Compiling Gnucash 2.6.16 on Linux Mint 18.1

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Compiling Gnucash 2.6.16 on Linux Mint 18.1

David Cousens
Hi
Has anyone else had any problems compiling Gnucash 2.6.16. I seem to get through the ./configure and make and sudo make install with no obvious problems.

The executable is installed in /usr/local/bin with libraries in /usr/local/lib/gnucash and configuration in /usr/local/etc/gnucash.( At present I am not getting an icon in the menu but I can fix that later.
$ whereis gnucash
gnucash: /usr/local/bin/gnucash /usr/local/etc/gnucash /usr/local/lib/gnucash

When I attempt to start gnucash (/usr/local/bin gnucash, I get a message "/usr/local/bin/gnucash: error while loading shared libraries: libgnc-gnome.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory".

This is a link to libgnc-gnome.so.0.0.0 and both the link and the linked file are located in /usr/local/lib.  

This is the same as my 2.6.15 (also compiled from sources on LM18.1 Serena) on a desktop and working fine. The permissions on the libgnc-gnome.so related files are also the same on both machines.

Following an earlier post by John Ralls in response to a similar problem with 2.6.15 (https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2015-September/061847.html)
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/libc.conf loads /usr/local/lib and is called by /etc/ld.so.conf.

I ran sudo ldconfig and gnucash 2.6.16 then started up and loaded a data file gener ated from 2.6.15 with no apparent problems although GTK issued a message "Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "atk-bridge". on startup. Not sure what this means. I have Libatk1.0-0, Libatk1.0-dev, Libatk-bridge2.0-0,  Libatk-bridge2.0-dev and Libatkmm1.6-1v5 ( but not the headers from the last library) already loaded.

During the./configure stage I had to load quite a few other packages than those mentioned in the dependencies some to do with getting gtk compiled and installed (listed below).

Linux Mint 18.1 Serena  clean install from ISO
sudo apt install build-essentials
dependencies not present
1  glib       Software Manager installl Libglib2.0-0, Libglib2.0-dev     version 2.48.2-ubuntu
2. guile      Software Manager install Guile-2.0-dev                     version 2.0.11+1-10
3. libxml     Software Manager Libxml++2.6-2v5, Libxml++2.6-dev          version 2.40.1-1
4. libxslt    Software Manager Libxslt1.1, Libxslt1-dev                  version  1.1.28-2.1
5. xsltproc   Software Manager Xsltproc                                  version 1.1.28-2.1
6. libdbi     Software manager Libdbi1, Libdbi-dev                       version 0.9.0-4
7. libdbdb    Software manager libdbd-mysql,libdbd-pgsql,libdbd-sqlite3  version 0.9.0-3ubuntu2
8. libatk     Software Manager Libatk-1.0-dev                            version 2.18.0-1         gtk+2 dependency
9. libpango   Software Manager Libpango-1.0-dev                          version 1.38.1-1         gtk+2 dependency
10 libcairo  Software Manager  Libcairo2-dev                             version 1.14.6-1          gtk+2 dependency
11 libgdk-pixbuf Software Manager Libgdk-pixbuf2.0-dev                   version 2.32.2-1ubuntu1.2 gtk+2 dependency
12 gtk+2.0    download http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/gtk+/2.24/ version 2.24.31  compiled from sources
13 libgnomecanvas-2.0 Software Manager Libgnomecanvas2-dev               version 2.30.3-2
14 libgoffice Software Manager Libgoffice-0.8 -8 & dev                   version 0.8.17-3
15 libwebkit  Software Manager Libwebkit-dev                             version 2.4.11-0ubuntu0.1

Gnucash 2.6.16 appears to be working OK, I can view registers,open splits etc but I am not too confident about using it for production activities at this stage. no posts I have found re the atk-bridge not

Any suggestions would be welcome.
David Cousens
David Cousens
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Compiling Gnucash 2.6.16 on Linux Mint 18.1

tjoen
On Wed, 2017-03-29 at 21:53 -0700, DaveC49 wrote:

> When I attempt to start gnucash (/usr/local/bin gnucash, I get a
> message
> "/usr/local/bin/gnucash: error while loading shared libraries:
> libgnc-gnome.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory".
>
> This is a link to libgnc-gnome.so.0.0.0 and both the link and the
> linked
> file are located in /usr/local/lib.  

Several solutions possible but easiest is:
# rm /usr/lib/libgnc-gnome.so.0
# ln -s /usr/local/lib/libgnc-gnome.so.0 /usr/lib/
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Compiling Gnucash 2.6.16 on Linux Mint 18.1

Geert Janssens-4
In reply to this post by David Cousens
On donderdag 30 maart 2017 06:53:14 CEST DaveC49 wrote:

> Hi
> Has anyone else had any problems compiling Gnucash 2.6.16. I seem to get
> through the ./configure and make and sudo make install with no obvious
> problems.
>
> The executable is installed in /usr/local/bin with libraries in
> /usr/local/lib/gnucash and configuration in /usr/local/etc/gnucash.( At
> present I am not getting an icon in the menu but I can fix that later.
> $ whereis gnucash
> gnucash: /usr/local/bin/gnucash /usr/local/etc/gnucash
> /usr/local/lib/gnucash
>
> When I attempt to start gnucash (/usr/local/bin gnucash, I get a message
> "/usr/local/bin/gnucash: error while loading shared libraries:
> libgnc-gnome.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory".
>
> This is a link to libgnc-gnome.so.0.0.0 and both the link and the linked
> file are located in /usr/local/lib.
>
> This is the same as my 2.6.15 (also compiled from sources on LM18.1 Serena)
> on a desktop and working fine. The permissions on the libgnc-gnome.so
> related files are also the same on both machines.
>
> Following an earlier post by John Ralls in response to a similar problem
> with 2.6.15
> (https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2015-September/061847.html
> ) /etc/ld.so.conf.d/libc.conf loads /usr/local/lib and is called by
> /etc/ld.so.conf.
>
> I ran sudo ldconfig and gnucash 2.6.16 then started up and loaded a data
> file gener ated from 2.6.15 with no apparent problems although GTK issued a
> message "Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "atk-bridge". on startup. Not
> sure what this means. I have Libatk1.0-0, Libatk1.0-dev, Libatk-bridge2.0-0,
> Libatk-bridge2.0-dev and Libatkmm1.6-1v5 ( but not the headers from the
> last library) already loaded.

Gnucash is not using libatk (Gnome's Accessibility ToolKit interface) directly. It's used by gtk to
provide accessibility support to all gtk based applications. I have never built gtk myself, so I
can't give you any advice on how to get this fixed. Perhaps there's a configure time parameter
or environment variable that can be set while building gtk to tell it where to find libatk. You
could try to run "./configure --help" in your gtk source directory for more information.

If no one on the gnucash list can provide a solution, your best bet for an answer would be on a
gtk support list.

>
> During the./configure stage I had to load quite a few other packages than
> those mentioned in the dependencies some to do with getting gtk compiled and
> installed (listed below).

That is to be expected. Our build documentation only talks about what's needed to build
gnucash. gtk2 is one such dependency, but we don't describe what's needed to build *that*. On
distributions on general we assume it to be available as a package from the distro's package
repositories.
>
> Linux Mint 18.1 Serena  clean install from ISO
> sudo apt install build-essentials

Did you also try
sudo apt-get build-dep gnucash

I believe that is the command to get all of gnucash' build dependencies installed.


> 12 gtk+2.0    download http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/gtk+/2.24/
> version 2.24.31  compiled from sources

Makes me wonder: why did you choose to compile gtk+2 from sources ?

>
> Gnucash 2.6.16 appears to be working OK, I can view registers,open splits
> etc but I am not too confident about using it for production activities at
> this stage. no posts I have found re the atk-bridge not

I think the error message about atk-bridge not being found are not critical. No doubt you won't
have assistive technologies at you disposal but I'd expect gnucash to work fine otherwise.

Geert
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Compiling Gnucash 2.6.16 on Linux Mint 18.1

Geert Janssens-4
In reply to this post by tjoen
On donderdag 30 maart 2017 10:01:05 CEST tjoen wrote:

> On Wed, 2017-03-29 at 21:53 -0700, DaveC49 wrote:
> > When I attempt to start gnucash (/usr/local/bin gnucash, I get a
> > message
> > "/usr/local/bin/gnucash: error while loading shared libraries:
> > libgnc-gnome.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> > directory".
> >
> > This is a link to libgnc-gnome.so.0.0.0 and both the link and the
> > linked
> > file are located in /usr/local/lib.  
> >
> >
>
> Several solutions possible but easiest is:
> # rm /usr/lib/libgnc-gnome.so.0
> # ln -s /usr/local/lib/libgnc-gnome.so.0 /usr/lib/

"Easiest" in "Easiest to solve your immediate problem" perhaps. However I
would not advise this unless you know very well what you are doing.

/usr/lib is the territory of the package manager. You should never manually do
things there unless you're very sure it won't interfere with that package
manager. If there's a /usr/lib/libgnc-gnome.so.0 that means gnucash is
installed from the package manager. That file is under package manager control
so shouldn't be manually manipulated.

At best you should remove the gnucash package instead. And probably you
wouldn't have to reroute the link then anymore.

Regards,

Geert
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Compiling Gnucash 2.6.16 on Linux Mint 18.1

Plutocrat
In reply to this post by David Cousens
If you're compiling software, I'll probably assume that a) you're of a technical inclination and b) there's some reason why you're compiling it as opposed to using a package.

However, in case you've missed the obvious, the getdeb repository has the latest version of gnucash and is only a few days behind the release typically.

I'm running Linux Mint 18.1. I have a file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/getdeb.list which says
deb http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu xenial-getdeb apps

Then its just a case of
apt-get update
apt-get install gnucash gnucash-docs

As a bonus, no need to recompile on every release ...

P.
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Compiling Gnucash 2.6.16 on Linux Mint 18.1

David Cousens
In reply to this post by Geert Janssens-4
Hi Geert,
 
I solved my problem with not being able to use apt-get  buid-dep gnucash. I had not enabled the Source code repositories in the Linux Mint Software Manager. Once I had done that it worked very well. Chances are if I also apply that to the GTK2 package and recompile it will fix the popup message on that as well.

I used the gtk2 package from the distro on my desktop and then compiled Gnucash without any problems. I tend to experiment a bit on my laptop and keep the desktop as a stable machine. I am also interested in getting a bit involved in the development.

David
David Cousens
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Compiling Gnucash 2.6.16 on Linux Mint 18.1

David Cousens
In reply to this post by Plutocrat
Thanks Plutocrat,

I think part of the problem I was having was that the getdeb repository had been disabled in the additional repositories section of the software manager and the source code repositories were also not enabled. With those enabled, it was no problem to get more recent binary packages and also the source  packages for compilation.

I suspect they were turned off when I tried the upgrade from 17.3 to 18 and then 18.1 (rather than a new install of 18.1 which I had done on another machine). The upgrade procedure deleted a lot of my additional repositories (it did warn me and created a list) and I had to reinstall then. It possibly also changed settings in the Software Manager at the same time so that the correct packages for the update were retrieved.

I also want to get invovled a bit more in development so I wanted to compile gnucash from the sources. I am exploring the sources at the moment to try and understand how gnucash works before finding a problem to work on. One of the problems with object oriented code is that the flow is not necessarily obvious from the source code.

David
David Cousens
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Compiling Gnucash 2.6.16 on Linux Mint 18.1

David Cousens
In reply to this post by Plutocrat
Thanks Plutocrat,

I think part of the problem I was having was that the getdeb repository had
been disabled in the additional repositories section of the software manager
and the source code repositories were also not enabled. With those enabled,
it was no problem to get more recent binary packages and also the source
packages for compilation.

I suspect they were turned off when I tried the upgrade from 17.3 to 18 and
then 18.1 (rather than a new install of 18.1 which I had done on another
machine). The upgrade procedure deleted a lot of my additional repositories
(it did warn me and created a list) and I had to reinstall then. It possibly
also changed settings in the Software Manager at the same time so that the
correct packages for the update were retrieved.

I also want to get invovled a bit more in development so I wanted to compile
gnucash from the sources. I am exploring the sources at the moment to try
and understand how gnucash works before finding a problem to work on. One of
the problems with object oriented code is that the flow is not necessarily
obvious from the source code.

David



--
View this message in context: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/Compiling-Gnucash-2-6-16-on-Linux-Mint-18-1-tp4690688p4690852.html
Sent from the GnuCash - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
David Cousens