: Debit order payments

Please remember to CC Gnucash-user on all replies using your
mailer's Reply-to-list or Reply-All features.

Neil Jackson <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,
> Thanks for the reply. If the business features aren't what I need, what do I
> need. I chose gnucash because I don't know any other, running on Linux.
> Previously this was done externally on windows machines

In your situation I would just use regular transactions.  The
auto-debit is, well, automatic.  So you only really need to keep
track of the exceptions.  Do you really NEED to send out an
actual Invoice every month?

The current A/R implementation really isn't designed for your
particular use case.  It's designed for a 1:1 mapping of incoming
payments to customers.  You have a single incoming "payment" for
a BUNCH of customers, which just isn't something the system is
designed the handle.

But you could still do it as a regular register-entered transaction.
You just lose the business features, but I'm not sure you really
need to keep track of that.  Is it even possible for a direct-debit
customer to miss a payment?

> Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     Neil Jackson <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>         Hi,
>         I run a web design and hosting company. We charge a monthly hosting
>         fee. We use a debit order services to collect the monies from our
>         customers. The services takes a percentage and deposits the balance in
>         our account. How do I allocate this payment to multiple invoices over
>         multiple accounts?
>
>     Um, the only way I can think of doing it is via an intermediary
>     account.  There's no way to split a single payment transaction against
>     multiple customers, so you'll need to do individual payments
>     >From A/R to some other holding account and then the debit transfer
>     to your checking.
>
>     I'm actually wondering if the Business features really are what you
>     need here??
>
>         Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>         You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Re: Debit order payments

PLEASE REMEMBER TO CC GNUCASH-USER ON ALL REPLIES USING
YOUR MAILER'S REPLY-TO-LIST OR REPLY-ALL FEATURES!!!

Now, having said that...

Neil Jackson <[hidden email]> writes:

>> The current A/R implementation really isn't designed for your
>> particular use case.  It's designed for a 1:1 mapping of incoming
>> payments to customers.  You have a single incoming "payment" for
>> a BUNCH of customers, which just isn't something the system is
>> designed the handle.
>>
>> But you could still do it as a regular register-entered transaction.
>> You just lose the business features, but I'm not sure you really
>> need to keep track of that.  Is it even possible for a direct-debit
>> customer to miss a payment?
>>
> Thanks again. It is possible for there to be insufficient funds in
> their account at the time of debiting. We then double debit the next
> month.

Unfortunately I just can't think of a good way to handle your use case
without writing more code to do it.  The GnuCash business features
just weren't designed for your use case I'm afraid.

You could do it all by hand by creating an account for each customer.
But you wont get the nice invoices or the business reporting at all.

Sorry,