Customer Summary Report

Robert Smits
When I do a Customer Summary Report (Reports, Business, Customer Summary) in
my GnuCash 2.4.11 running on OpenSuse 12.3 I get a report with the following
appearance:

Customer Profit Markup Sales Expense
VA7XXX CAD 7.00 100% CAD 7.00 CAD 0.00
VE7XXX CAD 130.00 100% CAD 130.00 CAD 0.00
VE7XXX CAD 130.00 100% CAD 130.00 CAD 0.00
No Customer -CAD 5,741.73 -442% CAD 1,299.91 CAD 7,041.64
Total -CAD 5,474.73 -349% CAD 1,566.91 CAD 7,041.64

As it happens, I have just started using Customers and Invoices, so there are
only three in the system. Where is the other information coming from? The
part starting with No Customer, I mean. And how do I get it to stop reporting
it?

--
Bob Smits <[hidden email]>
"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO is the

Re: Customer Summary Report

Bob Brush 3
The "Customer Summary Report" is a customer profit report, it can help
with job analysis by comparing the income and expenses for a specific
customer.  Under the options for the report a tab labeled "Expense
Accounts" will allow the selection of one or many expense accounts.
Likewise the tab for "Income Accounts" will allow the selection of one
or more income accounts.  The tab for "Display" will allow sorting by
name, profit percentage, or amount of profit.  The "No Customer" is a
warning that the report may be inaccurate, as the results are not all
properly labeled.

Possible use scenarios:

Tracking retail sales from different cities:
Income:Princeton Showroom Sales
Income:Beckley Showroom Sales
Expense:Princeton COGS
Expense:Beckley COGS

Tracking rental properties:
Income:Downtown
Income:Northwestern
Income:Park Ave
Expense:Downtown
Expense:Northwestern
Expense:Park Ave

Tracking types of business:
Income:Labor
Income:Materials
Expense:Labor
Expense:Cost of Goods Sold

Tracking commission sales:
Income:Robert Sales
Income:Micah Sales
Expense:Robert COGS
Expense:Micah COGS

So to get the most out of the report use the Income & Expense tabs to
hone down the information displayed on the report.  By default it
includes all income and expense accounts, GnuCash can't really predict
the names and classification of income and expense accounts.  To be
useful out of the box, any thing that happened income or expense wise
shows up as "No Customer": Rent, Paychecks, Utilities, Bank Charges..
everything.  Luckily it is easy to remove this information, if it is
distracting.  It can also shed a light on how much information is being
ignored, if the settings are overly selective the report might look
good, but only be showing 10% of the picture.

Why does the information look out of place by default:

All invoices have an "Owner" in GnuCash speak, so any invoices made will
show a customer and make it to the report.  When creating a "Bill" the
"Default Chargeback Customer" is blank, and often gets underused.  To
use the profit report this needs to be utilized, this is the tag that
decides which line to attach the expense.  Without a customer the bill
will belong to "No Customer", when entering income in a random register
instead of creating an invoice, it  will also  belong to "No Customer",
but that doesn't happen very often.

Inventory based businesses won't benefit as much because of the nature
of the report.  Currently there isn't a way to avoid this.  Creating
invoices for items out of inventory usually shows as 100% profit, hardly
reality.  The best way to handle this is to use a different income
account and exclude it from the report, if that won't over-complicate
the entry of invoices.  Once you get on a good start the invoice line
item auto-fill will help remember the accounts for inventory items.

Good luck!

On Sun, 2013-06-16 at 10:38 -0700, Robert Smits wrote:

> When I do a Customer Summary Report (Reports, Business, Customer Summary) in
> my GnuCash 2.4.11 running on OpenSuse 12.3 I get a report with the following
> appearance:
>
> Customer Profit Markup Sales Expense
> VA7XXX CAD 7.00 100% CAD 7.00 CAD 0.00
> VE7XXX CAD 130.00 100% CAD 130.00 CAD 0.00
> VE7XXX CAD 130.00 100% CAD 130.00 CAD 0.00
> No Customer -CAD 5,741.73 -442% CAD 1,299.91 CAD 7,041.64
> Total -CAD 5,474.73 -349% CAD 1,566.91 CAD 7,041.64
>
> As it happens, I have just started using Customers and Invoices, so there are
> only three in the system. Where is the other information coming from? The
> part starting with No Customer, I mean. And how do I get it to stop reporting
> it?

Re: Customer Summary Report

Robert Smits
On June 17, 2013 01:13:13 am Robert L Brush III wrote:

> The "Customer Summary Report" is a customer profit report, it can help
> with job analysis by comparing the income and expenses for a specific
> customer.  Under the options for the report a tab labeled "Expense
> Accounts" will allow the selection of one or many expense accounts.
> Likewise the tab for "Income Accounts" will allow the selection of one
> or more income accounts.  The tab for "Display" will allow sorting by
> name, profit percentage, or amount of profit.  The "No Customer" is a
> warning that the report may be inaccurate, as the results are not all
> properly labeled.

Thanks for the reply, but now I'm more confused than ever.

If the report is titled Customer Summary Report, why is it dragging in stuff
that has nothing to do with customers? All I expect is to get a list of all
my customers what their status - paid up, owe money, etc.

> Possible use scenarios:
>
> Tracking retail sales from different cities:
> Income:Princeton Showroom Sales
> Income:Beckley Showroom Sales
> Expense:Princeton COGS
> Expense:Beckley COGS
>
> Tracking rental properties:
> Income:Downtown
> Income:Northwestern
> Income:Park Ave
> Expense:Downtown
> Expense:Northwestern
> Expense:Park Ave
>
> Tracking types of business:
> Income:Labor
> Income:Materials
> Expense:Labor
> Expense:Cost of Goods Sold
>
> Tracking commission sales:
> Income:Robert Sales
> Income:Micah Sales
> Expense:Robert COGS
> Expense:Micah COGS
>
> So to get the most out of the report use the Income & Expense tabs to
> hone down the information displayed on the report.  By default it
> includes all income and expense accounts, GnuCash can't really predict
> the names and classification of income and expense accounts.  To be
> useful out of the box, any thing that happened income or expense wise
> shows up as "No Customer": Rent, Paychecks, Utilities, Bank Charges..
> everything.  Luckily it is easy to remove this information, if it is
> distracting.  It can also shed a light on how much information is being
> ignored, if the settings are overly selective the report might look
> good, but only be showing 10% of the picture.

Well, rent, for example has no connection with a customer. I don't understand
why rent would show up in a customer summary.

> Why does the information look out of place by default:
>
> All invoices have an "Owner" in GnuCash speak, so any invoices made will
> show a customer and make it to the report.  When creating a "Bill" the
> "Default Chargeback Customer" is blank, and often gets underused.  To
> use the profit report this needs to be utilized, this is the tag that
> decides which line to attach the expense.  Without a customer the bill
> will belong to "No Customer", when entering income in a random register
> instead of creating an invoice, it  will also  belong to "No Customer",
> but that doesn't happen very often.

What Bill are you talking about? In my system I have only three invoices to
date, each of them associated with a particular customer. What are you
calling a Bill? I don't think I've ever created one.

> Inventory based businesses won't benefit as much because of the nature
> of the report.  Currently there isn't a way to avoid this.  Creating
> invoices for items out of inventory usually shows as 100% profit, hardly
> reality.  The best way to handle this is to use a different income
> account and exclude it from the report, if that won't over-complicate
> the entry of invoices.  Once you get on a good start the invoice line
> item auto-fill will help remember the accounts for inventory items.
>
> Good luck!

Thanks, Bob. I appreciate your help.

What I've been doing to implement invoices is creating a list of customers,
then creating an invoice for each sale, associated with a particular
customer, and posting it to accounts receivable. When I get payment I process
the payment and the money goes into the checking account.

What I had hoped the Customer Summary would do is show a list of customers,
their paid and outstanding invoices, and nothing else.

Thanks, Bob

On Fri, 2013-06-21 at 16:24 +0000, Robert Smits wrote:

> On June 17, 2013 01:13:13 am Robert L Brush III wrote:
> > The "Customer Summary Report" is a customer profit report, it can help
> > with job analysis by comparing the income and expenses for a specific
> > customer.  Under the options for the report a tab labeled "Expense
> > Accounts" will allow the selection of one or many expense accounts.
> > Likewise the tab for "Income Accounts" will allow the selection of one
> > or more income accounts.  The tab for "Display" will allow sorting by
> > name, profit percentage, or amount of profit.  The "No Customer" is a
> > warning that the report may be inaccurate, as the results are not all
> > properly labeled.
> >

> Thanks for the reply, but now I'm more confused than ever.
>
> If the report is titled Customer Summary Report, why is it dragging in stuff
> that has nothing to do with customers? All I expect is to get a list of all
> my customers what their status - paid up, owe money, etc.

The report you are looking for is Accounts Receivable, that is the best
list  of customers with their payment status.  The report you are
looking at is only looking for differences between income and expenses,
neither of which have to be paid, and in fact paying will not change the
results of  the report.  When making this report, there were specific
cases that were solved, but every effort was made to keep things neutral
enough so it could be a general purpose tool and possibly used in  other
ways in the future.

I think it would  be  best  to  rename the customer summary report the
customer  profit report, but I  don't know how involved that would
be.

> > Possible use scenarios:
> >
> > Tracking retail sales from different cities:
> > Income:Princeton Showroom Sales
> > Income:Beckley Showroom Sales
> > Expense:Princeton COGS
> > Expense:Beckley COGS
> >
> > Tracking rental properties:
> > Income:Downtown
> > Income:Northwestern
> > Income:Park Ave
> > Expense:Downtown
> > Expense:Northwestern
> > Expense:Park Ave
> >
> > Tracking types of business:
> > Income:Labor
> > Income:Materials
> > Expense:Labor
> > Expense:Cost of Goods Sold
> >
> > Tracking commission sales:
> > Income:Robert Sales
> > Income:Micah Sales
> > Expense:Robert COGS
> > Expense:Micah COGS
> >
> > So to get the most out of the report use the Income & Expense tabs to
> > hone down the information displayed on the report.  By default it
> > includes all income and expense accounts, GnuCash can't really predict
> > the names and classification of income and expense accounts.  To be
> > useful out of the box, any thing that happened income or expense wise
> > shows up as "No Customer": Rent, Paychecks, Utilities, Bank Charges..
> > everything.  Luckily it is easy to remove this information, if it is
> > distracting.  It can also shed a light on how much information is being
> > ignored, if the settings are overly selective the report might look
> > good, but only be showing 10% of the picture.
> >

> Well, rent, for example has no connection with a customer. I don't understand
> why rent would show up in a customer summary.

No particular expense was  hand picked, but all are included by default,
and really they have to be selected on an individual basis, there  isn't
a perfect  way to decide without knowing the way the accounts are set
up.

> > Why does the information look out of place by default:
> >
> > All invoices have an "Owner" in GnuCash speak, so any invoices made will
> > show a customer and make it to the report.  When creating a "Bill" the
> > "Default Chargeback Customer" is blank, and often gets underused.  To
> > use the profit report this needs to be utilized, this is the tag that
> > decides which line to attach the expense.  Without a customer the bill
> > will belong to "No Customer", when entering income in a random register
> > instead of creating an invoice, it  will also  belong to "No Customer",
> > but that doesn't happen very often.
>
> What Bill are you talking about? In my system I have only three invoices to
> date, each of them associated with a particular customer. What are you
> calling a Bill? I don't think I've ever created one.
It is a business feature to record invoices you receive from your
vendors if you choose to track that sort of thing.

http://gnucash.org/docs/v2.4/C/gnucash-guide/bus-ap-bills1.html

> > Inventory based businesses won't benefit as much because of the nature
> > of the report.  Currently there isn't a way to avoid this.  Creating
> > invoices for items out of inventory usually shows as 100% profit, hardly
> > reality.  The best way to handle this is to use a different income
> > account and exclude it from the report, if that won't over-complicate
> > the entry of invoices.  Once you get on a good start the invoice line
> > item auto-fill will help remember the accounts for inventory items.
> >
> > Good luck!
>
> Thanks, Bob. I appreciate your help.
Glad to help :)

> What I've been doing to implement invoices is creating a list of customers,
> then creating an invoice for each sale, associated with a particular
> customer, and posting it to accounts receivable. When I get payment I process
> the payment and the money goes into the checking account.

Just in case, it  would be recommended to set up intermediate accounts,
when a check is received it goes into  the bottom of the drawer, but
gets labelled  as it is going into "Checks to deposit". If it is a
credit  card  it goes into "Square Register".  This is sometime
necessary to reflect the crazy realities.  Usually the customer will
want credit shown on their  statement for the day they write the check,
usually the bank will give credit on a specific day, but not usually the
day the check was written.  The credit card company usually keeps some
of the money, so it is easier to keep all their  dealings in one
register, making it easier  to locate down the road.

> What I had hoped the Customer Summary would do is show a list of customers,
> their paid and outstanding invoices, and nothing else.

I can't wait until you see the Customer Overview Page, it has helped
with our work process, and should be easier to work with than the A/R
report, I'm not sure  when it will be widely available..

Thanks, Bob
--
Robert L. Brush III
Raleigh Tile of Beckley ** West Virginia

Re: Customer Summary Report

Robert Smits
On June 21, 2013 11:01:11 pm Robert L Brush III wrote:

> On Fri, 2013-06-21 at 16:24 +0000, Robert Smits wrote:
> > On June 17, 2013 01:13:13 am Robert L Brush III wrote:
> > > The "Customer Summary Report" is a customer profit report, it can help
> > > with job analysis by comparing the income and expenses for a specific
> > > customer.  Under the options for the report a tab labeled "Expense
> > > Accounts" will allow the selection of one or many expense accounts.
> > > Likewise the tab for "Income Accounts" will allow the selection of one
> > > or more income accounts.  The tab for "Display" will allow sorting by
> > > name, profit percentage, or amount of profit.  The "No Customer" is a
> > > warning that the report may be inaccurate, as the results are not all
> > > properly labeled.
> >
> > Thanks for the reply, but now I'm more confused than ever.
> >
> > If the report is titled Customer Summary Report, why is it dragging in
> > stuff that has nothing to do with customers? All I expect is to get a
> > list of all my customers what their status - paid up, owe money, etc.
>
> The report you are looking for is Accounts Receivable, that is the best
> list  of customers with their payment status.  The report you are
> looking at is only looking for differences between income and expenses,
> neither of which have to be paid, and in fact paying will not change the
> results of  the report.  When making this report, there were specific
> cases that were solved, but every effort was made to keep things neutral
> enough so it could be a general purpose tool and possibly used in  other
> ways in the future.

Accounts Receivable Aging? I think that's what you mean.

> I think it would  be  best  to  rename the customer summary report the
> customer  profit report, but I  don't know how involved that would
> be.

Yes, it would probably be less confusing - to me, anyway.

> > > Possible use scenarios:
> > >
> > > Tracking retail sales from different cities:
> > > Income:Princeton Showroom Sales
> > > Income:Beckley Showroom Sales
> > > Expense:Princeton COGS
> > > Expense:Beckley COGS
> > >
> > > Tracking rental properties:
> > > Income:Downtown
> > > Income:Northwestern
> > > Income:Park Ave
> > > Expense:Downtown
> > > Expense:Northwestern
> > > Expense:Park Ave
> > >
> > > Tracking types of business:
> > > Income:Labor
> > > Income:Materials
> > > Expense:Labor
> > > Expense:Cost of Goods Sold
> > >
> > > Tracking commission sales:
> > > Income:Robert Sales
> > > Income:Micah Sales
> > > Expense:Robert COGS
> > > Expense:Micah COGS
> > >
> > > So to get the most out of the report use the Income & Expense tabs to
> > > hone down the information displayed on the report.  By default it
> > > includes all income and expense accounts, GnuCash can't really predict
> > > the names and classification of income and expense accounts.  To be
> > > useful out of the box, any thing that happened income or expense wise
> > > shows up as "No Customer": Rent, Paychecks, Utilities, Bank Charges..
> > > everything.  Luckily it is easy to remove this information, if it is
> > > distracting.  It can also shed a light on how much information is being
> > > ignored, if the settings are overly selective the report might look
> > > good, but only be showing 10% of the picture.

I can see where this might be useful for some users, but not me.

> > Well, rent, for example has no connection with a customer. I don't
> > understand why rent would show up in a customer summary.
>
> No particular expense was  hand picked, but all are included by default,
> and really they have to be selected on an individual basis, there  isn't
> a perfect  way to decide without knowing the way the accounts are set
> up.
>
> > > Why does the information look out of place by default:
> > >
> > > All invoices have an "Owner" in GnuCash speak, so any invoices made
> > > will show a customer and make it to the report.  When creating a "Bill"
> > > the "Default Chargeback Customer" is blank, and often gets underused.
> > > To use the profit report this needs to be utilized, this is the tag
> > > that decides which line to attach the expense.  Without a customer the
> > > bill will belong to "No Customer", when entering income in a random
> > > register instead of creating an invoice, it  will also  belong to "No
> > > Customer", but that doesn't happen very often.
> >
> > What Bill are you talking about? In my system I have only three invoices
> > to date, each of them associated with a particular customer. What are you
> > calling a Bill? I don't think I've ever created one.
>
> It is a business feature to record invoices you receive from your
> vendors if you choose to track that sort of thing.

If you define a vendor as someone who sells on products that you make, then I don't have ANY vendors at all. I only get bills or invoices from suppliers who sell stuff to our organization.

> http://gnucash.org/docs/v2.4/C/gnucash-guide/bus-ap-bills1.html
>
> > > Inventory based businesses won't benefit as much because of the nature
> > > of the report.  Currently there isn't a way to avoid this.  Creating
> > > invoices for items out of inventory usually shows as 100% profit,
> > > hardly reality.  The best way to handle this is to use a different
> > > income account and exclude it from the report, if that won't
> > > over-complicate the entry of invoices.  Once you get on a good start
> > > the invoice line item auto-fill will help remember the accounts for
> > > inventory items.
> > >
> > > Good luck!
> >
> > Thanks, Bob. I appreciate your help.
>
> Glad to help :)
>
> > What I've been doing to implement invoices is creating a list of
> > customers, then creating an invoice for each sale, associated with a
> > particular customer, and posting it to accounts receivable. When I get
> > payment I process the payment and the money goes into the checking
> > account.
>
> Just in case, it  would be recommended to set up intermediate accounts,
> when a check is received it goes into  the bottom of the drawer, but
> gets labelled  as it is going into "Checks to deposit". If it is a
> credit  card  it goes into "Square Register".  This is sometime
> necessary to reflect the crazy realities.  Usually the customer will
> want credit shown on their  statement for the day they write the check,
> usually the bank will give credit on a specific day, but not usually the
> day the check was written.  The credit card company usually keeps some
> of the money, so it is easier to keep all their  dealings in one
> register, making it easier  to locate down the road.

Because we're dealing with almost zero retail sales I'm not sure I need to do this, but I can see advantages for situations with more retail sales.

> > What I had hoped the Customer Summary would do is show a list of
> > customers, their paid and outstanding invoices, and nothing else.
>
> I can't wait until you see the Customer Overview Page, it has helped
> with our work process, and should be easier to work with than the A/R
> report, I'm not sure  when it will be widely available..
>
> Thanks, Bob

 This sounds intriguing, Bob. I'm looking forward to it.