Currency symbol

Robert Williams-8
I'm new to linux and have just started using Gnucash 1.8.8 which is the
version shipped with SuSE 9.2.

Very pleased with it, and much easier to understand than Microsoft
Money. However, I'm using the GBP currency (naturally, as I live in UK)
but the pound sign displays with a capital A in front of it. Moreover,
the A has a little hat on, in the form of a carat symbol [Shift 6]. This
is very distracting. Has anyone else come across this problem? Any
suggestions on how to correct the display?
--
Bob Williams

PGP Key <mailto:[hidden email]?SUBJECT=GET%0xAC251C04>

Re: Currency symbol

Maf. King
On Thursday 19 May 2005 16:06, Bob Williams wrote:
> I'm new to linux and have just started using Gnucash 1.8.8 which is the
> version shipped with SuSE 9.2.
>
> Very pleased with it, and much easier to understand than Microsoft
> Money. However, I'm using the GBP currency (naturally, as I live in UK)
> but the pound sign displays with a capital A in front of it. Moreover,
> the A has a little hat on, in the form of a carat symbol [Shift 6]. This
> is very distracting. Has anyone else come across this problem? Any
> suggestions on how to correct the display?

Hi Bob.

This is do do with the character encoding used by SuSE, which is UTF-8 by
default.  as GC (by virtue of being a Gnome-1 app) doesn't understand UTF-8,
you get some wierd display characters.

What you need to do is switch to a different encoding for GC.  This is
discussed in the FAQ, see
http://gnomesupport.org/wiki/index.php/GnuCashFaq#Q:_How_do_I_make_reports_not_display_the_same_strange_character_.28e.g._dashed_outlined_box.29_before_each_desired_character.3F

(that's a really long url, if it gets wrapped your end!)

for SuSE in the UK, you want an encoding of LANG="en_GB.ISO-8859-1"

HTH,
Maf.

Re: Currency symbol

Please check the FAQ.  This is explained there in the section
about locales and UTF8 and extra characters in the currency
symbols.

-derek