Customer Summary Report - Expenses all zeros

Customer Summary Report - Expenses all zeros

wgregori
I'm new to Gnucash (and general accounting) but I'm getting the hang
of it.

When I run a Customer Summary I see zeros in the expense column.
Where is the system pulling the expense data?  How can I attribute
expenses to a given customer?

Thanks

Wayne Gregori

Re: Customer Summary Report - Expenses all zeros

Wayne Gregori <[hidden email]> writes:

> I'm new to Gnucash (and general accounting) but I'm getting the hang
> of it.
>
> When I run a Customer Summary I see zeros in the expense column.

Um, exactly which report are you running?  There is no report called
"Customer Summary".

> Where is the system pulling the expense data?  How can I attribute
> expenses to a given customer?

You need to create a Vendor Bill for the expense, assign the Customer as
a chargeback target, and then mark the particular line-items as
chargebacks.

> Thanks
>

> Wayne Gregori

Re: Customer Summary Report - Expenses all zeros

Robert Smits
On March 21, 2013 08:13:29 am Derek Atkins wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Wayne Gregori <[hidden email]> writes:
> > I'm new to Gnucash (and general accounting) but I'm getting the hang
> > of it.
> >
> > When I run a Customer Summary I see zeros in the expense column.
>
> Um, exactly which report are you running?  There is no report called
> "Customer Summary".

Reports, Business, Customer Summary

--
Bob Smits <[hidden email]>
"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO is the

Re: Customer Summary Report - Expenses all zeros

Robert Smits
On March 21, 2013 08:13:29 am Derek Atkins wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Wayne Gregori <[hidden email]> writes:
> > I'm new to Gnucash (and general accounting) but I'm getting the hang
> > of it.
> >
> > When I run a Customer Summary I see zeros in the expense column.
>
> Um, exactly which report are you running?  There is no report called
> "Customer Summary".
>
> > Where is the system pulling the expense data?  How can I attribute
> > expenses to a given customer?
>
> You need to create a Vendor Bill for the expense, assign the Customer as
> a chargeback target, and then mark the particular line-items as
> chargebacks.

Derek, why do we have both Vendor "Bills" and Vendor "Invoices"? In my mind
they seem like the  same thing, but obviously they aren't since we have both
of them in Gnucash.

Bob Smits <[hidden email]>
"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO is the
answer."   - Erik Naggum

Re: Customer Summary Report - Expenses all zeros

Derek Atkins
Robert Smits <[hidden email]> writes:

> On March 21, 2013 08:13:29 am Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Wayne Gregori <[hidden email]> writes:
>> > I'm new to Gnucash (and general accounting) but I'm getting the hang
>> > of it.
>> >
>> > When I run a Customer Summary I see zeros in the expense column.
>>
>> Um, exactly which report are you running?  There is no report called
>> "Customer Summary".
>>
>> > Where is the system pulling the expense data?  How can I attribute
>> > expenses to a given customer?
>>
>> You need to create a Vendor Bill for the expense, assign the Customer as
>> a chargeback target, and then mark the particular line-items as
>> chargebacks.
>>

> Derek, why do we have both Vendor "Bills" and Vendor "Invoices"? In my mind
> they seem like the  same thing, but obviously they aren't since we have both
> of them in Gnucash.

Where do you see "Vendor Invoices"?

We have Customer Invoices, Vendor Bills, and Employee Expense Vouchers.
I needed to come up with different words in English because other
languages definitely separate a "bill" you receive that you need to pay
versus a bill (invoice) that you send out for someone else to pay you.
In English the words are effectively synonymous so only context gives
you direction, but other languages have different words to express the
direction.

Under the covers they all use the same data structures, so the
differences really are just in the labels and some of the logic based on
whether the GncInvoice object's owner is a Customer, Vendor, or
Employee.

Hope this helps?

Distinction between Bill and Invoice (was: Re: Customer Summary Report - Expenses all zeros)

Geert Janssens
On Tuesday 25 June 2013 11:19:25 Derek Atkins wrote:

> Robert Smits <[hidden email]> writes:
> > Derek, why do we have both Vendor "Bills" and Vendor "Invoices"? In
> > my mind they seem like the  same thing, but obviously they aren't
> > since we have both of them in Gnucash.
>
> Where do you see "Vendor Invoices"?
>
> We have Customer Invoices, Vendor Bills, and Employee Expense
> Vouchers. I needed to come up with different words in English because
> other languages definitely separate a "bill" you receive that you
> need to pay versus a bill (invoice) that you send out for someone
> else to pay you. In English the words are effectively synonymous so
> only context gives you direction, but other languages have different
> words to express the direction.

Slightly off-topic for the original question, but...

I'm actually still looking for an example where this really is the case. In Belgium (Dutch/French)
it is not. A customer receives a "Faktuur" (invoice) and a vendor sends a "Faktuur" (invoice) as
well.

I have seen users expressing the desire to differentiate the names to make it easier to know if
the invoice is from a vendor or a bill at all times. So the Dutch translation have become
"Verkoopfaktuur" (sales invoice) and "Aankoopfaktuur" (purchase invoice). But this is certainly
no a legal requirement. Legally, only "Faktuur" exists.

So at least here in Belgium (as in the US) the distinction is only an aid to provide sufficient
context in all the windows and dialogs we have. But there are other ways to provide such
context than using two different words. For example in the current business menu, there is
already sufficient context: all invoice/bill related commands are in a submenu for vendor or
customer. There the distinction between invoice/bill doesn't add much. In a similar way adding
the word Vendor or Customer in certain dialogs would already add sufficient context to make
the invoice/bill distinction redundant. And so on.

> Under the covers they all use the same data structures, so the
> differences really are just in the labels and some of the logic based
> on whether the GncInvoice object's owner is a Customer, Vendor, or
> Employee.
>
> Hope this helps?

Re: Distinction between Bill and Invoice (was: Re: Customer Summary Report - Expenses all zeros)

Rosi Dimova
Good afternoon everybody,

2013/6/25 Geert Janssens <[hidden email]>

> On Tuesday 25 June 2013 11:19:25 Derek Atkins wrote:
> > Robert Smits <[hidden email]> writes:
> > > Derek, why do we have both Vendor "Bills" and Vendor "Invoices"? In
> > > my mind they seem like the  same thing, but obviously they aren't
> > > since we have both of them in Gnucash.
> >
> > Where do you see "Vendor Invoices"?
> >
> > We have Customer Invoices, Vendor Bills, and Employee Expense
> > Vouchers. I needed to come up with different words in English because
> > other languages definitely separate a "bill" you receive that you
> > need to pay versus a bill (invoice) that you send out for someone
> > else to pay you. In English the words are effectively synonymous so
> > only context gives you direction, but other languages have different
> > words to express the direction.
> >
> Slightly off-topic for the original question, but...
>
> I'm actually still looking for an example where this really is the case.
> In Belgium (Dutch/French)
> it is not. A customer receives a "Faktuur" (invoice) and a vendor sends a
> "Faktuur" (invoice) as
> well.
>
> I have seen users expressing the desire to differentiate the names to make
> it easier to know if
> the invoice is from a vendor or a bill at all times. So the Dutch
> translation have become
> "Verkoopfaktuur" (sales invoice) and "Aankoopfaktuur" (purchase invoice).
> But this is certainly
> no a legal requirement. Legally, only "Faktuur" exists.

So does Bulgarian and this "invoice and bill" stuff turned my translation
into a nightmare. I started and stopped few times during the years because
of it and because of imbalanced and orphan accounts (which is a different
story)[1].

We have invoices and bills but the difference between them has nothing to
do with issuing them to customers or receiving them from vendors. There is
only one word for sales invoices and purchase invoices --> фактура
[fak`tura]. We also have "tax invoice" and "simplified invoice", but it's
not a good idea to get that deep :)

You can issue an invoice and you can receive it for payment and the only
thing that matters is if you are allowed to reclaim VAT, resp. obligated to
charge VAT by the legislation. And nothing else. :-) Bills are much more
like receipts for purchased and sold goods/services and generally used as
evidence for immediate payment (restaurant, tickets, shopping, Internet,
etc.)  They cannot be used for any VAT-related issues.
In other words, invoices only matter if you want to refund VAT and bills
are not VAT-reclaimable.

So, I decided the category "Customer invoices" refers to issued
bills&invoices to the existing customers. And "Vendor bills" must be
received bills, receipts, and invoices, no matter if already paid or still
waiting payment. Since I use GnuCash for housekeeping only and not for
business, I still have no idea if I'm right or totally wrong. Nor do all 5
users of the Bulgarian translation. :-)

Greetings,
Rosi

[1] Just for the record: we don't have either accounts in our legislation,
the concept is just missing. All the accountants I asked were screwed-up by
the explanation. There is no way to transfer amount and not to appoint
where it comes from and where it goes to. And no option to delete the
parent account and not to specify what happens with the child accounts and
records within. Luckily, a friend of mine working for a foreign company
gave me the correct names.