Crowdfunding + GnuCash mobile app

randix
Patience has never been one of my better qualities.

I enjoy GnuCash, use it multiple times a day and totally rely on it, but frustrated with the current GnuCash mobile app (yes, I realize it is a totally separate program and developer), which passively allows you to record transactions for upload and merge, but really is not a robust financial app replacement...

Wondered if any of those who have been putting in their time and sweat to develop GnuCash which we all use and enjoy, have considered pooling their resources and increasing the ante by using some type of crowd funding approach which would make the resources available for them to develop a true robust GnuCash mobile app, as a full time effort?

Just a thought, figured I'd throw out a seed in case someone wants the idea to flower...

Re: Crowdfunding + GnuCash mobile app

> On Jul 19, 2015, at 6:21 PM, Steve <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Patience has never been one of my better qualities.
>
> I enjoy GnuCash, use it multiple times a day and totally rely on it, but
> frustrated with the current GnuCash mobile app (yes, I realize it is a
> totally separate program and developer), which passively allows you to
> record transactions for upload and merge, but really is not a robust
> financial app replacement...
>
> Wondered if any of those who have been putting in their time and sweat to
> develop GnuCash which we all use and enjoy, have considered pooling their
> resources and increasing the ante by using some type of crowd funding
> approach which would make the resources available for them to develop a true
> robust GnuCash mobile app, as a full time effort?
>
> Just a thought, figured I'd throw out a seed in case someone wants the idea
> to flower...

It would take a lot of money, expert developers are expensive and we’d need several to get done quickly everything that needs doing to port GnuCash to Android or iOS. It would also mean that at least one the current developers would have to play PHB to the paid developers, something I don’t think any of us would enjoy.

OTOH GnuCash already runs on Win8 and presumably on Win10, so you can have it on your Surface now. It won’t be a very pleasant experience because Gtk doesn’t do touch and the screen real-estate demands are significant, but it will run.

Re: Crowdfunding + GnuCash mobile app

Michael DeBusk-2
On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 9:21 PM, Steve <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I enjoy GnuCash, use it multiple times a day and totally rely on it, but
> frustrated with the current GnuCash mobile app

With the greatest respect to the GnuCash mobile app developers, I've
not found a better mobile app than this one:
http://www.myexpenses.mobi/en/

It's one of the few Android apps I've liked enough to pay for.

--
Home: http://nlphilia.com     * Blog: http://nlphilia.net
Registered Linux User #450983 * Ubuntu Counter Project #10548

Re: Crowdfunding + GnuCash mobile app

randix
Michael... how do you use it in conjunction w GnuCash (if at all)?

On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 8:52 PM, Steve <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Michael... how do you use it in conjunction w GnuCash (if at all)?

I use it to track my cash expenses and I export a QIF at the end of every month.