Cleaning up old files

Steve Juniper
GnuCash 1.8.11 Red Hat 3
I use "allfinance" as my basic working file and keep it in a GnuCash
directory (as well as occasionally to a flash card). .xac & .log files
keep accumulating. Shouldn't they be automatically deleted or replaced
after a certain amount of time? There are now 152 files there. Is the
only option for me to periodically manually delete all of the .xac and
.log files (hoping I don't accidently delete "allfinance" as well!  Is
it possible to not make those files at all? (back up with sufficient
frequency that I don't feel I need them)
Steve J

Re: Cleaning up old files

Derek Atkins
Gnucash will autodelete the backup and log files after 30 days.
You can configure that in your Edit -> Preferences

-derek

Quoting JUNIPER <[hidden email]>:

> GnuCash 1.8.11 Red Hat 3
> I use "allfinance" as my basic working file and keep it in a GnuCash
> directory (as well as occasionally to a flash card). .xac & .log
> files keep accumulating. Shouldn't they be automatically deleted or
> replaced after a certain amount of time? There are now 152 files
> there. Is the only option for me to periodically manually delete all
> of the .xac and .log files (hoping I don't accidently delete
> "allfinance" as well!  Is it possible to not make those files at all?
> (back up with sufficient frequency that I don't feel I need them)
> Steve J

Re: Cleaning up old files

Andrew Sackville-West

JUNIPER wrote:
> GnuCash 1.8.11 Red Hat 3
> I use "allfinance" as my basic working file and keep it in a GnuCash
> directory (as well as occasionally to a flash card). .xac & .log files
> keep accumulating. Shouldn't they be automatically deleted or replaced
> after a certain amount of time? There are now 152 files there. Is the
> only option for me to periodically manually delete all of the .xac and
> .log files (hoping I don't accidently delete "allfinance" as well!  Is
> it possible to not make those files at all? (back up with sufficient
> frequency that I don't feel I need them)

I've noticed the same thing with 1.8.11. I had files back to about april
or so and finally manually deleted them. IIRC gnc is supposed to
automatically delete them after a certain point, but it doesn't seem to
be working. You can change the number of days to keep log files in
preferences->general, but as I siad, it doesn't seem to be working. You
can safely delete the old .log and .xac files every once in a while, and
if it really bothers you just put up a cron job to do it.

> Steve J

Re: Cleaning up old files

Cam Ellison-2
* Andrew Sackville-West ([hidden email]) wrote the following:

> I've noticed the same thing with 1.8.11. I had files back to about april
> or so and finally manually deleted them. IIRC gnc is supposed to
> automatically delete them after a certain point, but it doesn't seem to
> be working. You can change the number of days to keep log files in
> preferences->general, but as I siad, it doesn't seem to be working. You
> can safely delete the old .log and .xac files every once in a while, and
> if it really bothers you just put up a cron job to do it.

Same thing here - earliest file is April 19, which may date from a
Debian package upgrade.

Cheers

Cam

--
Cam Ellison  Ph.D.  R.Psych. #01417

Cam Ellison & Associates Ltd.
Management Psychology

RR 22    3446 Beach Avenue
Roberts Creek  BC  V0N 2W2

Phone: 604-885-4806
Fax:   604-885-4809

Acount view style

Adrian Speich
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Acount view style

Darryl Cousins
Hi,

Edit > Preferences > Register > Default Register Style

Preferences are always a good place to browse around for interests sake
when new to an application.

Best regards,
Darryl

On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 08:01 +0000, Adrian Speich wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any way to select an account view style (ie basic ledger, auto
> split-ledger, transaction journal)and have this as the default view in
> all accounts. At the moment I have to change the change every time I go
> into an account.
>
> Thanks
>
> Adrian

Darryl Cousins
Tree Fern Web Services (NZ) Ltd
106 Sandes St
Thames 2801
New Zealand
+64 7 868 3139
[hidden email]
http://www.treefernwebservices.co.nz/

Re: Cleaning up old files

Doctorcam <[hidden email]> writes:

> * Andrew Sackville-West ([hidden email]) wrote the following:
>>

>> I've noticed the same thing with 1.8.11. I had files back to about april
>> or so and finally manually deleted them. IIRC gnc is supposed to
>> automatically delete them after a certain point, but it doesn't seem to
>> be working. You can change the number of days to keep log files in
>> preferences->general, but as I siad, it doesn't seem to be working. You
>> can safely delete the old .log and .xac files every once in a while, and
>> if it really bothers you just put up a cron job to do it.
>
> Same thing here - earliest file is April 19, which may date from a
> Debian package upgrade.

Interesting.  For me, it looks like it's properly deleting .xac
files but NOT .log files...

I'll take a look.

Re: Cleaning up old files

Steve Juniper
I have "preferences" set to delete old files after one day, and I also
tried zero, but it doesn't seem to work at all. I guess this would
qualify as a 'bug.'

Steve

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> JUNIPER wrote:
>
>> GnuCash 1.8.11 Red Hat 3
>> I use "allfinance" as my basic working file and keep it in a GnuCash
>> directory (as well as occasionally to a flash card). .xac & .log
>> files keep accumulating. Shouldn't they be automatically deleted or
>> replaced after a certain amount of time? There are now 152 files
>> there. Is the only option for me to periodically manually delete all
>> of the .xac and .log files, hoping I don't accidently delete
>> "allfinance" as well!  Is it possible to not make those files at all?
>> (I back up with sufficient frequency that I don't feel I need them)
>

> I've noticed the same thing with 1.8.11. I had files back to about
> april or so and finally manually deleted them. IIRC gnc is supposed to
> automatically delete them after a certain point, but it doesn't seem
> to be working. You can change the number of days to keep log files in
> preferences->general, but as I siad, it doesn't seem to be working.
> You can safely delete the old .log and .xac files every once in a
> while, and if it really bothers you just put up a cron job to do it.

>> Steve J

Re: Cleaning up old files

Andrew Sackville-West

Derek Atkins wrote:

> Doctorcam <[hidden email]> writes:
>

>>* Andrew Sackville-West ([hidden email]) wrote the following:
>>
>>>I've noticed the same thing with 1.8.11. I had files back to about april
>>>or so and finally manually deleted them. IIRC gnc is supposed to
>>>automatically delete them after a certain point, but it doesn't seem to
>>>be working. You can change the number of days to keep log files in
>>>preferences->general, but as I siad, it doesn't seem to be working. You
>>>can safely delete the old .log and .xac files every once in a while, and
>>>if it really bothers you just put up a cron job to do it.
>>
>>Same thing here - earliest file is April 19, which may date from a
>>Debian package upgrade.

my earliset ones are from around that date as well.

> Interesting.  For me, it looks like it's properly deleting .xac
> files but NOT .log files...

I'm still running 1.8.11 and I upgradeed to it from 1.8.10 about that
time so... I think its a 1.8.11 issue. but that's a really long time for
me to remember anything ;)

> I'll take a look.

Re: Acount view style

Hilmar M. Carders

On a related note, for the checking account I find I always turn off the
reconciled items every time I go into the account:

   View --> Select Transactions --> Status --> Reconciled

Is it possible to set the default for an account or all accounts to show
only the unreconciled (open) items?  Is it possible to simply preserve the
last view for that account?

H.