Dealing with a large QIF file

Cliff McDiarmid
   Hi

   I'm importing a large QIF file(a current a/c)about 6000 entries.
   There are about a dozen other a/c's from Quicken, now closed,
   associated with this large file.   When importing, Gnucash seems to
   want to create these defunct a/c's to 'balance the books'.  I assume
   there isn't any way of avoiding this.   The whole thing looks like it
   will be horrendous.  I've imported some small credit card a/c's already
   with success, but they were not any of these other closed accounts.

   Any advice please.
   thanks

   Cliff

Re: Dealing with a large QIF file

Colin Law
You should be able to export one account at a time from Quicken, I
think. Then import them one at a time.

Colin

On 24 December 2017 at 19:02, Cliff McDiarmid <[hidden email]> wrote:

>    Hi
>
>    I'm importing a large QIF file(a current a/c)about 6000 entries.
>    There are about a dozen other a/c's from Quicken, now closed,
>    associated with this large file.   When importing, Gnucash seems to
>    want to create these defunct a/c's to 'balance the books'.  I assume
>    there isn't any way of avoiding this.   The whole thing looks like it
>    will be horrendous.  I've imported some small credit card a/c's already
>    with success, but they were not any of these other closed accounts.
>
>    Any advice please.
>    thanks
>
>    Cliff

Re: Dealing with a large QIF file

Cliff McDiarmid
   Thanks. Yes one can import one at a time but this cheque ac from
   Quicken is huge and has references to other card accounts as categories
   within it. These accounts don't exist anymore and gnucash is trying to
   create them as part of the import. This is something I'd like to avoid.
   Hope this makes sense. Cliff

     On 24 December 2017 at 19:02, Cliff McDiarmid wrote:
     > Hi
     >
     > I'm importing a large QIF file(a current a/c)about 6000 entries.
     > There are about a dozen other a/c's from Quicken, now closed,
     > associated with this large file. When importing, Gnucash seems to
     > want to create these defunct a/c's to 'balance the books'. I
     assume
     > there isn't any way of avoiding this. The whole thing looks like
     it
     > will be horrendous. I've imported some small credit card a/c's
     already
     > with success, but they were not any of these other closed
     accounts.

     > Any advice please.
     > thanks
     >
     > Cliff

Re: Dealing with a large QIF file

Lincoln A Baxter
On Mon, 2017-12-25 at 00:46 +0000, [hidden email] wrote:

>    Thanks. Yes one can import one at a time but this cheque ac from
>    Quicken is huge and has references to other card accounts as
> categories
>    within it. These accounts don't exist anymore and gnucash is
> trying to
>    create them as part of the import. This is something I'd like to
> avoid.
>    Hope this makes sense. Cliff

You might want to try editing the QIF file, and change all the
different categories referring legacy card accounts to one name.  Call
it "Legacy Card" or something like that.

In Quicken there was not enforcement of consistency of category
names... Quicken just said "ok" to what ever you put it.  It is pretty
loosy goosy.  But after you get things into GC, you can clean it up. I
was start, as a said, with the pre cleanup.  It is likely to make your
conversion easier.

Lincoln

Re: Dealing with a large QIF file

Gnucash creates the accounts because you and the transactions used those accounts. Personally, I prefer having all that "clutter," since it represents what happened. Accounting is supposed to track what happened, after all.

Two points: first, you can hide accounts in the Chart of Accounts, which would allow these accounts to exist without disturbing your daily accounting work. Second, you can delete accounts, if that really is your goal; when you delete an account with transactions in it, you get a chance to move them all to an account of your choosing. (I propose that this would be easier than editing the QIF, as another suggests).

Personally, I'd keep the transactions and hide the accounts.

David

On December 25, 2017, at 5:47 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

   Thanks. Yes one can import one at a time but this cheque ac from
   Quicken is huge and has references to other card accounts as categories
   within it. These accounts don't exist anymore and gnucash is trying to
   create them as part of the import. This is something I'd like to avoid.
   Hope this makes sense. Cliff

     You should be able to export one account at a time from Quicken, I
     think. Then import them one at a time.
     Colin
     On 24 December 2017 at 19:02, Cliff McDiarmid wrote:
     > Hi
     >
     > I'm importing a large QIF file(a current a/c)about 6000 entries.
     > There are about a dozen other a/c's from Quicken, now closed,
     > associated with this large file. When importing, Gnucash seems to
     > want to create these defunct a/c's to 'balance the books'. I
     assume
     > there isn't any way of avoiding this. The whole thing looks like
     it
     > will be horrendous. I've imported some small credit card a/c's
     already
     > with success, but they were not any of these other closed
     accounts.

     > Any advice please.
     > thanks
     >
     > Cliff

Re: Dealing with a large QIF file

David Carlson-4
I believe that the GnuCash QIF importer allows nearly arbitrary mapping
from the incoming account tree to the resulting account tree during the
import.

Thus I would suggest taking the time to diagram (in a spreadsheet, perhaps)
a desired path from the old tree to the new tree, defining certain new
accounts to collect transactions going to or from old obsolete accounts.
Thus the transactions will stay when they are needed to keep the books in
balance, but then they can be hidden or even deleted after the import is
complete if the sum of the deleted accounts containing those obsolete
transactions is zero.

Another way to look at it would be to call it a special case of "closing
the books" on the old account tree.

Each user has the ability to tailor his account tree to his specific needs
even if that is not the way other users would do it.

David C

   Sent: Monday, December 25, 2017 at 3:23 AM
   From: D <[hidden email]>
   To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>, "Colin Law"
   <[hidden email]>
   Cc: "Gnucash Users" <[hidden email]>
   >Gnucash creates the accounts because you and the transactions used
   those accounts. Personally, I prefer having all that "clutter," since
   it represents what happened. Accounting is supposed to >track what
   happened, after all.
   >Two points: first, you can hide accounts in the Chart of Accounts,
   which would allow these accounts to exist without disturbing your daily
   accounting work. Second, you can delete accounts, if >that really is
   your goal; when you delete an account with transactions in it, you get
   a chance to move them all to an account of your choosing. (I propose
   that this would be easier than editing >the QIF, as another suggests).
   >Personally, I'd keep the transactions and hide the accounts.
   >David
   >On December 25, 2017, at 5:47 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
   >Thanks. Yes one can import one at a time but this cheque ac from
   >Quicken is huge and has references to other card accounts as
   categories
   >within it. These accounts don't exist anymore and gnucash is trying to
   >create them as part of the import. This is something I'd like to
   avoid.
   >Hope this makes sense. Cliff
   You should be able to export one account at a time from Quicken, I
   think. Then import them one at a time.
   Colin
   On 24 December 2017 at 19:02, Cliff McDiarmid wrote:
   > Hi
   >
   > I'm importing a large QIF file(a current a/c)about 6000 entries.
   > There are about a dozen other a/c's from Quicken, now closed,
   > associated with this large file. When importing, Gnucash seems to
   > want to create these defunct a/c's to 'balance the books'. I
   assume
   > there isn't any way of avoiding this. The whole thing looks like
   it
   > will be horrendous. I've imported some small credit card a/c's
   already
   > with success, but they were not any of these other closed
   accounts.

   > Any advice please.
   > thanks
   >
   > Cliff
    Thanks to all for all the advice.  I'm seeing clearer now.  I will
   probably keep the accounts and hide them.

    One other thing, does anyone know, is it best to import all the
   accounts in one go?  I have about 32 of them, but only two have over
   6000 entries.

   Cliff

References

Re: Dealing with a large QIF file

David Carlson-4
To your last question I would suggest doing those two in small chunks
covering limited date intervals, perhaps a month at a time.

The reason I suggest that is because it is best to examine each transaction
individually when matching to existing, as it is too easy to lose track of
where you are at  in a large file.

David C

On Mon, Dec 25, 2017 at 5:53 AM, Cliff McDiarmid <[hidden email]>
>    >Gnucash creates the accounts because you and the transactions used
>    those accounts. Personally, I prefer having all that "clutter," since
>    it represents what happened. Accounting is supposed to >track what
>    happened, after all.
>    >Two points: first, you can hide accounts in the Chart of Accounts,
>    which would allow these accounts to exist without disturbing your daily
>    accounting work. Second, you can delete accounts, if >that really is
>    your goal; when you delete an account with transactions in it, you get
>    a chance to move them all to an account of your choosing. (I propose
>    that this would be easier than editing >the QIF, as another suggests).
>    >Personally, I'd keep the transactions and hide the accounts.
>    >David
>    >On December 25, 2017, at 5:47 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>    >Thanks. Yes one can import one at a time but this cheque ac from
>    >Quicken is huge and has references to other card accounts as
>    categories
>    >within it. These accounts don't exist anymore and gnucash is trying to
>    >create them as part of the import. This is something I'd like to
>    avoid.
>    >Hope this makes sense. Cliff

Greg Feneis

>     One other thing, does anyone know, is it best to import all the
>    accounts in one go?  I have about 32 of them, but only two have over
>    6000 entries.
>
>    Cliff
>
> References

​By starting out importing smaller amounts, you can checkpoint your
progress.  If you don't like how things are going, it's easy to some small
amount.  Sorry I just got back on the list.  This might have been covered
already.​

​Greg​
Liz

Re: Dealing with a large QIF file

Liz
On Mon, 25 Dec 2017 00:46:30 +0000
"[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>    Thanks. Yes one can import one at a time but this cheque ac from
>    Quicken is huge and has references to other card accounts as
> categories within it. These accounts don't exist anymore and gnucash
> is trying to create them as part of the import. This is something I'd
> like to avoid. Hope this makes sense. Cliff

Everything in Gnucash must reference (at least) one other account. You
would be well advised to follow Lincoln's advice to make a single
account to put the other half of these transactions.

Another option is not to go so far back in the past, and start from a
more recent date.

Liz

Re: Dealing with a large QIF file

Joe Harrington
This is also my plan. I'm working on a cross reference plan before I try
to import anything. I have a Quicken data file with complete
transactions for all bank accounts, credit cards, and loans since Jan 1
1990. I want to get it all into gnucash so I can archive the entire
quicken system, but still be able to research the entire period. I'm
setting up chart of account pre-import to include many banks and cards
with closed accounts. Probably 80% of the accounts in the file are
closed.

Joe

On 2017-12-24 20:23, D via gnucash-user wrote:

> Gnucash creates the accounts because you and the transactions used
> those accounts. Personally, I prefer having all that "clutter," since
> it represents what happened. Accounting is supposed to track what
> happened, after all.
>
> Two points: first, you can hide accounts in the Chart of Accounts,
> which would allow these accounts to exist without disturbing your
> daily accounting work. Second, you can delete accounts, if that really
> is your goal; when you delete an account with transactions in it, you
> get a chance to move them all to an account of your choosing. (I
> propose that this would be easier than editing the QIF, as another
> suggests).
>
> Personally, I'd keep the transactions and hide the accounts.
>
> David
>
> On December 25, 2017, at 5:47 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>    Thanks. Yes one can import one at a time but this cheque ac from
>    Quicken is huge and has references to other card accounts as
> categories
>    within it. These accounts don't exist anymore and gnucash is trying
>    create them as part of the import. This is something I'd like to
> avoid.
>    Hope this makes sense. Cliff

Jeffrey Black
On 12/24/2017 8:08 PM, Lincoln A Baxter wrote:

> On Mon, 2017-12-25 at 00:46 +0000, [hidden email] wrote:
>>     Thanks. Yes one can import one at a time but this cheque ac from
>>     Quicken is huge and has references to other card accounts as
>> categories
>>     within it. These accounts don't exist anymore and gnucash is
>> trying to
>>     create them as part of the import. This is something I'd like to
>> avoid.
>>     Hope this makes sense. Cliff

Cliff:

Don't worry about it, you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.  I
transferred all of my Quicken data, more than 20 years to Gnucash in one
shot.  I can not recall the link that told how to do it at the moment.
Export all your quicken data and let GnuCash import ALL of the data.
GnuCash will work it's "magic".

To make a long story short, do not worry about the closed accounts.  Let
GnuCash create them.  Make a top level account for each type of account,
IE. Closed credit cards.  Once done and you get a chance to correct all
the erroneous entries (read that as using a hidden "corrected balance
account") that Quicken allowed then just edit the accounts and change
them to children of master accounts, "Closed credit cards", "Unused
checking", etc.  Hide the master account of "unused" whatever.  In my
case I needed to remember transactions from closed accounts for warranty
and shall we say domestic problems for the entire 20+ years.  None of
which I wanted to see but; necessary for my financial "sayftey".

Then just create or use any accounts that you need.

Happy accounting days ahead...Enjoy and rejoice!

While GnuChash does no have all the "Fancy n Nancy, flashy ability" of
commercial programs it is a real accounting system.   I greatly wish I
had the ability to donate one USD to each and every developer.

--JEffrey Black M.B.A.

On 12/24/2017 8:08 PM, Lincoln A Baxter wrote:

> On Mon, 2017-12-25 at 00:46 +0000, [hidden email] wrote:
>>    Thanks. Yes one can import one at a time but this cheque ac from
>>    Quicken is huge and has references to other card accounts as
>> categories
>>    within it. These accounts don't exist anymore and gnucash is
>> trying to
>>    create them as part of the import. This is something I'd like to
>> avoid.
>>    Hope this makes sense. Cliff

Thanks Jeffery.  I have reached the point now where I'm doing as you suggest.  There are many alterations to make.

regards

Liz <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Mon, 25 Dec 2017 00:46:30 +0000
> "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>    Thanks. Yes one can import one at a time but this cheque ac from
>>    Quicken is huge and has references to other card accounts as
>> categories within it. These accounts don't exist anymore and gnucash
>> is trying to create them as part of the import. This is something I'd
>> like to avoid. Hope this makes sense. Cliff
>
> Everything in Gnucash must reference (at least) one other account. You
> would be well advised to follow Lincoln's advice to make a single
> account to put the other half of these transactions.

Or...  After you perform the import, re-hide the accounts.