Data Entry Oddities

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Data Entry Oddities

sunfish62
I've been migrating information into Gnucash 2.0.1, and I've noticed a few UI
oddities that I'd like to understand better.

First, it appears that pressing enter on a split line is different from tabbing
"off the end" (for want of a better term) of that same line. When I press
Enter, GC automatically enters an Imbalance-USD line item in the transaction,
whereas if I tab off the end, a blank line in the amount is created. What is
going on here, and why is there a difference?

Next, if I have to enter a transaction in the past in a register that has later
transactions, when I leave the main line of the transaction to put in the
splits, the transaction moves to its chronological place in the register. This
is remarkably annoying if you have more than one old transaction to enter, as
you have to repeatedly go back to the empty transaction at the end of the
register. Couldn't the move happen when the transaction is closed/left?

The third thing is a little hard to explain. I have been changing account
information in multiple split transactions (i.e. transactions with several
splits, such as paychecks). The easiest way to accomplish the change is to open
the register I am emptying and changing the line to the new account. When this
is done, the transaction "disappears" (into the new account)--as it should.
However, if Auto-Split View is on, GC attempts to go to the next line, which
creates odd results, since the transaction is no longer "there." If the next
transaction in the register has fewer split lines, it will skip that
transaction. If the next transaction has enough lines, then GC takes you to
linenum + 1. It would seem to me more logical to have the split line value
reset if the transaction is closed, so that the next transaction starts fresh
at line 1.

Finally, I have been burned several times by the fact that GC doesn't save on a
transaction-by-transaction basis. I am used to the many other database and
financial packages out there that store data record by record. Is there a way
to change GnuCash's save behavior to follow a transactional save model?

Thanks!

David

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com 
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Data Entry Oddities

Maf. King
On Monday 25 September 2006 20:46, David T. wrote:
> I've been migrating information into Gnucash 2.0.1, and I've noticed a few
> UI oddities that I'd like to understand better.
>
> First, it appears that pressing enter on a split line is different from
> tabbing "off the end" (for want of a better term) of that same line. When I
> press Enter, GC automatically enters an Imbalance-USD line item in the
> transaction, whereas if I tab off the end, a blank line in the amount is
> created. What is going on here, and why is there a difference?

Hi,

See Edit -> Preferences -> Register Tab

>
> Next, if I have to enter a transaction in the past in a register that has
> later transactions, when I leave the main line of the transaction to put in
> the splits, the transaction moves to its chronological place in the
> register. This is remarkably annoying if you have more than one old
> transaction to enter, as you have to repeatedly go back to the empty
> transaction at the end of the register. Couldn't the move happen when the
> transaction is closed/left?

Yeah, that bugs me too.  Although, it is behaviour I saw in 1.8.x (at least,
1.8.10, which is the last I tried)

>
> The third thing is a little hard to explain. I have been changing account
> information in multiple split transactions (i.e. transactions with several
> splits, such as paychecks). The easiest way to accomplish the change is to
> open the register I am emptying and changing the line to the new account.
> When this is done, the transaction "disappears" (into the new account)--as
> it should. However, if Auto-Split View is on, GC attempts to go to the next
> line, which creates odd results, since the transaction is no longer
> "there." If the next transaction in the register has fewer split lines, it
> will skip that transaction. If the next transaction has enough lines, then
> GC takes you to linenum + 1. It would seem to me more logical to have the
> split line value reset if the transaction is closed, so that the next
> transaction starts fresh at line 1.
>

Don't know about that one.

> Finally, I have been burned several times by the fact that GC doesn't save
> on a transaction-by-transaction basis. I am used to the many other database
> and financial packages out there that store data record by record. Is there
> a way to change GnuCash's save behavior to follow a transactional save
> model?
>

AFAIK, there is no option for auto-saving.  But GC creates a log file of
transactional changes, which is supposedly replayable (File -> Import ->
Replay Log file).  I know there were some limitations with that functionality
in 1.8, but I seem to remember it has been much improved for the 2.x series.
Don't know, as I haven't tried it.

As always, save early, save often.

HTH,
Maf.

> Thanks!
>
> David
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Data Entry Oddities

Derek Atkins
In reply to this post by sunfish62
"David T." <[hidden email]> writes:

> I've been migrating information into Gnucash 2.0.1, and I've noticed a few UI
> oddities that I'd like to understand better.
>
> First, it appears that pressing enter on a split line is different from tabbing
> "off the end" (for want of a better term) of that same line. When I press
> Enter, GC automatically enters an Imbalance-USD line item in the transaction,
> whereas if I tab off the end, a blank line in the amount is created. What is
> going on here, and why is there a difference?

Different code-paths depending on how you exit a line.  It's a major
PITA, and it's the main reason why the Edit Exchange Rate functionality
is broken.  IMHO you should always use 'tab' until you're done with
the whole transaction...

Hopefully the new register re-write will alleviate this issue.

[snip]
> Finally, I have been burned several times by the fact that GC doesn't save on a
> transaction-by-transaction basis. I am used to the many other database and
> financial packages out there that store data record by record. Is there a way
> to change GnuCash's save behavior to follow a transactional save model?

Send us the code for a SQLite backend.

> Thanks!
>
> David

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
       URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/    PP-ASEL-IA     N1NWH
       [hidden email]                        PGP key available
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.