Data not available after saving

Bugzilla from spelya@yahoo.ca
Since last Sunday, whenever I exit GnuCash and come back, my data file
cannot be accessed.  The following message appears in an untitled
message box:
"Can't parse the URL /home/myname/.gnucash/books/myfile."

Monitoring the data file, I noticed that if I either call File ->Save
(Ctrl-S) ou if I close GnuCash, the file I am trying to populate drops
from  16kb to about 500bites. The new file contains only general
information data.

    [Top]
    Book Guid=2e0235290548ed86d5fea676ffe5b52d
    Window Count=1

    [Window 1]
    Page Count=1
    First Page=1
    Page Order=1;
    Window Position=0;0;
    Window Geometry=1016;708;
    Window Maximized=true
    Toolbar Visible=true
    Summarybar Visible=true
    Statusbar Visible=true

    [Page 1]
    Page Type=GncPluginPageAccountTree
    Page Name=Accounts
    Account Types=-1
    Show Hidden=false
    Show Zero Total=true
    Selected Account=Actif
    Open Account 1=Actif
    Open Account 2=Actif:Placements
    Open Account 3=Actif:Placements:RER-Mconj
    Number of Open Accounts=3

I then have to go to an archive file .xac which contains all data for
the newly created accounts. If I try to rename the archive copy,
stripping the timestamp information, the new file also shrinks to about
500 bites.

Any indication as to what I or the program might have done wrong ?

Regards,
Serge

Re: Data not available after saving

Bugzilla from spelya@yahoo.ca
I forgot to mention that the problem occured when I was on GC 2.0.4.
Today I updated to GC 2.0.5, and the problem is still there.

Regards,
Serge

Quoting Spel <[hidden email]>:

> Since last Sunday, whenever I exit GnuCash and come back, my data file
> cannot be accessed.  The following message appears in an untitled
> message box:
> "Can't parse the URL /home/myname/.gnucash/books/myfile."
[snip]
> I then have to go to an archive file .xac which contains all data for
> the newly created accounts. If I try to rename the archive copy,
> stripping the timestamp information, the new file also shrinks to about
> 500 bites.
>
> Any indication as to what I or the program might have done wrong ?

You were careless and saved your datafile into a directory that
GnuCash controls.  GnuCash owns ~/.gnucash and you should not
put your datafile there.  What's happening is that GnuCash saves your
data file where you tell it, and then when you exit it saves the configuration
file...  But you unwisely chose a filename that happens to be exactly
what gnucash wants to use for your configuration.

Try saving your data file to a directory that YOU own and not one that
GnuCash feels that IT owns.  I recommend ~/GnuCash.

> Regards,
> Serge

Re: Data not available after saving

Josh Sled
On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 16:00 -0500, Spel wrote:
> Since last Sunday, whenever I exit GnuCash and come back, my data file
> cannot be accessed.  The following message appears in an untitled
> message box:
> "Can't parse the URL /home/myname/.gnucash/books/myfile."

~/.gnucash/ is GnuCash's directory to store application information.

In particular, ~/.gnucash/books/filename is used to save meta-data about
datafiles named "filename".  By using this meta-data file as your
datafile, gnucash writes the data out, then writes the meta-data,
trashing the original file.

Don't save anything in ~/.gnucash/.  Put it in ~/documents/finances/ or
something.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled;b=asynchronous.org;echo ${a}@${b}