Compiling 1.8.12 on debian

Bugzilla from martin@martinwolters.com

(g-wrap gw standard)" which I think means that I am doing something
fundamentally wrong.

Hi,

in order to enable HBCI on debian I am trying to install aqbanking and gnucash
from scratch. I use the following build sequence:

./configure --disable-error-on-warning --enable-hbci --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu
--prefix=/usr --enable-debug
make
make install

(
 --disable-error-on-warning required due to multiple warnings a la:
     'XXX' differ in signedness
)

( BTW: How do I figure out which configure options the official debian package
used? Sorry, I am a Debian-Newbie )

When starting gnucash I get the following output:
~$ gnucash --debug
<unnamed port>: In procedure scm-error in expression (scm-error (quote
misc-error) #f ...):
<unnamed port>: no code for module (g-wrap gw standard)

In the mailing list archive people talked about multiple guile-versions
causing similar things. But I don't see multiple versions on my system. Also
interesting: There is no /tmp/gnucash.trace output.

So I think I am doing something fundamentally (stupid) wrong. I used to have
the debian gnucash packages installed but removed them with -purge option. I
have a feeling that something with the guile setup is wrong. But I have no
clue how to debug. I also tried to play around with --load-path option but
didn't succeed.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance

-M

Re: Compiling 1.8.12 on debian

Andrew Sackville-West

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 00:31:28 +0100
Martin Wolters <[hidden email]> wrote:

> (g-wrap gw standard)" which I think means that I am doing something
> fundamentally wrong.

FWIW, I know there were g-wrap/guile problems with the move to gcc 4. My recollection is that they would prevent the build, so this may not apply, however a search of the archives reveals Neil's list of versions:

You need:
guile-1.6      1.6.7-1.1
guile-1.6-dev  1.6.7-1.1
guile-1.6-libs 1.6.7-1.1
guile-1.6-slib 1.6.7-1.1
guile-common   1.4-26
g-wrap                    1.9.6-3
libgwrap-runtime0         1.9.6-3
libgwrap-runtime0-dev     1.9.6-3

additionally I think you need to --purge the other versions of quile and gwrap that might be floating around, especially libgwrap*. That said, you got it to build so I don't think this is your problem, but might help.

> in order to enable HBCI on debian I am trying to install aqbanking and gnucash
> from scratch. I use the following build sequence:
>
> ./configure --disable-error-on-warning --enable-hbci --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu
> --prefix=/usr --enable-debug
> make
> make install
>
> (
>  --disable-error-on-warning required due to multiple warnings a la:
>      'XXX' differ in signedness
> )
>
> ( BTW: How do I figure out which configure options the official debian package
> used? Sorry, I am a Debian-Newbie )
>
> When starting gnucash I get the following output:
> ~$ gnucash --debug
> <unnamed port>: In procedure scm-error in expression (scm-error (quote
> misc-error) #f ...):
> <unnamed port>: no code for module (g-wrap gw standard)
>
> In the mailing list archive people talked about multiple guile-versions
> causing similar things. But I don't see multiple versions on my system. Also
> interesting: There is no /tmp/gnucash.trace output.
>
> So I think I am doing something fundamentally (stupid) wrong. I used to have
> the debian gnucash packages installed but removed them with -purge option. I
> have a feeling that something with the guile setup is wrong. But I have no
> clue how to debug. I also tried to play around with --load-path option but
> didn't succeed.
>
> Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance
>
> -M

Re: Compiling 1.8.12 on debian

Derrick Hudson

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 12:31:28AM +0100, Martin Wolters wrote:
[...]
| ( BTW: How do I figure out which configure options the official debian package
| used? Sorry, I am a Debian-Newbie )

Here is what I would do in your place:

    1) be sure you have the necessary build tools installed:
        # aptitude install build-essential fakeroot

    2) be sure you have all of the build dependencies installed
        # apt-get build-dep gnucash

    3) make sure you have the proper deb-src lines in
    /etc/apt/sources.list, for example
deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free

    4) obtain the source for gnucash
        # apt-get source gnucash

By obtaining the source with apt you will have the source that was
used to build the debian package.  Sometimes the debian maintainers
modify it for a variety of reasons.

In the source directory you will find a directory named 'debian'.
This directory contains all of the debian-specific additions used in
building the debian package.  Start with the file 'rules'.  The
'rules' file is usually a make file, and it defines how the package is
built.  There you can find the configure invocation used in creating
the package.

What I would do to customize it is to edit the rules file to change
the configure options to suit.  Also add a new entry at the top of the
debian/changelog file.  Then run 'fakeroot ./debian/rules binary' to
build your custom version of the package.

HTH,
-D

--
The Consultant's Curse:
    When the customer has beaten upon you long enough, give him

www: http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/            jabber: [hidden email]

Re: Compiling 1.8.12 on debian

Bugzilla from martin@martinwolters.com
Hi Derrick,

wonderful! This is/was an excellent help. Thanks so much. If I had asked my
question three days ago I would have saved hours of trying. :-( This is easy
and works like a charm.

Adding -enable-hbci to the rules file was all that was left for me to do. Of
course, I had already installed all the aqbanking stuff.

Thanks again ... and while I am already into thanking people now: Thanks for
gnucash! Its great.

-M

--
Martin Wolters
Campestr. 19

Re: Compiling 1.8.12 on debian

Neil Williams-2
On Sunday 08 January 2006 11:31 pm, Martin Wolters wrote:

Why are you building 1.8.12 at all when all development is on gnucash-1.9.0
using subversion? GnuCash is a complex build and no-one is developing 1.8.x
anymore.

> in order to enable HBCI on debian I am trying to install aqbanking and
> gnucash from scratch. I use the following build sequence:

(n.b. if a feature is not available in the Debian package there is usually a
VERY good reason for the omission - i.e. it won't build.)

I don't use HBCI with gnucash but the developers who do are solely working on
gnucash 1.9.0, leading to gnucash2, available via subversion:

http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Subversion

> ./configure --disable-error-on-warning

That's one mistake - if you need that option, something is already wrong in
your build environment.

> --enable-hbci
> --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --enable-debug

It's often unwise to build directly into /usr/ - use a prefix in somewhere
safer like /opt/.

> make
> make install

You don't mention sudo so I hope you are NOT trying to build gnucash as
ROOT!!! (Summary: DON'T!)

> (
>  --disable-error-on-warning required due to multiple warnings a la:
>      'XXX' differ in signedness
> )

Then you sound like you are using gcc4 along with g-wrap 1.3 - a well known
problem pairing. g-wrap 1.3 cannot produce code compatible with gcc4 and you
must switch to g-wrap 1.9 and all it's attendant libraries.

> ( BTW: How do I figure out which configure options the official debian
> package used? Sorry, I am a Debian-Newbie )

You can (via the package development page) but it's not advisable. Instead,
obtain svn, read the README.svn and use that information - IF you still want
to build from source.

Note that building from svn (or CVS with other projects) is different to
building a distributed tarball. See the README.svn for full information.

> In the mailing list archive people talked about multiple guile-versions
> causing similar things. But I don't see multiple versions on my system.

No, you've just got an old version that needs to be replaced. WHEN you replace
it, you could be left with a mixed system and that's when the multiple
version issue arises. Jump to the solution: purge g-wrap 1.3 and guile.
Install g-wrap 1.9.6-3 from testing or unstable.

> option. I have a feeling that something with the guile setup is wrong.

It is. Your compiler version means you need g-wrap 1.9 which in turn means you
may not be able to build 1.8 anyway. Switch to the subversion gnucash 1.9.0
tree and upgrade g-wrap and guile.

--

Neil Williams