Crash in 2.1.5 for Windows

Fred Bone
I have a scenario that will reliably crash 2.1.5 (Windows). I want to
stack-trace and that I should instead use Bug-Buddy. However, I cannot
find any information on how to do either. Can anyone here help?

FWIW, here's how:

1. Open a Stock account register
2. Enter a transaction to acquire some shares at zero cost
3. Click the toolbar "Reconcile" button.

You get a sort of ghost of the "Reconcile Information" window and a
crash.

I have no idea whether there is a Windows crash dump or trace anywhere;
as I don't know what the file name would be, I can't easily look for it.
However, the "obvious" places (root directory, temp directories) don't
have anything that looks relevant.

Note that the menu item "Actions->Reconcile" usually works correctly (on
the same data), though I have just made it crash.

The crash seems to happen with any zero-cost transaction present, e.g. a
stock-split. However, I have not yet been able to do exhaustive testing
on this (I'm not sure I know what exhaustive testing would consist of).

Re: Crash in 2.1.5 for Windows

Beth Leonard
On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 10:57:41AM +0100, Fred Bone wrote:
> I have a scenario that will reliably crash 2.1.5 (Windows). I want to
> stack-trace and that I should instead use Bug-Buddy. However, I cannot
> find any information on how to do either. Can anyone here help?

I don't know much about Windows, but in the past it has been suggested:
   could you please test one or more of the following, where ~ is "C:
   \Documents and Settings\$user"

   * kill gconfd-2.exe
   * rename the directories ~\.gconf and ~\.gconfd (they are for your
   preferences)
   * check ~\Local Settings\Temp\gnucash.trace.abcdef files for warnings
   and critical warnings

   -- andi5

This doesn't quite answer your question about a windows stack trace,
hopefully someone else can help with that.

--Beth
Beth Leonard
http://www.LeonardFamilyVideos.com

Re: Crash in 2.1.5 for Windows

Fred Bone
On 9 Jul 2007 at 3:45, Beth Leonard said:

> On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 10:57:41AM +0100, Fred Bone wrote:
> > I have a scenario that will reliably crash 2.1.5 (Windows). I want to
> > stack-trace and that I should instead use Bug-Buddy. However, I cannot
> > find any information on how to do either. Can anyone here help?
>
> I don't know much about Windows, but in the past it has been suggested:
>    could you please test one or more of the following, where ~ is "C:
>    \Documents and Settings\$user"
>
>    * kill gconfd-2.exe
>    * rename the directories ~\.gconf and ~\.gconfd (they are for your
>    preferences)

That was a bit of a challenge, since Windows doesn't like filenames that
start with a dot. I moved them under a different parent directory
instead.

Anyway, doing this seems to have made the problem go away.

Should I send the old contents of .gconf and .gconfd to anyone?

It is perhaps worth noting that I started on 2.1.3, upgraded to 2.1.4 and
then to 2.1.5. I might have cleared these files out between upgrades if
I'd known of their existence.

>    * check ~\Local Settings\Temp\gnucash.trace.abcdef files for warnings
>    and critical warnings

I get those all the time on a normal run (e.g. open GnuCash and
immediately close it, with the default file being my minimal testing
one):
---
*   WARN <qof.engine> [guid_init()] only got 2779 bytes.
The identifiers might not be very random.
*   WARN <gnc.engine> failed to load gnc-backend-postgres from C:\Program Files\gnucash\lib\gnucash
*   WARN <Gdk> gdkselection-win32.c:1068: OpenClipboard failed: Invalid window handle.
---

If I open my real-data file, I get a lot more, including 20 of this:
---
*   WARN <gnc.backend.file> Invalid timestamp in data file.  Look for a 'trn:date-posted' entry with a date of 1969-12-31 or 1970-01-01.
---
relating to my Scheduled Transactions, and these:
---
*   CRIT <GLib-GObject> g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
*   CRIT <gnc.engine> gnc_account_n_children: assertion `GNC_IS_ACCOUNT(account)' failed
*   WARN <Gdk> gdkselection-win32.c:1068: OpenClipboard failed: Invalid window handle.
*   CRIT <gnc.backend.file> commodity_ref_to_dom_tree: assertion `c' failed
*   CRIT <gnc.backend.file> commodity_ref_to_dom_tree: assertion `c' failed
---
which I have not yet succeeded in relating to any particular action or
account.